Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-30-2018, 05:14 PM   #1
Seasonal Camper

Upper vent fridge fans

Thought I better start my own thread for this, then can easily find it when my fans show up and can give the final opinion, or bill of health so too speak... As I just said no fans yet but wanted to get everything ready when the weather is nice. So as most know there is a wire mesh to eliminate rodents on upper vent, well cut that out carefully with 4" angle grinder and a very thin cutting blade, cause I needed to save it as I can't find that size locally. That screen is sandwiched into my now removeable screen that is in the pic painted black. I made it so the vent cover sits exactly as it did before, hence the screen frame with inturned corners, Now my fan mount fits under the screen and on the roof rubber with cork on both sides to creat a gasket both sides and deaden vibration if any, that will create my wind tunnel to the fridge. The fridge is about 1 1/4 inch from the wall and I have closed all gaps around the fridge, the air that enters the bottom vent has no choice but to come up around the pipes and fins at the back of the fridge, The red tape you see in the pic is red duct tape that I used to seal the roof to the bottom of the fan mount, not that there was much to seal anyways. I will keep an eye on that to make sure it don't peel of and eventially get tangled in the fans. The rest will be straight forward just run the power from the 12v at back of fridge to the fans, but am including a manual switch should I need to shut off manually, otherwise there on when fridge goes on, and probably shut them off while traveling, time will tell. https://www.ebay.ca/itm/140mm-Best-s.../132483337272?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01535.jpg (160.7 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01536.jpg (145.4 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01537.jpg (215.6 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01538.jpg (255.8 KB, 16 views)
Old 10-07-2018, 02:13 PM   #2
Weekend Camper

Is the top going to he a solid surface of fans? If it is not then the fans will draw air from the openings next to them. If it is a solid surface of fans this should be good.
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 03:02 PM   #3
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evereddie View Post
Is the top going to he a solid surface of fans? If it is not then the fans will draw air from the openings next to them. If it is a solid surface of fans this should be good.
What isn't fans will be closed off at the top on the cork gasket with 1/4 inch plywood, or most likely Plexiglas. This system has no choice but to suck air from the bottom vent, up through the pipes and cooling grill/fins. Yesterday again since it was a beautiful afternoon here I ran my power up to the top and added some insulation in the corners all the way to the top. I have basically a wind tunnel from top to bottom, the width of the fridge of 4 inches deep, and in that 4 inches the pipes and grill are in that which takes up 2 7/8 inch of that space, leaving actually 1 1/8 inch of open space against that outside wall. I know it will be fine while parked, hope it's not to loud, and while traveling I'm planning of leaving it running, otherwise there might not be enough air flow. Time will tell I suppose, usually does with trial and error.
Old 03-17-2019, 09:19 PM   #4
Seasonal Camper

Weather's been beautiful after what seemed like 2 winters in a row, so been completing a few projects on the tailer, like finishing off the upper vent fridge fans. I added the 3- 5 1/2'' fans with a fuse and a small pushlock switch, that is accessable through a 1/2'' hole in the plastic grill. The switch is almost flush with the backside of the grill so stick the little finger in a 1/8'' and switch is off, This runs nearly silent, you have to listen to hear it, creates a dandy airflow, and when I placed a piece of plastic onto the bottom grill the draw of the draft held it there. Total DC draw is .48A. Also added LED lights ( https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Car-caravan-...53.m1438.l2649 ) into the bedroom closets and our shoe cubboard. Stole power for closets easypeasy from DC light in headboard, fished wire between the 2 layers via a 3/16'' hole and removing a couple staples in the very center. Boot closet power was a tad more challenging but stole from the back of fridge (added a small busbar). These LED's have there on switch but I also added fuses and am now waiting for a NORMAL CLOSED momentam switck that will turn on the light when the door is opened..( https://www.aliexpress.com/item/PBS-...34174c4dqTAIpE ) Now I need all the snow to dissapear to run all the ambient lighting under the skirt, but that's going to probably take a a couple weeks yet.. but Momma Bear reminded about the shortage of a towel bar in the bathroom so keeping the cook happy is priority 1