Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2011, 10:44 AM   #21
Family Vacation Member

Ok checked out the transfer box.

So you plug your 50amp cord into the 30 amp outlet, using your 50 to 30 amp adapter. then plug another cord into the 20 amp outlet and this cord leads to the transfer box which is now wired in between the second a/c and breaker box. So when you plug in the 20 amp cord the tx box senses power and auto switches the second A/C to the 20 amp outlet. Does all that sound about right.

You could also do the same thing with a 3 way light switch, but you would have to flip the switch manually. Probably wouldnt be exactly to code but would work.

shoe2728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 10:51 AM   #22
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoe2728

So you plug your 50amp cord into the 30 amp outlet, using your 50 to 30 amp adapter. then plug another cord into the 20 amp outlet and this cord leads to the transfer box which is now wired in between the second a/c and breaker box. So when you plug in the 20 amp cord the tx box senses power and auto switches the second A/C to the 20 amp outlet. Does all that sound about right.

You could also do the same thing with a 3 way light switch, but you would have to flip the switch manually. Probably wouldnt be exactly to code but would work.
I probably should have pointed out that I ran a new 30 amp marinco plug to the outside of the camper then plug in the 30 amp and put into a 20 amp line and presto, the 30 amp pulls the breaker off the 50 amp line and acts as a second power source.

Used it for 2 days at our house this weekend...never once tripped. Our 50 amp line was plugged into a 30amp outlet we have at the house.

rollingrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 12:27 AM   #23
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoe2728

Yes you could do that, the only problem, the ends of the 20 amp plug would be hot, when you connect to a 50 amp service. IF you did not remember to flip the switch you would have a back feed into the 20 amp, & IF you accidently tried to plug it in the outlet, you would get a big arc! The transfer switch being used in this application, is a DPDT (Double Pole, Double Throw) relay, that cuts out the 20 amp going only to the a/c, so you will not get the back feed.
'12 Crossroads Rushmore RF38FL (ours!)
Barry, the ADHD x 2 German Shepherd mix, Granddog.
FFFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 07:07 AM   #24
Family Vacation Member

Your right, it would back feed, if you forgot to throw the switch back. Hope no one tried this already.
I would go with the Auto tx anyway, just for convenience. I just wasnt sure how they were connecting it up to began with.

shoe2728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 08:04 AM   #25
Family Vacation Member

Picked up the crossroads today, no more squeaky floor. That said, I now have some new "dings" on the rear corner molding where I wasn't paying attention and back into my storage spot. Now the newness has worn off. Its not bad just mad at myself for doing it.

rollingrock is offline   Reply With Quote