Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-04-2021, 11:09 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

WiFi extender help

I bought my fifth wheel new last year and have been loving it. Been doing as many 3-7 day trips in as I can. (Still consider myself a newbie). But we are ready to venture into more long term stays - like a few months. The thing we have learned is how spotty to non existent wi-fi can be in parks. We are looking at staying for 6 months or so at a park that says (and reviews mostly confirm) very good WiFi even for streaming movies but that farther out spots may need a WiFi booster or WiFi extender.

I’m no rocket scientist and not great with the 2020 era of technology so I was hoping someone could explain easily and simply to me what the difference is and what would be the easiest and best option for us to buy and install. I am REALLY hoping to avoid drilling any holes in the exterior. I’m just not understanding the stuff I’m reading online about these things. We are looking for something that will allow us to watch the occasional Netflix movie and be able to use the internet on a desktop

My fifth wheel comes with a pre-wired winegard satellite system but I honestly don’t know what that does for me either. I’m Assuming tv? Other than that I see nothing that deals with WiFi.

Thank you in advance for any help
Tim
Old 01-05-2021, 07:55 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

You have two coax ports outside. One is for cable tv and connected to a booster either behind the tv or on the ceiling in the bedroom; and the other is to hookup a satellite. I’ve never used a WiFi extender but am curious as to the answers.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 11:12 AM   #3
Site Team

I use the Bearifi BearExtender. It is fairly inexpensive and it does a good job so far.
But here is a list of alternatives for you to look at.

https://www.satelliteinternet.com/re...nders-for-rvs/

and other options from Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Rv-Wifi-Boost...v+Wifi+Booster

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 11:54 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

I googled 2020 top RV WiFi extenders. https://top5-wifiboosters.com/us_en/best-wifi-boosters

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 09:21 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

I use the WIFI Camp-pro II. I made a pole mount out of PVC and hang it on the slide edge and use the included suction cup to hold it in place. It works great. It definitely improves the signal from around the campground. I have used it to stream Netflix to my Smart TV without buffering. The only drawback is it is the login software is awkward to perform all the steps each time you camp (maybe they upgraded the software in newer versions).
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 06:53 PM   #6
Family Vacation Member

I think I can help. 1st thing to do, is figure wether you have the Winegard Connect 2.0 or the Winegard Air 360. I too have had to figure this out myself and my rig was pre-wired for the Winegard. Once you have that figured out, let me know and I’ll tell you what to do from there.

Tony & Lynne
Whidbey Island, WA
2021 Sunset Trail SuperLite SS212RB
2019 Ford F-350 FX-4 Crew cab, 6.2L gas
Tonyg2724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 08:17 PM   #7
Weekend Camper

Thank you everyone for the replies. I will check these out and also find out what exactly I have. I bridge it’s the Winegard 360 but I’ll check in a couple days when I get home

Tim
Old 01-10-2021, 08:26 PM   #8
Family Vacation Member

Get on the roof of your rig and look at the antenna dome. It will either say Air 360 or Connect 2.0

Tony & Lynne
Whidbey Island, WA
Old 01-10-2021, 08:36 PM   #9
Family Vacation Member

I was looking at these on Amazon and its very confusing as to which ones need access to the router to set up and which don't. In a campground, you aren't going to have access to the router. The bearing looks like it only connects 1 pc. Is that true? I would want to connect multiple devices.
Dallasrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 09:52 AM   #10
Full Time Camper

Dallasrules - On the Camp-pro you set up the system within the router that is supplied with the kit. Everything is done on your computer. Once you connect your laptop/computer to the Camp-pro router then you enter the campground login and password and you are done. All your phones, computer and TV connect to the Camp-pro and the Camp-pro stays connected to the campground wifi. Hope this clears things up.
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 07:50 AM   #11
New Camper

I have the Winegard Air 360 but prewired for connect 2.0. I climbed on the roof and saw another black lid like thing that had a sticker stating it is prewired for connect 2.0. I assume this is the power source, not sure. Inside there is also a black connection box for a cable that has a button for antenna and a button for wifi from winegard. The service guy stated all we needed was a sim card but in climbing on top I don't see how that's even possible. Winegard stated it should have a clear lid I unscrew and I check for sim card. Well I don't have that either. So I am lost on what I do from here. Do you replace the Air 360 with the Connect or add to it, or do I have it? There is no cap on my ceiling anywhere inside like a lot of people mention. I have a 2021 Zinger Lite if that helps. Any help is appreciated.
helms588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 03:50 PM   #12
New Camper

Did you get any answers? I am in the same boat. Not sure what to do.
Hokie822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 08:47 PM   #13
New Camper

Same boat

I have the same winegard 360 with connect 2.0, I have seen videos where there is a cap inside the rv and under the cap the wires to plug the gw 1000. I have looked everywhere and I can not find anything remotely close to the cap, does anyone have any ideas on how to connect the modem.
Fonchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 10:17 PM   #14
Weekend Camper

I did some digging as my trailer has the same sticker and no disc on the inside.
So On the roof I have the black square and the WineGard 360....
Please note... the 360 and the 360+ are different animals.

Read the fine print. "This RV is PreWired for..."

I believe that under that plate is ONLY the battery lead to power the WineGard WF2-435. This is a separate dome where it has the slot for the sim and connects to the power lead. The other dome is only the TV/Radio antenna.

Still looking to confirm but based on video's this is probably the solution they are advertising..
Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 11:29 PM   #15
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator View Post
I did some digging as my trailer has the same sticker and no disc on the inside.
So On the roof I have the black square and the WineGard 360....
Please note... the 360 and the 360+ are different animals.

Read the fine print. "This RV is PreWired for..."

I believe that under that plate is ONLY the battery lead to power the WineGard WF2-435. This is a separate dome where it has the slot for the sim and connects to the power lead. The other dome is only the TV/Radio antenna.

Still looking to confirm but based on video's this is probably the solution they are advertising..

I had the same questions and same issues when I first got my trailer. I went to use the system and ran into major complications. So I created the YouTube video in the link below to help clear up confusion surrounding the Winegard system. Hope it helps.

https://youtu.be/fFmLyou415g

Tony & Lynne
Whidbey Island, WA