Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-04-2021, 04:55 PM   #1
New Camper

2021 Volante 3861BL ice maker winterize

I have winterized the entire 5th wheel, but the one thing that has me puzzled is how to winterize the ice maker line or drain it. Under the slide where the fridge is located there is a blue line similar to the low point lines which I drained. Other than that do not see any other drain or way to drain that line running from under the sink to the fridge ice maker Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 11-05-2021, 04:27 PM   #2
Family Vacation Member

Now I could be wrong so I hope if I am then someone will chime in.

I would open the drain and then turn on ice maker. when the solenoid opens for water supply, it should run backwards and gravity should drain it out the blue line.

if not then I would somehow connect a 40 psi air supply and run ice maker and it will blow it out when it cycles.
Airborne Elite Sidewinder pin, Maxx air 7500 Fan
2015 GMC LTZ,6.2 Gas, Short Box, Firestone F3 air ride.
Bilstein Shocks
Miniozzy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 05:44 PM   #3
New Camper

Thanks for the reply, I will give that a try and see what happens. I have looked all over the underside of the slide where the fridge sits and have been unable to see any other drain.
Old 11-05-2021, 09:13 PM   #4
Site Team

We have a residential Frigidaire refrigerator and the local repair guy told me that when they winterize them they blow out with air and trip the ice maker solenoid to purge the water but he would not ( for liability reasons) tell me how to do that. Instead he said if you have a air compressor that I could leave connected for a 24 hour period to just hook it up then empty all the water from the water in door - remove the filter in the inside and leave the ice maker on and it would cycle several times and expel all the water so that is what i did.

After about 12 hours there was no more ice coming out but I left it on overnight to make sure. I guess we will know in the spring.

Now others have suggested to simply run antifreeze thru it but for us that was not a option. The wife has a bad reaction to it and no matter how much we rinse/flush it still bothers her the first few tanks. So no antifreeze = Happy wife and we know the rest!
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 03:31 PM   #5
Weekend Camper

Thumbs up Residential refrigerator

I have a Crossroads Cruiser and in slide out under the stove there is a small panel .Behind the panel is a water line with a shutoff valve.Turn the valve off and there is a clear line with a compression fitting.Undo the fitting make sure valve is turned off.Get a Tupperware container or pan and drain the water by opening the valve pink antifreeze or air should come out of it then turn it off water line up to ice maker is now winterized.Now get air compressor and attach it to the compression fitting.Now no more than 40 psi turn on air compressor and there should be a button on your ice maker.Press the button so it pumping water to make ice after a few times air will start to come out.Do it till water stops coming out.Thats it your done. Now in the spring run clean water to the valve until it runs clear into Tupperware or pan,when it does reattach it to the ice maker.Now you won't have funny tasting pink ice. Good luck!
daynawide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 08:19 AM   #6
New Camper

I have a 3860RL with the same setup. I turn the valve off under the cabinet between the fridge and the stove and then with all low point drains open, 2 in the front and 1 under the kitchen slide, use a small hand held compressor to blow all the water out. Then close all the drains and start running antifreeze through the system at all the faucets and toilet. Then go out under the kitchen slide and open the low point again and it will run antifreeze out there. It leaves a little water in the plastic tube between the valve under the cabinet and the fridge. I put a towel in there to cover the exposed tubing. Haven't had any issues so far but where I live, it doesn't get that cold for extended periods of time.
Shilliard is offline   Reply With Quote