Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-29-2019, 09:21 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Antifreeze Quality Differences

As usual in the late summer, the local stores are advertising RV antifreeze. What I don't understand is why there are "economy" and "premium" versions? The price varies from $3.50 to $14.00 Cdn per jug. I used the economy version last year without incident, so what makes the premium version worth buying?

Thanks
Old 08-29-2019, 09:41 AM   #2
Site Team

If there is a difference, I haven't noticed it. I have always bought a case of it at a time when they have it on sale and I need some.
Seems like some years ago somebody was saying the more expensive stuff was the best and the way to go. I don't know as anyone has ever verified that.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 11:01 AM   #3
Site Team

I have not used anti freeze for years but i dont remember there being 2 different kinds at least around here. Most run from $1.99 on sale to $3.99 regular price. I did learn there two different ingredients - ethanol and propylene glycol maybe thats the price difference? I do not have any so cant check what it would be in the local pink stuff. Maybe someone will have a better answer.
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 11:57 AM   #4
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagst1 View Post
I have not used anti freeze for years but i dont remember there being 2 different kinds at least around here. Most run from $1.99 on sale to $3.99 regular price. I did learn there two different ingredients - ethanol and propylene glycol maybe thats the price difference? I do not have any so cant check what it would be in the local pink stuff. Maybe someone will have a better answer.
What do you use or do you just blow out the lines. If you blow out the lines, do you blow from the low points drains, or the antifreeze winterizing hose location?
Old 08-29-2019, 12:23 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

When I have blown out the lines. I purchased an air plug that screws into the city water inlet. It connects into the air hose just like a air tire inflater. See pictures below. That being said: I personally don’t rely on just blowing out the lines in colder climates. I’m always afraid that some water might remain in a pipe joint or elbow that will freeze and burst. It only takes two gallons of the RV antifreeze to completely winterize my 5er. For the piece of mind I think 6-8 bucks is priceless.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1885B368-B144-41E1-A989-C5E2DDC6CB13.jpg (366.8 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg 88EC03C7-42EE-48F2-9BEC-87C77621A2E0.jpg (360.0 KB, 12 views)

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 01:12 PM   #6
Site Team

I have a adapter like in the above post that goes in the city water connection but i add a filter like they use to paint cars to remove moisture from the air line. I have a 60 gal. compressor that i set to 45 psi. After draining everything close all faucets and low point drains then bypass the water heater. Turn on the air to pressurize the lines then with the water heater drain open open the bypass valve to blow out the tank. I do this several times till a blue paper towel under the drain stays dry. Close the bypass then do all the faucets one at a time -open and close till no water comes out allowing the lines to pressurize in between.The last thing i do is open and close the low point drains till the paper towel stays dry.

DISCLAIMER-- this works for me but it takes a long time and i have never had a line freeze. TRY AT YOUR OWN RISK.

We have lows in the winter in the teens and sometimes below zero and still no problems.
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 08:52 PM   #7
Site Team

Here's a little explanation of the different products:

Tech Tips: RV Antifreeze: Not All the Same - RV Life

I do know that some use a cheap vodka as antifreeze. No aftertaste after lines are purged.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 02:41 PM   #8
New Camper

You don't want car anti-freeze in your potable water is what I have been told.The RV antifreeze is more like washer fluid.
Pickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 03:24 PM   #9
Weekend Camper

I 'm in Michigan, and I have had RV antifreeze freeze in the toilet bowl and lines. No damage as I caught it early and ran hot water through it to melt everything.
Old 09-05-2019, 03:51 PM   #10
RC3
Weekend Camper

Ethanol (cheap) leaves an alcohol taste smell until water is run through the lines for a bit, while propolyne leaves no taste or smell.
RC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 07:33 PM   #11
Weekend Camper

Some brands do freeze but don't expand like water does. Last winter the toilet water was slushy but no damage was done.