Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-22-2018, 10:39 AM   #1
HCF
Weekend Camper

Any tips to keep pest out?

Hi! We just finished winterizing our Zinger and put it in storage. My concern is keeping out unwanted pest such as mice. Any helpful tips would be appreciated. I've already looked for any openings and filled with foam insulation. But given the overall quality I'm sure there is a way for them to get in. I was told to use moth balls but we really don't want to go that route. Thanks in advance!

HCF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 11:27 AM   #2
Site Team

Is your rig stored at home?
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 11:32 AM   #3
HCF
Weekend Camper

No. I have to pay for storage. It is on gravel outside. We emptied it and cleaned it well.

HCF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 11:52 AM   #4
Site Team

At least you're not on grass, or in some old pole barn half full of hay.

The year I feel that we finally got ours sealed up, we were fall camping during small game season. We had mice. We were in a National Forest campground with woods all around. I went to town close by and got some traps, spray foam, and some steel wool. My wife and I pull all drawers out, opened every cupboard door. (they have holes all over these things, and some big enough for a cat to crawl thru)
The small holes I filled with foam, bigger and BIG holes I stuffed steel wool in and then sealed them with foam. I went underneath and sealed all I could find there. Look especially close at both ends of the rig. They like to leave openings there. Look real close in front of the rear bumper. If you have a slide out with the rack and pinion, close it up as tight as possible around those shafts that go thru the frame. I used a really heavy duty sand paper I have for a disc sander/grinder. Leave the sandy side out.
So far we haven't had any more mice INSIDE the trailer. They can still get in the front storage compartment. That's impossible to seal, but you can seal that so they can't access the inside of your unit.

If you can visit your rig when ever you want, then bait some traps and place them around in the rig on newspaper. Once winter sets in in earnest the varmints slow down considerably.

Good luck.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 05:20 PM   #5
Seasonal Camper

i use engine starting fluid (either) But my trailer is in the back yard. I spray every 4-5 days a good spray into a rag in the 30A cord cubby at back of trailer, a rag in the see through at front of trailer, and a generous amount into a old soup can at easy access right by the door. Myself and a buddy each do this and since starting have never had a problem. The clue came when the 40 year old tractor never had a mouse in the cab with the either can under the seat, and the new tractor had a mouse in the first 6 months.. In the spring 1/2 day with window open + the screen door, that smell is gone. But if your trailer is close enough to go once a week, might be worth the 5-6 cans over winter, and leave the cans inside,seems they have a tendency to kinda give off the scent regardless, (leak)
Old 10-22-2018, 06:36 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

I recommend doing what Lloyd said to do by crawling underneath the unit and seal up every hole you can find. Also seal up all the areas where plumbing runs up through the floor and around the furnace and ducting where it goes through the floor. When stored I put some cotton balls soaked with peppermint oil placed in small plastic cups in various spots on the floor throughout the camper and also in the storage compartments and the outdoor kitchen. Have not had any unwanted visitors yet.
2021 Ford F-250 XLT Premium
6.2L, 6 3/4 ft bed, FX4. Tow pkg.
sjk1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 09:16 AM   #7
Weekend Camper

Mice do not like SNUGGLE dryer sheets or the green Irish Spring soap. We use both and have for many years and have never have evidence of critters..........I go overboard with the sheets but better to be safe than sorry.......
Old 10-25-2018, 07:41 PM   #8
Seasonal Camper

Bounce dryer sheets, steel wool and Comet

My Parents owned a seasonal campgrounds for 28 years, and for many years, I owned a seasonal camper there, placed in the woods year 'round.
The best thing you can do for mice is to make real sure you are removing anything that they might like to eat. Take your spices out. Clean everything well, take your toaster and coffee maker out for the winter. Don't even think about leaving your grill in the storage area.
Get your unit as tight as possible. However, even if your unit is bulletproof, mice will find a way in, if they smell something they want.
I discourage the use of any poisons inside, it is designed to attract them. Then they get in, eat it, die, and smell up the place.
I have always used Bounce regular (not odd scented) dryer sheets, and peppermint oil to repel them. Renew as needed to keep the scent strong.
Also, I sprinkle Comet cleanser all the way around the wheels, and the tongue jack. They won't walk in it. I keep my TT in a shelter, and obviously that will be less effective outdoors.
Wingerdinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 02:29 PM   #9
New Camper

Irish spring soap bars and dryer sheets )
Gavin696 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 04:07 PM   #10
Weekend Camper

Keep critters out

Since ‘05, I go to the dollar store pick up a box of dryer sheets put them all through out the RV, I use every one in the box, more the merrier, lol. In the spring I pick them up and set off a big bomb for any spiders or other insects. Never had a problem.
Sportsfan949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 05:31 PM   #11
Weekend Camper

Send a message via AIM to Woody Send a message via MSN to Woody Send a message via Yahoo to Woody
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsfan949 View Post
Since ‘05, I go to the dollar store pick up a box of dryer sheets put them all through out the RV, I use every one in the box, more the merrier, lol. In the spring I pick them up and set off a big bomb for any spiders or other insects. Never had a problem.
My biggest problem here in MS are the beatles that move
in by the thousands to spend the winter, they are so small
there is no way to keep them out, then I use a bug killer
spray and then later sweep them up and they do stink and
they do bite you. Any one have a solution for this pest I would
like to hear it.

2006 Cruiser CF29RE (sold)

1996 F350 PSD Dully (sold)

Honda 2000i (2)
Woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 07:38 PM   #12
New Camper

www.storeitsafe.ca

check out this website. Been using this stuff for 3 years - it is amazing. spray once when storing and pressure wash in spring to clear off the oils.
No mice in RV.
Old 10-28-2018, 08:06 PM   #13
Weekend Camper

Agree!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorangs View Post
Mice do not like SNUGGLE dryer sheets or the green Irish Spring soap. We use both and have for many years and have never have evidence of critters..........I go overboard with the sheets but better to be safe than sorry.......
This is what we use,too! We have used Bounce dryer sheets, but we'll also give Snuggle a try.
bbfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 10:45 AM   #14
Weekend Camper

pest.

For the past 18 years I have been using Oil of Peppermint. I pour some in saucers. I place one in the bedroom , one in the bath, and two in the living and kitchen area. I have never had any problems with pest, except a bug here or there. I just ordered a 16 oz. bottle on Amazon Prime today for 33.99. Great price. It is usually in the 60.00 price range. Hope this is helpful. By the way my camper sets out side and is covered. You can reuse what is in the saucers when you open your camper up.
Old 10-29-2018, 05:36 PM   #15
Family Vacation Member

on my zinger, I always used "Fresh Cab" from tractor supply. They discontinued it for a while but I understand it's back again. I've never had a mouse issue while using this product which smells like pot pourri, smells good.
If i put the stabilizing jacks down, I put a sock filled with moth balls in the bottom "Y" section of the jack to keep mice from climbing up.
NH Horseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 02:21 AM   #16
Gone Traveling

Here, I am sharing a detailed guide to keep pest away from your RV:

Keep your RV completely clean. There shouldn't be any food grain at the food or corners. Mice love the dirty and dark corner, so try to clean corner appropriately.
At the end of camping, remove all food from your RV. In other words, get all food out and wash every sticky place.
Have you listened about insect screens? Please install insect screen at the entry points of all food keeping places like refrigerator etc. Secondly, you should also install them at hot water heaters and furnace etc.
Here’s a tip about using mothballs. Instead of scattering loose pellets around your RV, place them in small covered bowls and poke holes in the pot. They’ll stay contained while still emitting their repelling powers!
Mice poison could also be used in the case of excess of mice.
Cover RV holes.
Cover you power outlet with good sticky tape.
You can also try any ultrasonic product to keep them away.
Fresh Cab repellents could also be used.
Remedios_Sharrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 09:51 PM   #17
Weekend Camper

We use Irish spring bar soap placed through out the trailer near any potential access areas and in the storage areas. It has worked so far and then we a clean smelling trailer in the spring and soap for the year.
Old 09-15-2019, 08:00 PM   #18
Weekend Camper

Try a product called Fresh Cab. Four little pouches per box and each pouch has a potpourri of stuff that smells like pine. Very effective. I buy 3-4 boxes and place pouches all over inside including the under belly..
Old 09-15-2019, 08:25 PM   #19
Family Vacation Member

Stainless steel kitchen scrubbers before foaming can help, but also remove all cellophane and cardboard/ wax paper wrapped foods that attract; they can smell/ detect thru the wrappers; some say the electronic repellers work, and they (DO seem to) help in our home kitchen on all except occasional ants/ roaches :-) (usually during rainy season)
TerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 07:24 AM   #20
Weekend Camper

Do everything all have said, simple but time consuming is to make the bottom completely impenetrable.
Also equally important is to make access difficult. Meaning eliminating all ground contact. Mice are not vertical jumpers. Keep stabilizers retracted. I learned years ago mice when my aircraft was indoor hangered love getting in the landing gear of aircraft. Ultimately into the wing and could build nests. (Low wing aircraft with retractable landing gear) They simply climb up the tires an gain entry. No different than an RV. So I’ll attach pictures how I “wrap “ tires/wheels with light guage roof flashing 10-12”. Zip screws at joint seam and remove and re install every year. Also a picture of closing up the slide shaft. Heavier flashing .032 with a fashioned rubber scution and a dab of bearing grease. In one night I had five mice gain entry through he slide shaft. After these measures I’ve never had a mice inside my Zinger.
1995 Ram 1500 4x4 5.4 Gasser/Hunt Truck (cherry)
Bowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pest, winterizing, zinger