Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-06-2012, 01:07 PM   #1
New Camper

Hi, just wondering if I should use some type oftarp cover (made specifically for RV, sold at dealership) to wrap over my Zinger 26BH trailer for the snowy winter months (I live in northern Canada). The trailer will be parked outside all winter. I already have wheel covers and an air conditioning cover, just wondering about the rest of the trailer.
shoowana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 03:05 PM   #2
Family Vacation Member

We live in Northern Alberta and have never covered the units we had, also never covered the tires or air conditioning.

"My windows aren't dirty....That's my dog's nose Art"

2010 Seville 35CK

2011 Dodge 3500 D.D.MCAB

https://i900.photobucket.com/albums/a...r/photo2-2.jpg
Hummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 04:23 PM   #3
Seasonal Camper

From what I have read, tarping the AC or trailer is an excellent way to have issues with condensation. We don't cover anything on our trailer, and it seems to be doing fine.

SOB 5er
lenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 07:04 AM   #4
Weekend Camper

I do cover my wheels when the rv is not on the road even in the summer, but have never covered my whole rv or a/c. A friend of mine parked his boat in 1 of those tarp sheds over the alberta winter and found it full of mold in the spring and that had quite a bit of airflow.

BrianEdited by: Badwin
Badwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 03:24 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

I am also on board with not covering unit. They are built to be outside...with proper care not covering should never be an issue. Generally, covering unit does more damage than good.
2014 Zinger 32QB
ewbldavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 01:01 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to mwebber78

I'm on the other side, I've always owned a RV specific Adco breathable cover. The type you require is dependent on your region, and Adco or the CampingWorld website can guide you on this. In snowy areas with freeze/thaw cycles MANY folks find water damage in the spring. Folks who don't live in an area that receives 100+ inches of snow have no idea how harsh the winters are on the seals and openings of a coach.

Short story, we had record snow a few years ago that actually made the headers on large super slides bow and flattened axles. Think about 3500lbs of snow on your roof, if I have to shovel my stick built house with 2x6 rafters how do you think a 2"x2" RV truss with 1/2" plywood fairs?

Anyways, a properly installed cover is a good investment depending on your area, do not use a poly-tarp as they will create condensation and rub the finish on your trailer. Also, keep your roof vents closed and put a few buckets of Damprid in the trailer.

Edited by: mwebber78
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote