Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-07-2018, 12:54 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

First time Winterization

Hello group, first year with our new rig Sunset Trail 239BH. Had the dealership winterize it and just picked it up yesterday.

Question: Are there any recommended steps to winterize the black tank?

I flushed it out thoroughly with the hose-flush connector. I was considering pouring a few gallons down the toilet and placing one of our “orange fresh” packets and let it sit over the winter. Then putting a few inches of water in the toilet itself to keep down any fumes.

I’m in the the Seattle area so our winters are mild and the rig will be inside a barn covered, I’m not so concerned with freezing temps, just looking for best practice and tips for the black tank. Thanks group
Muggs43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 06:40 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

When I finish up for the winter, I clean the black tank out well with the tank flush and fill it a couple of times and dump it. Then the only thing that goes in it is the antifreeze that I flush down the toilet by letting the antifreeze cycle through the flush system. Once the pink stuff starts coming out when I flush it I stop. That’s all I do. I don’t know what they charge you to winterize your unit but it only takes about $6 or a couple gallons of RV antifreeze if you do it yourself. If I was you I would learn to do it yourself, then you know it’s done right.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 11:19 PM   #3
Seasonal Camper

Muggs, I'm not exact what you mean by mild winters, but if that includes anything freezing at all, even for a one night, then you better eliminate everything that holds water, everywhere. There are just to many fittings hidden in places that you have to stand on your head to get to that will take the fun right out of plumbing, and camping. You know the saying, preventative medicine now, or a whole lot of learning later, the hard way, lol..
Old 10-08-2018, 05:19 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

I've been doing exactly what Papa-T does with 7 trailers over 15 years. Have not had a single problem. Now I just jinxed myself!

Breckenridge, CO
'08 Crossroads Sunset Trail ST30BH Traded
'21 Grand Design Reflection 31MB 5er
'22 Cougar 29RLI 5er
'23 RAM 2500 4X4 CTD
coastn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 02:19 PM   #5
Family Vacation Member

After cleaning out your black tank, do 1 or the other of the following.
1. Dump enough entifreeze into the toilet to cover the dump valve, close the toilet flush and allow just a ought anti-freeze to cover the seal .
2. Leave the dump valve open to allow a winter condominium for all the mice and other rodents to climb into your tank for the winter!
Your choice. I know what mine would be.
NH Horseman is offline   Reply With Quote