Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-31-2017, 08:27 AM   #21
Seasonal Camper

I"m sure I go overboard, but here is what I do. I open all the taps, the cap for the fresh water tank, take out the water heater plug, bypass water heater and open the low point drains.

Then I connect two old washer hoses I kept from my last change which I feed to a Y connector and put the end in a bucket. I close the low point drains. I hook up my compressor to my city water intake with one of those air nipples and turn it on. From there I close the taps starting at the ones closest to the city intake working my way out ending at the washer hook up. Usually it's only blowing a mist. When I'm done, all the taps are closed.

I then connect the air nipple to the black tank cleaner and plow that out.

Because I use my fresh water tank, (it has come in handy when parks lose electricity and subsequently well water or pressure is low), I use a funnel and pour 2 gallons of RV antifreeze into the fresh tank. I turn on the pump and open all the taps starting at the washer and working my way backwards until I have pink coming out. Then I change bypass back and run the hot tap in the kitchen sink until I see antifreeze come out the plug opening. This put antifreeze into the intake pipe at the top of the tank.

After all that I open the taps the low point drains and the fresh tank drain. Then I split a gallon of antifreeze between sinks, shower and toilet. Once it's done draining, I close all the taps.

I know it is probably overkill but it only takes me a little extra time and it give me peace of mind. I also have a check list to make sure I get the washer hookup, outside shower, fresh tank etc. The extra 30 minutes I spend is far less time and effort than chasing down and repairing a split pipe.

Every year when I winterize I think to myself I'm going to disconnect the washer hook ups then time gets away from me in the spring.

SeanRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 02:18 PM   #22
Site Team

I never put RV anti freeze in my fresh water tank!!!
It's almost impossible to get it all out. Plus it's not necessary. What water that's left in the tank has plenty of room for expansion when it freezes.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 02:00 PM   #23
Full Time Camper

X2.

Breckenridge, CO
'08 Crossroads Sunset Trail ST30BH Traded
'21 Grand Design Reflection 31MB 5er
'22 Cougar 29RLI 5er
'23 RAM 2500 4X4 CTD
coastn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 05:08 PM   #24
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
I never put RV anti freeze in my fresh water tank!!!
It's almost impossible to get it all out. Plus it's not necessary. What water that's left in the tank has plenty of room for expansion when it freezes.
I'm not concerned about water in the tank. I'm concerned about water in the hose from the tank to the pump. For all I know there is a roller coaster of loops from point A to point B. I know there likely isn't anything in there and as I said, I probably over do it.

I only use the fresh water tank to supplement water pressure and flush the toilet if we lose water in a campground. Have bottle water for drinking. Actually this is the first camper I've had that has the hose and bypass at the pump.

SeanRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 04:40 PM   #25
Family Vacation Member

Mark , somewhere close to the end of video, they say to open both gray and black tank valves with the sewer hose attached. I presume the sewer hose is open at the end. Do you think rodents can crawl up in the tanks like that, and somehow get in the camper? I do like the video.

Happy Camping Yall
SJSS Slingshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 04:56 PM   #26
Seasonal Camper

Take the sewer hose off and put it away for winter, probably in your rear bumper, and put your safety cap back on where you normally attach the hose. After you winterize you'll probably find lots of thing that you want done to your own perfection, like rodent control, tire covers, things like that.
Old 11-21-2017, 05:03 PM   #27
Family Vacation Member

Thanks , Ace, that is what I thought. But do you still leave the valves open with the safety cap on?

Happy Camping Yall
Old 11-21-2017, 06:53 PM   #28
Seasonal Camper

I close mine, and leave about a gallon of pink in both the gray and black tank. Thinking this will help keep the seals moist and eliminate sticking or stuck valves, My first year also but hopefully I got it all correct also. Something I am also trying is either for rodent control, Buddy and I have come to a conclusion that is why the older tractor in his yard has never had mice invade his older tractor's cab, because of the either can under the seat. So I faithfully weekly spray some either into a soup can (about a 1/8 inch) and set this inside the trailer by the door so I don't have to step up and in. No guarantee it works but anything is worth a try to prevent ever having them just once. My trailer has never had them so I want to keep it that way, I also have peppermint oil placed in a half dozen spots around the trailer, in the through and through compartment, outside kitchen, cord compartment, bathroom, and bed area, where ever seems handy. I'm a total believer on preventative maintenance, always the easiest and cheapest method.
Old 11-22-2017, 05:02 AM   #29
Family Vacation Member

Thanks Ace for the advice, this is my first time winterizing, we bought it used in March of this year, trying to learn all we can. We have learned a lot on these forums since we joined in March. I am to a do it yourselfer. Thanks again

Happy Camping Yall