Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2018, 05:49 PM   #1
Family Vacation Member

Northeast winterization

Does anyone else use an air compressor thru city water connection to winterize their water lines?
jmnsn57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 06:43 PM   #2
Site Team

Yes. I do, and others here on the forum also use that method.

I also use the pink stuff after blowing the lines. Always been afraid there might be a low spot that moisture will settle in and cause trouble.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 08:18 PM   #3
Site Team

Same as Lloyd.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 08:38 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

I only use the RV antifreeze. With our cold NC winters I’m always afraid a little water will remain somewhere and freeze and break in a hard to get to area. For the price of a couple gallons and my sanity of not having to worry about it I will stay with the RV antifreeze. If you blowout the lines; what do you do about the water pump? Again, I would be afraid some water would remain and mess up the pump. Not that one way is wrong or right but I’ll keep doing as I’ve always done.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 08:09 AM   #5
Seasonal Camper

Same as Lloyd and Mark. Blow out the lines first then run pink until I see it come out each faucet. Cheap insurance.

SeanRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 11:56 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

I guess I jumped and didn’t read all the post. I side with Lloyd as well. I will blow out the lines and then use the RV antifreeze. I think you use less antifreeze that way.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Old 05-07-2018, 09:24 PM   #7
Site Team

I blow my lines out with an air compressor and put antifreeze in the drains. Of course, it doesn't get too cold during the winter here in central Virginia. We only had one week last winter that stayed below 20°F. I did lose a can of ginger ale that I forgot and left in the outside kitchen refrigerator.

2013 Silverado 2500HD LTZ CC 6.6L Duramax Diesel
2023 Rockwood 2445WS
Buster, miniature Dachshund
2023: 9 trips, 48 nights in 12 states, 2 provinces, 8120 miles
2022: 3 trips, 18 nights in 4 states, 2352 miles
2019: 7 trips, 43 nights in 6 states, 5336 miles
DavisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 06:04 PM   #8
Seasonal Camper

The benefit to the antifreeze is it will dilute any water that settles in low points.
SeanRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 08:21 AM   #9
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanRN View Post
The benefit to the antifreeze is it will dilute any water that settles in low points.
I agree. The cost of $2 a gallon at Walmart for RV/Marine Antifreeze is a cheep insurance. I can easily do mine with two gallons.

Old 05-15-2018, 12:39 PM   #10
Weekend Camper

I use that method also but make sure you regulate the pressure when you push the water out, the system is not set up for 100psi and you will end up making a leak.
I live in West Texas so I don't flush they system with pink so far so good.
catdaddy1rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 12:42 PM   #11
Weekend Camper

I blow my lines out. Pink stuff in the drains only. Live in Winston Salem area of NC. It will get into the 20s a time or two any given winter.
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 12:55 PM   #12
Site Team

I also blow mine out. Have for many years with out any problems. I take my time and blow the lines several times till no water comes out on a paper towel. Set compressor to 45 psi and be sure to drain compressor tank before starting. I also use a inline filter like painters use to trap any moisture from the compressor.
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 01:48 PM   #13
Seasonal Camper

Yes...been using that method for at least 10 years...never a problem...I do put RV antifreeze in the traps and toilet and leave all spigots open....I also put enough antifreeze in the traps to get some in the tanks to maybe help protect the dump valves...
** MEMBER of the MASON-DIXON BUNCH **
** MEMBER of the Northeast Adventure Rally Group **
** MEMBER of the Montana Owners **
** MEMBER of Jayco Owners forum **
sola123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 02:40 PM   #14
Weekend Camper

I used this method last winter with no problem. Remember to empty both fresh water tank and hot water heater, Also, open hot and cold on each sink, faucet and shower- I did each individually rather that all at same time (prevents loss of air pressure).
priceky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 03:07 PM   #15
New Camper

Winterize rv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa-T View Post
I only use the RV antifreeze. With our cold NC winters I’m always afraid a little water will remain somewhere and freeze and break in a hard to get to area. For the price of a couple gallons and my sanity of not having to worry about it I will stay with the RV antifreeze. If you blowout the lines; what do you do about the water pump? Again, I would be afraid some water would remain and mess up the pump. Not that one way is wrong or right but I’ll keep doing as I’ve always done.
I low out the lines and add RV antifreeze but also make sure to drain the hot water heater tank. IMPORTANT!
fredph32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 07:58 AM   #16
Weekend Camper

air vs pink stuff

I blow out my lines and then add antifreeze to the drains only. Never had a problem and dewinterizing is so much easier. We had some really mild weather this winter and I took it out - 60 degrees so no problems, right? Except the last night it dropped to 15 degrees. And I was having battery issues so the heater was off for the 250 mile drive home. Lines were frozen solid by the time I got there. I left the heat on for the week until the temps bested freezing and, thankfully, didn't pop any lines. Whew!
kvmllr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 09:25 AM   #17
Weekend Camper

I am convinced that if I had the right gear, sucking the lines dry is better than blowing the lines dry. Pushing water up-hill through each spigot seems harder than attaching a good suction device to the low point drains and sucking the water downhill and out. I had to do this once when we found out that getting home from a trip south would encounter freezing temps. I took my small shop vac that I had with us and after draining the lines through the low point drain hooked up the vac to each low point drain and spigot by spigot sucked the water out. Rather than pushing the water up hill it was sucked downhill and that was easier. Just need a strong suction device and that is not something you find laying around.
Old 05-16-2018, 10:00 AM   #18
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evereddie View Post
I am convinced that if I had the right gear, sucking the lines dry is better than blowing the lines dry. Pushing water up-hill through each spigot seems harder than attaching a good suction device to the low point drains and sucking the water downhill and out. I had to do this once when we found out that getting home from a trip south would encounter freezing temps. I took my small shop vac that I had with us and after draining the lines through the low point drain hooked up the vac to each low point drain and spigot by spigot sucked the water out. Rather than pushing the water up hill it was sucked downhill and that was easier. Just need a strong suction device and that is not something you find laying around.
That idea sucks!

Sorry, couldn't help myself!
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 10:04 AM   #19
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
That idea sucks!

Sorry, couldn't help myself!
You got that right.