Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-02-2017, 03:34 AM   #1
New Camper

Problem pumping antifreeze into lines

I have a 2015 40' Elevation 5th wheel toy hauler. It has a suction line for winterizing along with the switch (inside & outside) for water pump. I have by-passed the hot water heater but for some reason(s) I am unable to get the antifreeze to pump through the lines. I can hear the pump run and at times it will start to pump and then loose it prime. What am I doing wrong? My son has a 42' foot and he has a switch that by-pass the fresh water tank. I cannot find the switch or pump on mine.
Safety Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 04:28 AM   #2
Weekend Camper

I dunno if this would keep it from getting suction, but I know I have gotten in a hurry several times now and left the low point drain cap off and of course when I turn on the water pump it sucks a gallon of antifreeze dry in a few seconds dumping it all over the ground outside Just thinking out loud but maybe if the line is open it could be preventing you from getting suction? I am sure others will come a long with a better answer here soon.

.... Everyday is a good day for Camping....
Poppabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 04:46 AM   #3
Weekend Camper

I don't have the same model as you but on ours I also have to close an in-line valve to stop suction from the holding tank.

Steve
Old 01-02-2017, 09:58 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

There should be a valve next to the water pump that switches the suction line for the pump from the fresh water tank to the anti-freeze suction line. If the pump has lost prime, I need to open a faucet in the RV to get the pump to "re-prime" itself.
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 05:16 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan View Post
There should be a valve next to the water pump that switches the suction line for the pump from the fresh water tank to the anti-freeze suction line. If the pump has lost prime, I need to open a faucet in the RV to get the pump to "re-prime" itself.
Agree with Stan. But you will need to turn on a facet, flush toilet, shower, etc. usually before it will start taking antifreeze into the lines.
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 07:46 PM   #6
New Camper

Apparently I need to switch from the fresh tank to the antifreeze line at the water pump. The only problem is that I do not know where the pump or the switch is located and there is nothing in the manual that shows this. The dealer maintenance person was of little use when he tried to explain the unit to us. There was plenty that he did not know and I figured that the big manual would have the information in it. WRONG!
Safety Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 09:56 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

I am not familiar with the Elevation but...The pump should be relatively close to the fresh water tank, and water fill connection. If you can hear the pump running try looking in that vicinity - under/inside cabinets or behind cabinet. It's probably behind some kind of panel and may be in the front storage area. Once you find the pump, the valve and anti-freeze suction line will be there as well.
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 08:11 AM   #8
Gone Traveling

The Elevations are similar to the Redwoods so your pump should be behind the basement wall directly behind the convenience center. The RWs have a small access door for the water filter & the pump is directly below the door.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote