Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-04-2013, 12:24 AM   #1
Family Vacation Member

So I tried to put antifreeze in the lines last night before the 28° temps came. I closed the HW bypass valve, stuck the inlet tube into the bottle of antifreeze, opened the faucets turned on the water pump (using battery power only). I was able to get spurts of antifreeze from the faucets (kitchen, bathroom, outside kitchen) but no steady flow. Also it only sucked up 7/8 of a gallon. Should it have been free flowing? Did I do something wrong? Is it clogged maybe?

The only thing I can think of is that I forgot about the outdoor shower.
RoadDog66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 12:45 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

when you opened the valve to suck from the jug of pink stuff ,did you shut off the valve from the water holding tank?

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 02:24 AM   #3
Weekend Camper

Exactley what Harley said, You must make sure that that valve is not pulling from the fresh water holding tank. Once you switch it , you will then have no issues .
Old 11-04-2013, 08:29 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

I mine, it works best if I put the hose in the jug, close all the faucets, then start the pump. When I open one faucet, then the pump will prime and start pumping. I then open and close each faucet, one at a time. Don't forget outside shower and opening low point drains.
2010 CF30SK Patriot
2007 CF30SK
dalemac377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 09:26 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

On mine have two HW htr valves - open one and close one. Must open the winterizing valve to the pump suction and close the suction from the tank.

Edited by: NorskeNY

2012 Cruiser Patriot CF335SS.

2011 Silverado 3500HD LTZ CCLB Duramax SRW 4X4

https://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/...ailerKeuka.jpg
NorskeNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 10:47 PM   #6
Family Vacation Member

I did not shut the water holding tank valve. But I've also never used that tank. So wouldn't it be in the closed position already? How do you know which one that it is? There's so many to choose from.

I also have the 2 valves for the hot water heater and did close the one off (closest to bottom of tank - blue line and horizontally run), the other was already in the closed position (red line and vertically run).

Edit: I went back and looked at pics I took before and after (wish I could post them easily). One valve was already closed (hot water red line from tank). I opened the pump line valve and closed another valve from the hot water tank valve (blue line bottom of tank). So my assumption is that the blue line at tank bottom is the fresh holding tank (which I closed). Not sure what to do now. Edited by: RoadDog66
Old 11-04-2013, 11:05 PM   #7
Seasonal Camper

Also do not forget the toilet!
The bunk bedroom is for Haley!

Crossing the Roads with The Mason-Dixon Bunch
RKamperRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 01:14 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

you are confusing the valves .
1- near your pump there will be one hose coming from the belly of the trailer (that is the hose from the tank) its valve will be open for normal use.
2-also near the pump there is another valve connected to a hose about 2 ft long that goes nowhere(that is for putting in the jug of pink)
----close 1 and open 2 and put hose in jug

the other 2 are for the hot wat htr bypass....
-simply turn both to the opposite direction that you use in the summer.

Now turn on pump and open taps one at a time till pink comes out . do every tap and don't forget toilet and after pump is off and some pressure remains, push in white check valve in the city water intake (will have to take out the screen washer)

Old 11-05-2013, 02:44 AM   #9
Family Vacation Member

Ok I discovered the valva I think it's to the fresh holding tank. I turned it closed and the pump sucked up another gallon no problem.

My other question is I should be getting pink antifreeze when I turn on the hot water faucets, correct?Edited by: RoadDog66
Old 11-05-2013, 03:02 AM   #10
Family Vacation Member

Ok I finally have pink coming from all faucets and toilet. Thanx for the help everyone. And Harley thanx for the city water check valve reminder.

The setup on this camper just seens confusing compared to my old one. All the lines and 2 check valves from the hot water tank/heater was throwing me off.
Old 11-05-2013, 03:13 AM   #11
Family Vacation Member

Ok new question. Under my trailer beneath hot water tank access and where hot water heater sits there are 3 capped drains with black screw caps. Should those caps be taken off for winter? Should any if them have antifreeze coming from them?

One has some dripping when I remove the cap.
Old 11-05-2013, 04:21 AM   #12
Weekend Camper

those are low point drains, , I open them up and drian them before I winterize. It helps cuts down on the usuage level of the pink stuff. It sounds like you have pink stuff coming from all faucets, ( including toilt , shower and DONT FORGET Outside shower ) If you have a outdoor kitchen , you have to do hat sink also. , With the pink coming out of all water souce , you will not have to do anything with those low drain lines. , Just remember this for next year
Old 11-05-2013, 04:22 AM   #13
Weekend Camper

P.S..Do not take them off, or you will lose all of the pink stuff that is through out your lines ..
Old 11-05-2013, 05:19 AM   #14
Family Vacation Member

I opened them all and only one had pink liquid dripping out. I'm thinking that was from when I didnt close the fresh tank valve the first time I tried to add antifreeze.

I'll put the caps back on. I took pictures too so I'll remember next time. Thanks again.
Old 11-05-2013, 01:16 PM   #15
Full Time Camper

You could leave all 3 plugs out for the winter if you like (I do) but not necessary. If you like ,take them off and put a pail under and open all the taps inside . that will expell all pink in the lines and you can put the pink in the pail down the toilet. remember to make sure pink is in the traps and a little in the toilet bowl to keep seal moist
you don't need to keep pink in all the lines ,but is is always a good idea to open all taps.AND leave drain plug or anode (depending which hot water tank you have )out of the water heater.....

Old 11-05-2013, 01:28 PM   #16
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by stelrs59
... If you have a outdoor kitchen , you have to do hat sink also.

Oh no, I forgot the outdoor kitchen. I will do that tomorrow.

Thanks for the reminder.

Jean
2013 Zinger 30KB - Sold
CrossroadsRV Rally 2013 & 2014 - Northeast Crossroads Rally 2014 - Mason-Dixon Rally 2014
BODERRVING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 10:23 PM   #17
Family Vacation Member

My 06 Crossroads 5th wheel only has one valve at the pump. The "T handle" of the valve aligns with the tubing for "open" and crossways the tubing when "closed." I always pull the plug on the hot water tank to drain it first. ( Always crack open a hot water valve at the sink to relieve pressure first with your pump turned off of course.) After draining the hot water tank, I turn the two valves near the tank to the opposite position. I actually have them marked with a diagram of winter position and summer position. It's hard to determine which way they should be turned by looking at them sometimes. After this is done I put the gallon of pink stuff near the pump, put the tube down in to the bottom of the jug, turn the pump switch on and let it pressurize the pump. Then I open a valve at the kitchen sink, first cold valve until rich pink stuff comes out, then I do the hot valve. I continue to the other valves in the system one at a time. Don't forget the outside shower and toilet.

It took three gallons to do my 31' trailer. In the Spring I put the two valves at the hot water tank in the opposite position, put the plug back in the hot water tank, make sure the valve at the pump is closed so it will draw from the fresh water supply tank.
Pull Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 11:59 PM   #18
Seasonal Camper

If you have a Santi-flush for your black tank I would blow that out also. Did you either blow out your fresh water fill connection or get the pink stuff in it
Reese DC
hondavalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 10:00 AM   #19
Family Vacation Member

My saniflush inlet is pretty high above the tank which wound lead me to think any water in the line would have drained into the black tank already. Or am I missing something?
Old 11-15-2013, 03:42 PM   #20
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondavalk View Post
If you have a Santi-flush for your black tank I would blow that out also. Did you either blow out your fresh water fill connection or get the pink stuff in it
Maybe I have been lucky, but I don't do anything with the black flush or city water connection and have never had a problem. Now watch now that I say that it will freeze this year and break something.

Chris & Karen- Heyworth, Illinois
2009 CF32BL pulled by a 2011 RAM 2500 CTD 4x4
PullRite Superglide 18K hitch
2015stats:
Nights: 28
Miles: 3245
longhauler is offline   Reply With Quote