Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-07-2021, 09:52 AM   #1
New Camper

Repair Liability

Our 2018 Grand Reserve is at the factory getting the floors replaced. Evidently the toilet was installed improperly and it led to a slow leak in the flooring. Our local dealer tracked down the issue, but when the repair exceeded $6000, the manufacturer in Oregon wanted to do it themselves. I’m certainly glad that they stepped up and took responsibility, but it’s taking months. Here’s my question for y’all… am I wrong to ask for and expect to be compensated for loss of use? We normally take at least a couple trips in the fall before it begins to freeze. I asked Keystone in an email, but so far they are ignoring me. Input please!
Sunamijim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 03:40 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

We’ll you can ask but honestly unless you have something in your insurance that would pay for loss I really think your out of luck. With it being a 2018 I’m actually shocked they stepped up and took responsibly for the repairs. I think you should count your lucky stars you got the repairs. Eager to hear others responses.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 03:47 PM   #3
New Camper

Well, the investigation revealed that the leak had been happening for a long period of time. It was a manufacturing defect. Yes, I am glad they are taking responsibility, I just think the scope of responsibility might extend beyond the repair
Sunamijim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 02:34 PM   #4
Seasonal Camper

Not likely. How would you even quantify it? I'd be thrilled that they stepped up and agreed to the repair.
Old 10-09-2021, 07:41 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

Sun
I'm sorry to say but I have to agree with the other posters...I am assuming that your warranty has expired, and with that being said the RV manufacturers are NOT known for taking responsibility for ANY repairs after the warranty has expired...With that being said you can ask the manufacturer for anything, but if I were you I would wait until after the repair is done and approved by you before I asked them for compensation for loss of use...If you ask before the repair is finished you could be shooting yourself in the foot...
2022 Alliance Avenue 32RLS

In God We Trust
A proud member of the one percent...Semper Fi
sleepyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 02:35 PM   #6
New Camper

Be Happy!

I have owned 3 or their products.
Be glad they are covering it.
JohnW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 02:58 PM   #7
Family Vacation Member

You might try requesting a loaner and explaining your yearly trips are off due to their error.
2020 Silverado HD3500 Duramax
TexSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 02:58 PM   #8
New Camper

Your lucky to get them to step up

I would suggest you setup a schedule to call for progress. I had a similar experience a few years ago before COVID and the crazy boom in camping and they had my travel trailer for 8 months. I ended up buying a replacement to finish out the camping season, and sold the old one when it was finally repaired. Of course, we had been talking about an upgrade anyway ; )
jrg6269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 04:36 PM   #9
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunamijim View Post
Our 2018 Grand Reserve is at the factory getting the floors replaced. Evidently the toilet was installed improperly and it led to a slow leak in the flooring. Our local dealer tracked down the issue, but when the repair exceeded $6000, the manufacturer in Oregon wanted to do it themselves. I’m certainly glad that they stepped up and took responsibility, but it’s taking months. Here’s my question for y’all… am I wrong to ask for and expect to be compensated for loss of use? We normally take at least a couple trips in the fall before it begins to freeze. I asked Keystone in an email, but so far they are ignoring me. Input please!
Sorry to hear about your problem. I'm amazed they agreed to do this under warranty work. You might ask for a loaner, they just might loan you one. From what I've seen and heard, you could be months waiting to get it back. You should probably make sure it's winterized or you just might get it back in worse shape than it's in now. Not likely, but you might ask your insurance to spring for a loaner, that's a possibility.

I have a 2018. It developed several water leaks in cold weather in Feb 2021 (Texas winter storm). Several of the cone washers failed at the same time; at the water heater and at the water inlet. I think they were overtightened at the factory and crushed. Warranty wouldn't touch it. I turned it into insurance and it took 4.5 months to get the trailer back. 7 weeks just to get them to order the new flooring. 6 week wait and then they received the wrong color flooring and had to start all over again. Insurance paid $11,000 parts and labor.

Dustin

Dustin and Doris

2018 Crossroads, Sunset Trail 33CK,
38', 7600 lbs empty, 8300 lbs loaded.
2016 Tundra: 5.7L with towing package with added "Roadmaster Active Suspension"
toolman.dustin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
liability, repair