Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-29-2012, 04:19 AM   #1
New Camper

I've seen some information on sanitizing the fresh water tank in the Spring by putting a small amount of bleach in the tank, then filling with water and flushing. Is this the recommended way? Our trailer was new last year and we never used the tank as we had full hookups all the time. The dealer did put some water in there during the PDI. Are you just supposed to put the bleach and water in the tank and then empty? Or should you turn the pump on and run some of this bleach water thru the water lines to each faucet and toilet too?
CCLFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 04:58 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

If you don't have an owner's manual with the instructions, go to the Crossroads home page. Under Owners Tools click on Maintenance, then click on Power & Water Systems, then scroll down to Sanitizing the Fresh Water System.

Breckenridge, CO
'08 Crossroads Sunset Trail ST30BH Traded
'21 Grand Design Reflection 31MB 5er
'22 Cougar 29RLI 5er
'23 RAM 2500 4X4 CTD
coastn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 09:30 AM   #3
Family Vacation Member

We have city water that has plenty of bleach in it (I know if you cansmell it there AREN"T bad things in the water). Normaly I just flush the tank and lines in the spring. Been doing it that way for 20 years.

2006 GMC Duramax-Edge Evolution

2011 CT29RLX

Bikes,Canoe,toys,toys,toyz
we-canoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 10:15 AM   #4
Family Vacation Member

Look, I'm no expert. But, here is what I suggest.
Empty the fresh water tank for the winter.
Then, in the Spring, add water and put in an ounce of chlorine bleach for every 50 gallons of water. Don't use that bleach that they sell for cleaning outside surfaces before painting. The Bleach company won't recommend it. Use the Laundry type bleach. Then, connect all your fresh water hoses in series and connect them to the pump intake. Put the other end in a bucket of water with a high concentration of bleach. Suck up the water and run it through the system just like you did with winterizing with anti-freeze. This will sanitize all your hoses. One ounce per 50 gallons will sanitize your water system and you won't ever smell it.

During the camping season, don't worry about your fresh water tank! If you go three weeks without using it, add one 0unce of chlorine bleach per 50 gallons.

NH Horseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 06:58 AM   #5
Family Vacation Member

Here is an article on sanitizing tanks

http://rvbasics.com/techtips/sanitiz...er-system.html

look towards the bottom. I now use sodium dichlor as described in the above referenced

link. that is a much better way than using household bleach which has other chemicals

in it

2004.5 Chevy Duramax crew cab 4x4
2010 Crossroads Cruiser 30QBX
1991 K2500 4x4 being restored
drcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 08:14 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

Thanks forthe tip on sodium dichlor. It's a chemical I already use to keep my hot tubsanitized.I have more than enough for the fresh water tank.

Breckenridge, CO
'08 Crossroads Sunset Trail ST30BH Traded
'21 Grand Design Reflection 31MB 5er
'22 Cougar 29RLI 5er
'23 RAM 2500 4X4 CTD
coastn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 12:05 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

Might have to try the sodium chemical.....I am less than one month away.....

2015 Rushmore Springfield
Disc Brake upgrade, Goodyear G614 tire upgrade
RV FLEX-ARMOR roof, Mor-Ryde IS suspension

2017 F350 Dually 4x4 6.7 Bronze Fire
gossamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 08:41 AM   #8
Family Vacation Member

Additionally, sodium dichlor is relatively inexpensive. We bought ours at a store that supplies swimming pool stuff. It hardly, if at all, leaves any residual odor or taste, even though for the most part we drink/use for cookingbottled water.

Old 03-09-2012, 09:47 PM   #9
Weekend Camper

I've been doing this for 27 years, and most manafacture's rec. Bleach, 1 cup to the water tank fill it until it runs out. This contacts top of the tank. Let it sit a few hours and then pump it through the lines and hot water tank. Let it sit a couple hours and don't forget last years freash water hose. This kills and mold that may grow in these moist pipes and hoses.

FYI: this is Health code for campground water system when we open to insure safe clean drinking water. (certified water system operator)
Old 03-09-2012, 10:37 PM   #10
Family Vacation Member

Been rving for over 30 yrs and I do the same as we-canoe...... just rinse out tank, rinse out lines with city hook up and go....

If I was on well water I would do the bleach thing.

I have workedas a water treatment plant operator for many years in a municipality, chlorine will kill all the pathengenic bacteria once you have a residual above .5ppmcombined with a reasonable exposure time.

Most municipal systems who use chlorine maintainbetween .5ppm and 1.0ppm of residual chlorine and as it is a combined residual it is very effective therefore fill you tank and run the water through the system and let it sit overnight.

All will be good after that. If on a well I wouldgo with the bleach as described in the directions on line.

2013 CF345RF Provincial

2006 GMC Dura Max Diesel
speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 10:54 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by moparguy62
I've been doing this for 27 years, and most manafacture's rec. Bleach, 1 cup to the water tank fill it until it runs out. This contacts top of the tank. Let it sit a few hours and then pump it through the lines and hot water tank. Let it sit a couple hours and don't forget last years freash water hose. This kills and mold that may grow in these moist pipes and hoses.

FYI: this is Health code for campground water system when we open to insure safe clean drinking water. (certified water system operator)
X2
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 11:46 PM   #12
New Camper

Thanks to all for the information on my original post. I was planning on following the mfg's instructions but was questioned by people saying "you're gonna put bleach in the water tank???" So, of course, I starting doubting myself. You've all put me back on the right track. We've had a very mild Winter here in Michigan so really looking forward to getting back to the RV. Thanks again!

CCLFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 05:09 AM   #13
Family Vacation Member

Old school -vs- new school. There are more Cons to household bleach -vs- Pros from Sodium Dichlor. Granular Sodium Dichlor contains 62% more Chlorine than household bleach and none of the added chemicals, such as salt, which are responsible for the bad taste.

Think of it this way, why would they use sodium dichlor to sanitize a swimming pool, which is in essence, a great big urinal, if it wasn't up to the task ? Same as with hot tubs and such, you know kids and some adults take a whiz in them instead of getting out. Same as with swimming pools.