Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-01-2022, 05:38 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Slideout

It’s going to be my first time de winterizing our new trailer. I’m not very familiar with cable slide outs. Is there anything I should do before sliding it out this spring?
Zeroprotocol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 04:01 AM   #2
Seasonal Camper

It's not necessarily spring maintenance, but rather ongoing maintenance.
The BAL AccuSlide system depends on a plastic rail to slide on, and it is important the bottom of the slide be kept clean and lubricated only with dry lube. Do not use anything else. I recommend the WD40 brand of Dry Lube (NOT WD40).
You should observe how the slide goes in and out, and the tension of the cables, they should have a little slack once in or out.
I had the guide rail collapse on my long heavy slide, and it caused the gearbox to go out because of the extreme friction. So, I added the recommended upgrade rollers. That made a world of difference.
Also, clean and lube the seals with proper seal lube.
Wingerdinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 03:35 PM   #3
Weekend Camper

Slide it out today and everything seems fine. I’m sure I will eventually do the roller upgrade but since I’m still under warranty I can’t without voiding it.

I looked at the Accu slide instructions and it says there should be 1/2 movement in the cables when fully extended. What about when it’s closed? Noticed a little more movement on one side when it’s completely closed.
Old 04-06-2022, 05:37 PM   #4
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeroprotocol View Post
Slide it out today and everything seems fine. I’m sure I will eventually do the roller upgrade but since I’m still under warranty I can’t without voiding it.

I looked at the Accu slide instructions and it says there should be 1/2 movement in the cables when fully extended. What about when it’s closed? Noticed a little more movement on one side when it’s completely closed.
The cable system is a give and take system, it's like two continuous loops per side, upper and lower (two cables per side). If you have 1/2" movement when out, you would also have it when in. I would pull down on the cables from outside to take the slack out, the cables tend to have the slack on the inside.
Old 04-06-2022, 05:51 PM   #5
Weekend Camper

I think the bottom right might be a little loose. If I put the slide completely out there’s a bit more slack on the outside. I usually pull it back just a hair and that fixes it. But on the inside if I jiggle the wire I can see some movement with the wire in the pulley. I’ve watched a couple videos on the adjustment and it seems easy enough to do. Every other cable seems perfect. I’m not sure if just one can be out.
Old 04-06-2022, 06:40 PM   #6
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeroprotocol View Post
I think the bottom right might be a little loose. If I put the slide completely out there’s a bit more slack on the outside. I usually pull it back just a hair and that fixes it. But on the inside if I jiggle the wire I can see some movement with the wire in the pulley. I’ve watched a couple videos on the adjustment and it seems easy enough to do. Every other cable seems perfect. I’m not sure if just one can be out.
I have found that the more I attempt to adjust the cables strictly by tension, the worse they work to put the slide in the proper position. I surmise that things are twisting and there is friction causing uneven pulling. I now pretty much adjust it so it comes to rest squarely, both all the way and all the way out, and seals against the wall without coming in uneven. It's not an exact science, but if it comes in and out relatively even, and if it seals and there isn't so much slack that you risk the cable coming off, you're good.
I found that it is much easier to adjust it with the rollers installed, which sort of confirms my friction theory.
Old 04-06-2022, 06:51 PM   #7
Weekend Camper

I think it might be one of those if it isn’t broke don’t fix it situations. As far as I can tell it’s sitting squarely. Might just wait and see if anything else warranty wise comes up and get the dealer to check it when I’m there next.