Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2017, 01:00 PM   #1
Family Vacation Member

So I am dewinterizing today

Day off from work, I get to bring home the camper (off site storage sucks) and dewinterize.

I am filling, flushing, removing pest deterrents, etc. We used 4 bags of mothballs, 2 dozen dryer sheets, 4 sticky rat traps and a cubed up bar of Irish spring in sections of panty hose. Its airing out now, but I could smell the moth balls from outside so my neighbors may have reaped the benefits as well, but Im happy to say, no bugs or critters took up residence. I decided to drain and blow out the water, then fill the drain pipes. Upon pressurization, it seems to have been a success as well. It was much easier in my opinion that sucking anti-freeze through out.
Since we unloaded all the cloth, paper, food products, much of my day is actually wearing a path back and forth to reload.

I don't know which helped the most, but its all pretty simple prep work, so I guess I will do the same again next winter. Does anyone reuse mothballs or just buy new? Hate to waste, but even worse is used up mothballs that are pretty cheap insurance.

I went out and scouted some areas for next month's trips. All the new places we wanted to try in the forest are closed till June 1. Apparently they don't want people in the area this summer due to elk calving season. Makes sense. So now I need to go scout new places.
Old 04-25-2017, 01:22 PM   #2
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbaZabba View Post
Day off from work, I get to bring home the camper (off site storage sucks) and dewinterize.

I am filling, flushing, removing pest deterrents, etc. We used 4 bags of mothballs, 2 dozen dryer sheets, 4 sticky rat traps and a cubed up bar of Irish spring in sections of panty hose. Its airing out now, but I could smell the moth balls from outside so my neighbors may have reaped the benefits as well, but Im happy to say, no bugs or critters took up residence. I decided to drain and blow out the water, then fill the drain pipes. Upon pressurization, it seems to have been a success as well. It was much easier in my opinion that sucking anti-freeze through out.
Since we unloaded all the cloth, paper, food products, much of my day is actually wearing a path back and forth to reload.

I don't know which helped the most, but its all pretty simple prep work, so I guess I will do the same again next winter. Does anyone reuse mothballs or just buy new? Hate to waste, but even worse is used up mothballs that are pretty cheap insurance.

I went out and scouted some areas for next month's trips. All the new places we wanted to try in the forest are closed till June 1. Apparently they don't want people in the area this summer due to elk calving season. Makes sense. So now I need to go scout new places.

Place the old moth balls around your house base. They will keep snakes away....
breams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 01:44 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

All good prep work in the fall to keep out the critters.

I have to ask, how did you get rid of the dryersheet stink? I did the same and all summer my cupboards stunk like the dryer sheets. It seemed to permeate the wood.

Also, I read the sticky traps are baited to draw critters, any truth in that?

2017 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7 King Ranch Crew
Sold the 2016 Crossroads Sunset Trail Grand Reserve 32BH
2020 Grand Design Momentum 320G
OhioMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 02:05 PM   #4
Gone Traveling

I think I could live with the dryer sheet smell much better than moth balls.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 02:30 PM   #5
Site Team

We use dryer sheets. My wife purchases the unscented ones, but they seem to work.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 02:40 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

The indoor storage place i use sprinkles detergent around the tires of all the vehicles when they lock up for the winter..anyone know of this or if it works?

Old 06-14-2017, 11:57 PM   #7
New Camper

Reuse of mothballs?? No idea.
JennBarth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 07:05 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

What's dewinterizing ?!?

don't think it got cold enough in Texas this year to winterize - teehee!

besides, we were camping a lot!
(but I did blow out all the lines)
Old 06-15-2017, 08:43 AM   #9
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioMark View Post
All good prep work in the fall to keep out the critters.

I have to ask, how did you get rid of the dryersheet stink? I did the same and all summer my cupboards stunk like the dryer sheets. It seemed to permeate the wood.

Also, I read the sticky traps are baited to draw critters, any truth in that?
I actually didn't have any lingering odor. The mothball odor did linger but opened it up on during de-winterization and on first trip. All gone. I think it was Gain dryer sheets.

I haven't heard the rumor of baiting critters to the traps. I checked it every 2 months, didn't even get bugs stuck in the traps, so perhaps the rest of the deterrents worked for bugs.
Old 06-15-2017, 08:45 AM   #10
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
I think I could live with the dryer sheet smell much better than moth balls.

Yes, that was the prominent odor. But it went away after the first trip. We don't use the AC so leave it open during most days when camping. The mothball odor wasn't too bad, but 1) agree if it stuck it would be an issue 2) rather have a little odor than bug/infestation damage!

Ended up throwing the mothballs into the kids closets. Anything to keep unwanted visitors away.
Old 06-15-2017, 08:48 AM   #11
Full Time Camper

I did have the dryer sheet leave an odor in all the fabric items including stored towels and sheets in my trailer last year.

I had to launder all the sheets/blankets/towels stored in sealed bins to get the "fake flower smell" out of everything.