Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-27-2013, 06:03 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Hi everyone- I am hoping to find someone else with this model that can help us locate our water heater bypass valve. We have a 2014 Cruiser Aire 28FB, which comes equipped with the bypass and the EZ winterizing system, as far as I know! I thought the service guy said on our walk through that we just had to turn our water intake on the back of the unit to winterize, and that would automatically bypass the hot water- but apparently that's not the case, as antifreeze was very shortly pouring out of the open plug on the heater. There is nowhere inside to access the water heater, not even a screwed-in panel, due to the layout of the trailer.
Any ideas? Obviously we are doing this for the first time, and don't want to screw it up in one of our unforgiving winters up here!
Thanks,
~honey
nursehoneybadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 10:12 AM   #2
Family Vacation Member

Is you're water heater located in the bedroom on the streetside? If so, then there may be an access from the underbed storage area?
Old 10-27-2013, 11:55 AM   #3
Weekend Camper

No- it's street-side, but at the rear of the trailer. Inside at that point is the lower bunk bed, and there is no access beneath it...
Old 10-27-2013, 12:33 PM   #4
Site Team

I wonder if the check valve is stuck or faulty on the hot water heater cold water inlet side?????

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 10:10 PM   #5
Family Vacation Member

Ours is at the rear under the lower bunk, you need to remove the panel in the rear outside storage area to access the valves. I cut a large circular hole in it, so you can reach in to turn them without removing the panel.
Old 10-27-2013, 11:31 PM   #6
Weekend Camper

Wow, are you kidding?? That sounds like our setup- it's below our lower bunk. So we will have to empty our stuff out of that storage area and see what's behind that panel. Who on earth thought THAT would be a good design?? And I love how ambiguous it is in the manual, too. Would it really have cost too much to put a unit-specific instruction page for finding this mystery valve in each RV? Jeez.
Thanks so much for the tip- let you know if I find it!
Old 10-28-2013, 12:33 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

Just one of many reasons this forum is a valuable resource. Manufactures leave a lot for us to discover on our own. This forum has been informative and helpful for so many of us it is a great community.
Reese 16K Slider Wet Bolts
socoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 01:51 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

Glad you got help. This is one reason I have always said that the designers need to spend some time camping in the trailers they design, then maybe they would make some things a little more user friendly.
2010 CF30SK Patriot
2007 CF30SK
dalemac377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 05:33 AM   #9
Weekend Camper

HA HA, we found it!!
There was a panel underneath the mattress on the lower bunk bed that could be lifted out. I am quite sure this was not mentioned during the walkthrough... I would have remembered that!! So next time, we will know better, and it will be easy peasy! All we had to do was turn the two valves for the bypass, attach a small length of hose to the water intake on the back, switch it to "winterize", and then we turned on the water pump and opened all the taps one at a time until the pink came out. No problem! We got a little into our black tank flusher, too.
Thank you all so much for your help- I can't agree more- this is a great resource and great community. So glad to have somewhere to ask all my questions, and I hope I can answer some for someone else!
~honey

Old 10-28-2013, 05:38 AM   #10
Family Vacation Member

I've discovered this. The owner's manual is very generic and doesn't really help with some very basic questions. This forum is great and I've had several questions answered.

2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 26RB
2013 F250
jlongsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 10:17 AM   #11
New Camper

Having some frustrations with the manual as well...so the bypass isn't accessed by opening a panel in the storage compartment? The panel under the bed on our 2013 looks like one piece so it would be pretty tough to lift up without removing the mattress.

Thanks,

Andrea
AgilitySchnauzers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 08:58 PM   #12
Full Time Camper

Look for your water heater outside and then go inside and you should be able to easily identify where it is. Mine had four screws and was obvious.

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Tim D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 08:51 AM   #13
New Camper

Thanks Tim!
AgilitySchnauzers is offline   Reply With Quote