Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-13-2018, 07:45 PM   #1
New Camper

Winterizing

I need help this is our first time winterizing the camper. We have a crossroads z1 251BH 2013
We cannot figure out how in the world to drain the pipes under the camper. I feel like such an idiot. This is the only thing we see. And it don't screw. All we want ho do Is the basics where you put the antifreeze and drain it. Though all the pipes. And leave all the pipes open. Any suggestions. This is all we seen that doesn't screw.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20181112_172349.jpg (159.5 KB, 49 views)
Carrievignola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 07:30 AM   #2
Site Team

The "Blue" line is the tank drain and the white thing on the end should be a "cap" that you unscrew to drain the water tank. You might have to use a pair of pliers to turn it. There should also be 2 more lines sticking down that will be the low point drains. They should also have a cap or there maybe a valve that you turn. Look around as they like to put them in various places like behind the tires so you will have to look.

Have you winterized a camper before? If not just ask and you will get a lot of help.
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 07:35 AM   #3
New Camper

No dear, .i've never winterized one before. I will look around the tires it's been pouring rain here. So I will look again.
Old 11-14-2018, 08:29 AM   #4
Site Team

You say you just want to do the basics. Remember, there really isn't any short cuts when it comes to winterizing your camper. You either get all the water out by using an air compressor or you replace all the water by running RV anti freeze thru the lines by using the bypass valves
Never pour the anti freeze into the fresh water tank. There should be a setup next to the water heater where you can shut valves and use the suction line to pull anti freeze from a jug and the pump will put it thru all the lines. You just have to open each faucet and let it run until it turns pink.
It should look some what similar to this pic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img_120107_1_4c1da2b5b2b4f1d21be1ebff9800c5df.jpg (35.1 KB, 179 views)
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 09:08 AM   #5
Site Team

Hello again. Went on line and look up your camper so I can help you better. First I will give you general winterizing instructions then I will address your camper.

1. First drain the water tank; the hot water heater and the low point drains. Leave the water heater and the water tank drains open but recap the low point lines.

2. At the water pump locate the valve and antifreeze hose and turn it to draw antifreeze from the bottle. Insert the hose into the jug of antifreeze.

3. While someone is watching the water heater drain turn on the water pump so antifreeze goes into the water heater tank. Run the pump till you get "good pink color" that is the antifreeze and it may take a bit. Turn off pump

4. Go to the rear of the water heater and locate the bypass. There may be 1-2-or 3 valves. For the 1 valve it will be in the "cold" or lowest line.( As a rule of thumb the handle in line with the line will be open and cross the line will be closed.) close the valve. If you have 2 valves the one in the cold line gets closed then you open the one in the that connects the hot and cold lines. It goes up and down and you turn the valve so the handle is the same as the line. I doubt that you have the 3 valve bypass but if you do turn the upper valve closed also. Now the water heater is bypassed.

5. Turn the pump back on and go to the faucet farthest from the pump and open it one side at a time till you get antifreeze. Close that side and open the other side till you get Antifreeze. Working your way back toward the pump do the same for each faucet. While you are doing the tub do the shower. Also run the toilet valve till you see antifreeze. Then also do the outside shower. After you are sure you have antifreeze in all the lines turn off the pump.

6 . Pour about a cup of antifreeze down the kitchen and bathroom sinks. Also about a cup in the toilet but do not flush it.

7. Go back to the water heater and reverse the valves to there original positions also at the pump. And open all the faucets leaving them open. On your shower head let it hang down and open it. The outside shower open the valve at the head.

This is the basic procedure. I may have missed something as I have not used antifreeze in years but that is another discussion.

I will start another post with help for your camper.
Old 11-14-2018, 09:56 AM   #6
Site Team

Ok now you have to locate the water pump. Start by turning it on and listen. From what I saw on line I would guess it is under the kitchen cabinets. If you hear it in that location pull the lowest drawer out and it is probably under it on the floor. It may also be under the sink. You may have to remove the "floor" of the cabinet once you are sure of its location. The pump is usually located close to the water tank so the other place to check is under the couch but just listen for it first.

The water heater looks to be located behind the steps in the bunkhouse. Look around in that area for a access "door" or panel to remove. I see there is a access panel between the tub and the toilet on the wall for the tub. You may have to remove it.

As for your low point drains just look around as they like to hide them.

Maybe someone with your model will post with definite locations for access.

On the other post the reason to reverse the valves back to the "on season" setting is you do not have to change anything in the spring just flush with fresh water And you can close all the access points after you winterize.

To second Lloyd do not put antifreeze in the fresh water tank. You will never get it all out and it would take several gallons before it would start to pump as the pick up is not on the bottom of the tank.
Old 11-15-2018, 07:44 PM   #7
Seasonal Camper

It appears to me, in the picture, that what we are looking at is the drain for the fresh water tank, without the cap on it.
By that, can we assume that you are not using your fresh water tank? Have you always hooked up to `city water' fitting?
Wingerdinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 08:30 PM   #8
Site Team

If you blow up the picture, you can see the threads, there is no cap on it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20181112_172349.jpg (37.8 KB, 158 views)

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 04:18 PM   #9
Full Time Camper

I would not put pink antifreeze in the water heater. That's what the bypass lines are for. Just drain (or blow out, with air pressure), and bypass the tank. I also turn off the propane and the 120 VAC circuit breaker so it doesn't accidently get turned on when dry.
Dalzell SC
MartyinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 12:35 PM   #10
Full Time Camper

Winterized today, turned off the AC
Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 07:19 AM   #11
New Camper

It may be a little late to reply, but do not forget to drain the hot water tank.

I thought I had since this was the second winter for me (much colder than 2017) and I followed the same steps to use an air compressor to blow the lines out.

I went to check the camper a few weeks ago and found water in the front storage compartment and the panel between the water heater and the compartment was wet.

I took the access panel to the water heater off and found traces of water, but could not see any split lines.

I took the camper to the dealer to have the system pressure check. They called a confirmed my fear. the water heater was cracked.

Looking through the owners manual again, I found that there is a procedure to drain the water heater 2 pages before the winterizing section. I did not know You had to pull the anode out of the water heater to drain it.

Lesson learned - make sure you read all the manual.
Tlimhoff is offline   Reply With Quote