Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-12-2021, 05:48 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Winterizing

Is there a preferred method to winterize. Should I use compressed air or just drain and pump in the antifreeze. Called crossroads stated not recommend to blow out. Owna 212rb sunset travel trailer .My other question looks like my water heater has two valves do I close both of them before putting in the antifreeze .LIve in Massachusetts will be traveling south in Jan for winter. All assistance greatly appreciated.
Old 09-12-2021, 05:58 PM   #2
Seasonal Camper

I'm going to assume that they recommend not using air because people can make mistakes and ridiculously over pressurize if not careful. Your 12volt pump is the "foolproof" way to do it.
I use compressed air, and just add antifreeze to drain traps. its quick and easy, Just be extra cautious when setting your regulated pressure.
Don't forget to blow out your tank flush, if you have one.....
Everyone has their own preferred method, you just have to figure out whats right for you.
Old 09-12-2021, 06:44 PM   #3
Site Team

I use both methods. Blow out all the lines and fill with rv antifreeze. Blow out pressure is set to about 35 lbs. Also, don't forget the outside shower.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 06:23 AM   #4
Site Team

Just a suggestion for you guys that blow your water lines.
Use a oil less air compressor. Other wise you will be blowing residual oil and crap into your lines.
https://www.wise-geek.com/what-is-an...compressor.htm
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 06:55 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

This is the water heater as used in the summer. Turn both valves to winterize. And for the small price of Rv antifreeze. Use the antifreeze. Don’t forget to drain hot water heater. And don’t forget outside shower and low point drains when winterizing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 7D28FE4B-9773-4E85-95B3-90BF478BE8CD.jpeg (68.3 KB, 16 views)

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 08:51 AM   #6
Site Team

I blow mine out but use this filter to trap any thing in the line. It would be a good idea even with a oil less compressor.

https://www.harborfreight.com/air-to...ter-63951.html
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 09:37 AM   #7
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagst1 View Post
I blow mine out but use this filter to trap any thing in the line. It would be a good idea even with a oil less compressor.

https://www.harborfreight.com/air-to...ter-63951.html
Same unit I use.
Rrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 11:40 AM   #8
Site Team

Good idea guys. I wasn't aware of those. I will have to pick one up when I get to town. Thanks
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 03:32 PM   #9
Weekend Camper

I have always blown out the lines, especially the hot water tank. For some reason with a new camper the little strainer before the water pump must have had some residue water. The new one is upside down and drains. I also put a gallon into the lines and pump as extra insurance.
stetson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 04:55 PM   #10
Kab
Weekend Camper

I usually do both but last year just did air and antifreeze 9n the traps.
Made one mistake, I didn’t have anyone step on the toilet control so it left water in that valve and cracked it.
Don’t need to worry this year, I sold it this spring .
Kab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 07:49 PM   #11
Family Vacation Member

Depends on where you live. Like most of the guys, I blow mine out with the regulator set at 35 psi and a filter. I do add some antifreeze to my traps now but never used to. I would just plunger-purge them. But I live in Western WA and the winters here are fairly mild compared to Mass. I know the Winters you guys get. When I lived in NY I did the full blown AF throughout using the pump.

Tony & Lynne
Whidbey Island, WA
2021 Sunset Trail SuperLite SS212RB
2019 Ford F-350 FX-4 Crew cab, 6.2L gas
Tonyg2724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 10:50 PM   #12
Family Vacation Member

It is much safer to gravity drain, then blow down***, and then add antifreeze if desired; slugs of plain water might otherwise get trapped and burst plumbing, usually ay elbows/ tees, or toilets/ faucets. do not forget the outside shower, if equipped, and do tie up, verify slope/ direction if you have any sagging plumbing lines, either supply or drain. (***Blowing down after good gravity drain will show you if you had trapped water in supply lines)
TerryH is offline   Reply With Quote