Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-29-2011, 08:14 AM   #1
Full Time Camper

Does anyone have an idea of the load rating of the

rear bumper. I am thinking of attaching aRV 4" Bumper Adapter and attaching a bike carrier to it - for two

bikes</span>

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...-adapter/17221</span>and maybe something like this to the adapter when we don't bring the bikes.http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...-carrier/49397

Edited by: NorskeNY

2012 Cruiser Patriot CF335SS.

2011 Silverado 3500HD LTZ CCLB Duramax SRW 4X4

https://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/...ailerKeuka.jpg
NorskeNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 08:23 AM   #2
hhh
Seasonal Camper

Do not attach an adaptor to the bumper of any RV, they will not take the weight. You will have to get areceiverwelded onto the frame by acompetenthitch shop or welder.

I am sure someone will bring it up so I'll do it now.... welding on a hitch could void your framewarranty.Edited by: hhh
https://www.tgifrv.com/wp-c&#111;ntent/gal.../rigsigpic.jpg

'11 CF285RL Patriot - '08 GMC 3500HD D/A CC LB Dually - Yamaha Zuma 125

tgif: let's RV
hhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 08:56 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

hhh - I thought so - had not discussed with the dealer yet. I did not attach anything to the last fifth wheel either - Montana Mountaineer.

Old 10-29-2011, 11:17 AM   #4
Weekend Camper

Lippert says "no" welding ontheir frames. So, Crossroads passes it along as warranty issue.

I was advised by a reputable CR dealer that they will not work on a CR RV that has any kind of warranty voiding issues, especially on the frame.

When I quizzed him, he indicated that it is a liability issue that they don't want to deal with.

Yep, you'll see them on about everything going down the road, including the CR. But they're well past warranty.

A lot of the state's DMV's refer to RV trowing a boat or what ever as "triples" and that's a no-no in those states. Those that do allow triples watch for the 65 ft max limit.

greyeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 11:41 AM   #5
Family Vacation Member

I use a Curt adapter on my Cruiser bumper and have for 3 years. I carry a Honda 3000 generator and different stuff with no problem. I have done this on every camper I have had for the last 14 years and never had a weld break or bumper twist.My RV dealer told me anything in reason around 300 lbs wouldn't be a problem.I check my welds about twice a year.I do think than the tagalong are not as well welded as the FW, but that may just be me.

2009 Cruiser 29RK
FB1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 03:41 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

I did exactly what you're thinking of with a previous Dutchmen trailer. No problem. Used the 4" bumper adapter with a Coachmen trailer. No problem. Used a 4" adapter with the present Sunset Trail carrying two bikes and the bumper bent downward on itself. Had a welder remove the bumper and reinforce it on top and frame side with 4" X 8" steel plates and reweld. Has worked like a champ for 15,000 miles carrying two bikes. Don't use the hitch-haul anymore as I now have the Tundra to haul the generator, etc. Figured warranty be damned. If I couldn't use the trailer as I intended I'd sell it and get somthing else. Happy to say that isn't necessary. We really like our trailer.

Breckenridge, CO
'08 Crossroads Sunset Trail ST30BH Traded
'21 Grand Design Reflection 31MB 5er
'22 Cougar 29RLI 5er
'23 RAM 2500 4X4 CTD
coastn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 09:40 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by FB1965
I use a Curt adapter on my Cruiser bumper and have for 3 years. I carry a Honda 3000 generator and different stuff with no problem. I have done this on every camper I have had for the last 14 years and never had a weld break or bumper twist.My RV dealer told me anything in reason around 300 lbs wouldn't be a problem.I check my welds about twice a year.I do think than the tagalong are not as well welded as the FW, but that may just be me.

Is this the style of Curt adapter you used?
http://www2.northerntool.com/towing/...tem-125576.htm

I understand the concerns with modifying the frame or attaching anything to the rear bumper - was wondering what folks have been doing to carry additional items. I have a full size box on my truck and carry most of the additional items in it.

Old 10-30-2011, 02:20 PM   #8
Weekend Camper

Noresky: I have a bike rack with a Hitch adapter on its way to me this week. I can't see how 60 lbs of bikes and 20 lbs of rack will bend a bumper ( if it will how will the bumper work as a bumper? - it wouldn't be strong enough to stop a mouse.) But after reading HHH's response I will look at the warranties and at the actual construction. I will respond with my opinion tomorrow.

As for attaching a cargo platform - that is another issue - a lot of weight ( easy to put 500lbs ++ on those things) and a lot of leverage. This type of attachment I would be careful about since there are several weld points under the back end of the 335 that support the bumper and I think that the lever arm from the cargo carrier to the welds would be soemthing like 2.5 feet.

2012 335SS

2009 Chev 2500HD 6.0 L gas
Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 02:48 PM   #9
Weekend Camper

Coastn: Do I correctly understand that the bumper sidewalls failed - not the welds attaching the bumper to the frame?

2012 335SS

Old 10-30-2011, 02:53 PM   #10
hhh
Seasonal Camper

Wish I could find the YouTube video that someone took of a trailer going down the road with a bike rack on the back. The bikes were swinging back and forth about 2 feet. It isn't the weight, but the leverage action with the weight of the bikes at the top of the lever.I had areceiverwelded to the pin box and put my bike rack on it. Total cost less then $100 and that sucker will never come loose.

My rear rack and contents weigh no more then 100 lbs. The receiver is welded to the frame, done by a shop that repairs semi trailers. All I carry in it is the sewer tubes, wheel chocks and some Lynx Levelers.

Old 10-30-2011, 02:55 PM   #11
Family Vacation Member

NORSKENY-Yes thats the Curt I use.Had to cut some of the allum bumper cover off because of the tight fit.

2009 Cruiser 29RK
FB1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 02:58 PM   #12
hhh
Seasonal Camper

If all else fails, call Randy at Crossroads service and ask him. But then I know the answer because I've asked

Old 10-30-2011, 11:28 PM   #13
Weekend Camper

HHH: When you wrote " My rear rack and contents weigh no more then 100 lbs. The receiver is

welded to the frame, done by a shop that repairs semi trailers. All I

carry in it is the sewer tubes, wheel chocks and some Lynx Levelers.
" did you actually mean you have " voided " the warranty and welded a receiver to the frame (not the bumper) and you have a rear cargo rack?

2012 335SS

Old 10-31-2011, 01:40 AM   #14
Full Time Camper

We beefed up the rear bumper before adding the rack. We have hauled two bikes for over 10,ooo miles and no problems.

http://www.crossroadsrv.com/forum/fo...s.asp?TID=1716

Best of luck.

DC

Old 10-31-2011, 01:48 AM   #15
Full Time Camper

Kamper Dave - Thanks for the info - looks like a good installation.

Old 10-31-2011, 04:21 AM   #16
Full Time Camper

Boomer-

The bumper is so thin-walled that it bent downward on itself at the weld points. Nothing wrong with the welds. Bumpers might be more substantial on a cruiser than on my ST.

Edited by: coastn

Breckenridge, CO
'22 Cougar 29RLI 5er
'23 RAM 2500 4X4 CTD
Old 10-31-2011, 04:30 AM   #17
Seasonal Camper

I've hauled two mountain bikes on a clamp on bumpercarrier for5 years with no issue's. But on an '04 Paradise Pointe the bumber is pretty hefty and combined both bikes weigh less then 25 lbs.
https://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l1...04/TheRig3.jpg
scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 06:03 AM   #18
Full Time Camper

Don't have a "before" picture to show how my bumper bent downward on itself, but here's what my mod looks like "after".

This shows the older, kinda heavy Yakima two bike rack in the 4" receiver hitch along with the spare tire &amp; cover. Note the 4"X8"x1/4" steel plate welded to the top of the bumper under the crossroadsrv.com.

On the back side of the bumper just under the top plate is another plate, same size, welded to the bumper and then the bumper welded to the original spots on the frame.

Welder guaranteed I wouldn't have to worry about anything again..bumper or cargo. So far, he's right. Have towed for three seasons since the mod, everything's solid. Cost $185 and well worth it.

Breckenridge, CO
'22 Cougar 29RLI 5er
'23 RAM 2500 4X4 CTD
Old 10-31-2011, 07:20 AM   #19
Family Vacation Member

I built a 2in bumper mountedreceiver &amp; it works great I haul 2 bikes &amp; have for several thousand miles with absolutely no problems. It is very strong without even a wiggle.I was advised the bumpers can take 150 lbs so my 80 isn't overworking it at all..

On my Paradise I modified a receiver to bolt to the frame on the bottm of the I beam with 1/ in bolts grade 5..I used that for several years and many many miles with no problems. I kept it with the intension of using it on this rig but after examing it and asking a few good questions I went this way and am satified as to how it has &amp; will perform.

I do beleive that you should not over tighten the bolts when you attach it as you could crush the tube and promote a weak spot but that goes with anything mechanical you can over due or over use a situation. I used some tubular spacers so you can't severely overtighten or crush the tube,as said it works great!!
Old 10-31-2011, 09:39 AM   #20
Seasonal Camper

I have hauled 2 bikes on a bumper hitch for about 6000 miles this summer and it still seems solid. One trip we had 4 bikes on it. My bumper seems to be a heavier gauge than many bumpers I have seen. It also has a diamond face plating on 2 sides of it-- which did make the adapter a tight fit. I also use 3 ratchet straps: one pulling to each side and one straight down to the bumper to reduce the bouncing. I know a few other people with SOBs and I wouldn't attempt the bike rack on it but so far mine is holding very well.

'11 Crossroads Cruiser CF325CK

https://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/...4/S4011042.jpg
happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote