Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-01-2020, 05:32 AM   #1
New Camper

2018 Cruiser Aire slide pulley

I recently found the screws one of the pulley mechanisms were pulling out of the wall. I checked the others and found some starting to do the same thing. The RV tech said this happens often (not just Crossroads). They will have to reinforce with metal plates. Just an FYI to monitor the pulleys.
Habenero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 08:03 PM   #2
Seasonal Camper

It sounds like you have the BAL Accuslide cable system. I just went through a gearbox blowout in the middle of a 5000 mile trip. The bigger problem is that the heavy slide actually slides on a plastic strip.. not rollers. It causes a lot of stress to the drive system.
The fix is to add rollers. I repaired mine myself, and I am real happy.. my slide has never operated so well.
Wingerdinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 08:38 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingerdinger View Post
It sounds like you have the BAL Accuslide cable system. I just went through a gearbox blowout in the middle of a 5000 mile trip. The bigger problem is that the heavy slide actually slides on a plastic strip.. not rollers. It causes a lot of stress to the drive system.
The fix is to add rollers. I repaired mine myself, and I am real happy.. my slide has never operated so well.
Do you have any pictures of the repair. If so, can you post them for our members to see.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 09:20 AM   #4
Weekend Camper

This is not help for the OP, but I've heard of way too many problems with cable operated slide mechanisms to consider buying a trailer that is equipped with them. Not nearly as many with rack & pinion systems.

2003 GM 2500HD 8.1/A
drzaius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 09:36 AM   #5
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habenero View Post
I recently found the screws one of the pulley mechanisms were pulling out of the wall. I checked the others and found some starting to do the same thing. The RV tech said this happens often (not just Crossroads). They will have to reinforce with metal plates. Just an FYI to monitor the pulleys.
I was reading a while back that there were some models that the screws were too short for the corner pulleys, and they were pulling out. The fix was longer screws. I wonder if you don't have one of those?
Old 12-04-2020, 09:27 AM   #6
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark5w View Post
Do you have any pictures of the repair. If so, can you post them for our members to see.
Sorry for the late response, I somehow missed the notice of your response.
Here is a link to the YouTube video that I found for the roller installation.
The rollers were VERY hard to find at the time.
I found them at Colaw RV.
I personally think this upgrade fixes a majority of the problems with this system, because it removes the strain of moving a heavy slide. I blew out a gearbox, and struggled with trying to adjust, lube the slide bottom, shuddering, etc. My slide glides in and out like it should.
Old 12-04-2020, 11:45 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

Those same rollers are used on the Schwintek slides as well...I believe the reason is the size and weight of the slides as opposed to the small and underpowered motors used to move those slides...
2022 Alliance Avenue 32RLS

In God We Trust
A proud member of the one percent...Semper Fi
sleepyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 09:24 AM   #8
Weekend Camper

I started doing some research after one cable nut popped off one of the OUT chains during a lunch stop. The slide has to go out to access the fridge and cabinet next to it.I too added rollers and a BIG improvement was made. I can't believe some nub-knucklehead actually believes the plastic slide bar would hold the weight of a big slide and function for a long time holding all that weight! Our 2017 was hardly used when we bought it for a private party (he only used it one week previous year for Myrtle Beach and 1st owners supposedly only 3 times). I added 3 rollers - one under each floor support- one each end and one in middle. The part of the slide bar I cut out of rear end already had an indent wear mark not quite 1/16" deep. Now the weight rests on the rollers and it operates significantly smoother going in/out. It was fairly easy to add. I borrowed a neighbor's floor jack as well as mine and some 2X4 and plywood scraps to spread the load and jacked up bout an inch to access the "wunderful track bar" under the slide. I used a battery SawZall to cut the track the width of the rollers and installed them then let slide down and now weight of slide rolls on the 3 rollers. There are some great YouTube videos how it is done.
Danimal713 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruiser aire, slide pulleys