Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-08-2013, 01:03 PM   #21
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWildWest

I installed the JT Strongarms myself and did the four at the front and the two at the rear (all 6). Because of the location of the propane pipe on the driver side, I had to tap the two holes for the bolts on that side(inside edge). The other side I was just able to drill through and access the bolts on the outside of the I beam. For the front centre connections I had to move the spare tire back two inches - drilled two holes - easy job.

Also didn't experience any significant chucking with only the TrailAir pin box. We have a Reese Elite 18K Slider hitch with underbed mountsin the truck which does have 4 motion movement on the head and there were only a few times we noticed any chucking at all - don't see a need to upgrade the pin box with this weight of trailer. I would want something with better design if I were hauling 15,500 lbs.
I installed the Strongarms on the front - installed like you did. Except I moved the spare back about 3.5 inches.

Drilling was a bear - went to Lowe's and got new bit but still took awhile.

Used the RV this weekend at the race track and it is an improvement to the hitch tripod. So far glad I made the investment.

About the back - have not installed yet (ran out of time before I had to leave on Friday) - if I install them as per the instructions the rear jacks will no go all the way to fully retracted - am I doing something wrong. I am going to call the vendor tomorrow.
Did you need the pad adapter?
Did you install a 3X3 angle iron or attached to the rear of the trailer - plate behind the water tank support?

Edited by: NorskeNY

2012 Cruiser Patriot CF335SS.

2011 Silverado 3500HD LTZ CCLB Duramax SRW 4X4

https://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/...ailerKeuka.jpg
NorskeNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 12:02 AM   #22
Full Time Camper

Hopefully these pics will help. I installed the rear ones centered in the rear through the exposed angle iron running across the back behind the water tank so I could drill through without lowering the cover - but did need to cut some of the metal strap that holds the underside covering. Mine do not interfere with anything and go up and down all the way. By the time I got to the rear I don't think I was looking at the instructions, I just installed them the most practical place that worked. I'm out of town right now or I would go out and take a pic from the underside so you could see the mounting location more precisely. If you can wait until Thursday I'll snap another pic.

Edited by: WildWildWest
Saskatoon, SK
WildWildWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 10:55 AM   #23
Full Time Camper

WildWildWest

Thanks for the pictures - I am all set. Installed the back set similar to yours. Called the manufacturer and the agreed with the installation - as long as the arms are not at a 45 degree angle all is good.

Old 09-09-2013, 11:42 PM   #24
Full Time Camper

Glad to hear it worked out. I definitely feel the rear ones are worth installing. I think the option offered now for CrossRoads from factory only does the four up front.
Saskatoon, SK
Old 09-09-2013, 11:45 PM   #25
Full Time Camper

Looks like another project on the horizon. Nice info Scott.
Reese 16K Slider Wet Bolts
socoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 02:57 AM   #26
Weekend Camper

You made reference that you are in the process of changing out the little postage stamp black sink in the bathroom to a bigger one. I. too, am displeased with the small and black bathroom sink. I have a question. Do you have to put in a different countertop in the bathroom to accomodate the larger sink you ordered from CW? What sink did you order? Appreciated your post.

Milwaukie, Or

2013 CF335SS Patriot

2004 Dodge Ram 3500 Turbo Diesel
TTKITTLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 05:42 AM   #27
Full Time Camper

I ordered the 20" oval lav sink. I haven't got to it yet but I am just going to cut into the existing counter top with a masonry jigsaw blade. I haven't confirmed the fit yet so I may be replacing the counter top yet but hopefully not.
Saskatoon, SK
Old 10-02-2013, 09:09 AM   #28
Full Time Camper

To followup, our only issue since purchase was the water pump not shutting off and pumping bursts. I finally got around to calling CrossRoads today and had a very nice chat with someone in the Cruiser warranty division and they are sending me out a new water pump. I confirmed with them I do have the old warranty which is good and they had all my information at their fingertips. Just wanted to let everyone know it was a pleasant experience. It does make me wonder if the dealer often sloughs off the blame to CrossRoads instead of taking responsibility for the delays themselves. CrossRoads apologized to me that it would not ship for two days as they were just completing inventory - I told them it wasn't a rush. As I said, easy experience. My in service date is actually Nov 1st last year - good to know this as well.
Saskatoon, SK
Old 10-02-2013, 09:27 AM   #29
Full Time Camper

Would have thought that the RV dealer would have helped you troubleshoot the problem and replace the pump.

Old 10-02-2013, 03:06 PM   #30
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorskeNY
Would have thought that the RV dealer would have helped you troubleshoot the problem and replace the pump.
Would have gone there, but the 1,000 mile drive to my selling dealer wasn't worth my time!! I knew the local dealer would just waste my time because I didn't buy from them and I'm not too pleased withwhat I've heard regarding their workso I did the trouble shooting myself and ultimately just decided to have it replaced with a new unit under warranty - hence a call to CrossRoads. Actually easier than dealing with the dealer - will take me less than 5 minutes toput in the new pump when it arrives (less time than it took me to figure out that I would need to dismantle the pump completely to find out what was wrong with it). CrossRoads gave me the option of having the local dealer install it - would then need to take it in and leave it with them or install it myself - knowing how easy a job this was I obviously took the second option.
Saskatoon, SK
Old 10-02-2013, 11:56 PM   #31
Full Time Camper

WildWildWest - sounds like CrossRoads gave you a good option. With the pump being under the island it should not too be hard of a job to change it out.

Old 10-03-2013, 08:38 AM   #32
Full Time Camper

Very easy to change. I already had the old one out to see if I could find the problem. I figured it was plugged with plastic bits from the tank but can't see anything without dismantling the whole pump.
Saskatoon, SK
Old 10-03-2013, 09:44 AM   #33
Full Time Camper

My previous 5 RV's all had a filter on the pump suction - usually did not find much debris in the filter. With all of the construction debris I have found in the trailer I can see why that was the cause of the pump failure.

In other industries it would be called foreign material intrusion and would be a very big deal. It is obvious in the RV industry they do not have a "clean as you go process". More like leave it as you go - no time for clean up.

Old 10-03-2013, 11:19 AM   #34
Full Time Camper

I agree. I think the pump is a common replacement in the RV industry because the fellow at crossroads indicated it was likely plugged up with "debris" from the tank. I'm pretty sure they just drill the holes and don't rinse them out and then add sawdust to the mix - it wouldn't take much to plug something.
Saskatoon, SK
Old 10-03-2013, 02:32 PM   #35
Full Time Camper

Send a message via MSN to tator447

Scott,
Thanks for this great report. I also had a 4,000 plus mile trip over 3 months this summer. Most of it with no problems on the part of my unit. I did stop at the factory prior to the rally to have some mods done by Randy and the boys. I did have the Never Fail Bushings installed, had them modify my water pump also, and add a few things for me. I had my dealer install the JT StrongArms and never regretted that.

What I would like to ask you is if you could possibly expound on or post some pictures of what you did with the mods to the bed structure. I have thought of that from day one and would like to increase the support there as we full time in our unit. I had ordered the dual airbags for my F-250 and even talked to the dealer before ordering them and they assured me they would fit. They got here and I took it to my mechanic and they wouldn't bit. I'm now thinking about either the Bilstein's or something else at this point. My unit rides well with my truck but I am always looking for ways to increase the ride and add anything that will increase my safety.

Thanks, travel well,
Jim

Jim & Linda Tator
Watertown, WI
2013 Crusier CF34SS GMC 3500 8.1L Dually
154 nights in 2013 - 4,370 miles
178 nights in 2014 - 5,082 miles
365 nights in 2015 - 6,040 miles
tator447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 01:31 AM   #36
Full Time Camper

I will try to take some pics on the bed mod. Because my unit has a standard slide in the bedroom (not Schwintek) there is much less room under the bed but I used that to simplify the strengthening of the bed. Since the two pieces of plywood are only stapled down the middle to the 2x3 I started by screwing it staggered about every six inches on both sides of the center seam up the middle. At the foot of the bed I added additional support and about 1/3 of the way down. I'll grab some pictures to show it. My modification was pretty fast and didn't require as much work because the bed isn't fully open underneath.
Depending on how your fifth wheel hitch mounts to the frame, some air bag kits don't work with these trucks but I don't know of too many that are like that. Most can be modified to work (Firestone, Airlift), not all installers have done them before and may not understand what needs to be modified. What year is your F250? and what type of 5th wheel hitch mountdo you have?

Bilstein shocks make your ride better 100% of the time -best improvementunloaded, but the air bags can stiffen up the rear and reduce a lot of chucking and bouncing. I know of several people who have used the StableLoads by Torklift instead of airbags and had good experiences. Here is a link to their website.

http://www.torklift.com/products/stableload.php#a7310

If I have time, I'll add a pic under the bed later today.
Saskatoon, SK
Old 10-04-2013, 01:50 AM   #37
Full Time Camper

Did you purchase the Air Lift air bags? Looks like they work on all models of Fords ( f series).

http://www.suspensionconnection.com/...sion_ford.html

Bilsteins - - http://www.kennedydiesel.com/results...ubCategory3=21
W3567 26 Rd

Loyal WI 54446
Installed mine at 22,000 miles - OEMs were shot.

I had to lift the body up with a bottle jack to make room between the axle and the frame to slip the air bag unit in place.

The clamps even fit with the hitch plate I have bolted to the frame.

The rubber stop was removed so the air bag top bracket would fit up to the frame.

Air lines routed to the back of the truck and carry a compressor in the trailer:

Old 10-04-2013, 05:57 AM   #38
Family Vacation Member

WildwildWest

Which dealer did you buy your unit at? Also when you are able to, can you please post a picture of your front jack mod. Thanks

2010 Seville 35CK

2011 Dodge 3500 D.D.MCAB

https://i900.photobucket.com/albums/a...r/photo2-2.jpg
Hummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 12:22 PM   #39
Full Time Camper

We purchased from Pleasureland RV in St. Cloud Minnesota. Which mod are you referring to? If it's the JT Stabilizers I have pics in the Upgrades and Mod section and can find the link but I'm not sure that's what you are referring to.
Saskatoon, SK
Old 10-04-2013, 01:21 PM   #40
Family Vacation Member

Looked the JT Stabilizers up on the net. Found a picture of the front jacks with it on. Thanks. Just wondered where you bought, we bought in SK.

2010 Seville 35CK

2011 Dodge 3500 D.D.MCAB

https://i900.photobucket.com/albums/a...r/photo2-2.jpg
Hummer is offline   Reply With Quote