Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2012, 05:35 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

I have a chance to pick up a used 5th Airborne pin box for my 26RKX Cruiser CTX at a really good price. It is the model 5AB-E1621-610 that is rated for 21k lbs. My question is.......is this too heavy dutyfor my application as my GVW on thetrailer is 11k lbs? 5th Airborne make a 16K model 5AB-E1621-16K that is well within the rating for the trailer. Anyone have have any comments or suggestions? I tried contacting 5th Airborne / Reese but no response to my emails.

Thanks;

RodEdited by: 201126rkx

Steady Fast Stabilizer System

2011 Dodge Ram 3500 Laramie Crew Cab
201126rkx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 01:39 AM   #2
New Camper

Can't see why heavier duty one be a problem I would buy it ,it may weigh more?
Edge10world is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 03:47 AM   #3
Site Team

My opinion is, you can get to heavy and defeat the purpose of the hitch. I think before I jumped out there and bought it, I would contact somebody that could give an informed answer. If you can't a hold of anybody at air borne, call Tweety's they are pretty well versed on hitches.

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 12:33 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

Ditto on Tweety's I think the real concern would be the length of the hitch. When I ordered my Democ they needed the part number off of the lippert pin to make certain it was the proper length

Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 09:28 AM   #5
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Farmer
My opinion is, you can get to heavy and defeat the purpose of the hitch. I think before I jumped out there and bought it, I would contact somebody that could give an informed answer. If you can't a hold of anybody at air borne, call Tweety's they are pretty well versed on hitches.

I guess I am asking but isn't the main component, yes maybe a little heavier metal design but isn't most of it controlled by the pressure in the bag or capacity of said air bag??JBEdited by: John B
Old 07-04-2012, 09:30 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

Instead of putting money on the hitch or pin box I installed air bags on the truck. Inflate to 45 lbs.

2012 Cruiser Patriot CF335SS.

2011 Silverado 3500HD LTZ CCLB Duramax SRW 4X4

https://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/...ailerKeuka.jpg
NorskeNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 12:05 AM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by John B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Farmer

I guess I am asking but isn't the main component, yes maybe a little heavier metal design but isn't most of it controlled by the pressure in the bag or capacity of said air bag??JB
Ya know John, you are probably correct on that. I had the Mor/ryde stuck in my head when I stated that. I wasn't thinking about being able to adjust the pressure in the air bag. If that's the case I definitely stand corrected.

Edited by: Old Farmer
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote