Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2015, 10:52 AM   #1
Site Team

A good Cruiser

It seems there's always an abundance of negative posts on the forum about this or that brand or model of RV. And not to often a positive post. Now I'm not pointing a finger at any one, because we all know-- there are some units that should never have gotten out the door at the factory.
Now I would like to tell you about one of the good units.

We have owned numerous RV's over the years, but we've never kept one as long as we have the present one.
This thing will be eligible for collector plates pretty soon.
There has been a few issues with this unit that I took it back to the dealer for, but none were anything major. I probably could have taken care of all the problems that arose, but the first couple years we had this camper I had a little misfortune of twice falling from a ladder and ending up with bleeding on the brain. That messes a persons thinking and reasoning up pretty bad. So I had to rely on my dealer for some of my service work during that time. I will add, I was lucky enough to have an excellent dealer with a top notch team in the shop.

Since that time I have been doing all my own service work that has arisen, which hasn't been much over and beyond the normal maintenance. Plus all the mods I “had” to have.

Our Cruiser has been to the west coast, TX. and many many places in between. All with out once ever leaving us stranded or down.

Better be careful, I'll jinx myself.

I don't really have any complaints on this rig. It has served us well. Hopefully it will give us another 8 years of trouble free enjoyment.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 12:38 PM   #2
Weekend Camper

Our 2012 Cruiser 27RLX has also been trouble free and I hope it remains to be as yours has.. Happy Travels!
2000 Ram 2500
https://i1301.photobucket.com/albums/...ps54589c14.jpg
bdwillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 04:18 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

Way to go Lloyd...I agree with the comments above and am glad you posted this thread. I am also the owner of a pretty good unit. I did replace the fridge but all the other appliances have been untouched. No leaks, very reliable. I will have to do brakes next year but the rig has been very good to us.
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 06:13 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

We too have not had any CrossRoads problems. Never been back to the Dealer for any Warranty work(Good Thing they went out of the business a year after purchase) The only major deal is two years ago we had a blow out with two year old tires did all most 7,000 of damage. Not CrossRoads fault I replaced the tire with what a tire store said was the best
Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 06:25 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

Thanks Lloyd

Way to go Lloyd.
We've thought of this often, it may the nature of a forum.
  • I suspect that folks come here when they have a problem and are looking for a solution but there has to be a multitude of problem free RVs out there that are never heard from.
  • I also think that folks purchasing an RV figure that they are purchasing a new trouble free Buick. It isn't.
  • We all need a good dealer that have quality service personnel. We do and we're sticking with them.
  • Being negative is easier than being positive; it's human nature.

gotta get back to work... see ya.
Old 08-17-2015, 07:37 PM   #6
Site Team

Except for the awning lights, ripped seal and a broken closet door my 2013 Cruiser Patriot has served us very well. And that's after having hundreds go through it at the Hershey Rv show where we purchased it. All the warranty work was approved by Crossroads and handled by our dealer. (although the dealer was extremely slow in completing the work)
Since the 2 year warranty is up, we rely now on the extended warranty for any future issues AND, I found a nearby Rv dealer (non Crossroads) that will perform any extended warranty work.
All minor issues can be handled by myself with help from this forum and the internet. You have to be handy and confident to own an Rv, otherwise you will have to depend on your dealer for ALL the repairs.

Finally, like Lloyd said, I hope I didn't just jinx myself.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 11:15 PM   #7
JJC
Weekend Camper

Glad to here many are having success with their RV's. I think they are like many other products....you get good ones and bad ones even under the same brand. I think it makes life a little easier if you just expect that you are going to have a few problems (Especially in the RV world). My wife and I are still newbies and we have only owned our 250RB TT for 8 months now but have been very fortunate to only have had a few minor issues. We have had it out a total of 18 days so far this year and we absolutely love it!!! Next trip Fort DeSoto St.Petersburg FL!

Jerry, Jannette and the Pups Casey & poco
2015 Sunset Trail 250RB Superlite TT
2016 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 4x4
JJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 09:28 AM   #8
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamper Dave View Post
Way to go Lloyd.
We've thought of this often, it may the nature of a forum.
  • I suspect that folks come here when they have a problem and are looking for a solution but there has to be a multitude of problem free RVs out there that are never heard from.
  • I also think that folks purchasing an RV figure that they are purchasing a new trouble free Buick. It isn't.
  • We all need a good dealer that have quality service personnel. We do and we're sticking with them.
  • Being negative is easier than being positive; it's human nature.

gotta get back to work... see ya.
These are definitely some trends that we see on the forums, for sure! Couldn't have said it better myself.
That being said, threads like this are SO encouraging to hear. Thanks Lloyd, and everyone else!
ChristianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 02:50 PM   #9
Family Vacation Member

I bought a new unit in March. Our third trailer, first 5th wheel. I've had a few issues with it but still love the trailer. Unfortunately it has been in CW for over a month of the summer (2 separate times), and will have to go back to finish stuff up that was recently found.

What I will give Cruiser a lot of credit is I contacted one of the staff on this forum about one of my issues and received a call from the factory 2 day later with a potential fix. That is pretty good customer service from my point of view.
Old 08-18-2015, 04:27 PM   #10
Full Time Camper

We've had a LOT of problems with our unit, and it's been back to the factory three times already. We still love the trailer - the shape, size, layout, etc. and Crossroads has been very good about fixing the stuff. So we will keep it for now, and hope that we have reached the end of our trailer troubles.

2012 Cruiser Sahara 330SS
2015 F250 Super Duty diesel
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 11:33 AM   #11
Site Team

Just a heads up---I started this thread to show there are in fact- Cruisers out there that are and have been relatively problem free.
Now I see there are posts showing up with problems/complaints. This thread wasn't intended for that.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 01:10 PM   #12
Full Time Camper

Hoping to avoid the jinx as well. We have also enjoyed a trouble free unit
Built August 2010 it has travelled cross country from Rhode Island.
We have travelled over 23,000 miles since new. I am quite happy and satisfied with my CR 5th wheel.
Reese 16K Slider Wet Bolts
socoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 07:18 PM   #13
Weekend Camper

We have had our 04 cruiser for two years, and so far, nothing I couldn't fix. But proportionately, I'm well over 50-1 enjoyment to repair time. Seems like a better ratio than my house!
newbienomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 07:21 PM   #14
Full Time Camper

I will chime in here....our first Cruiser was a 2009 CT31RL travel trailer that we had for 7.5 years. After bringing the unit home, I went through and checked/tightened all connections, and added some support under the shower. Various mods were done over the years for ease of service or upgrades. In the 7.5 years, the only item that needed replaced was the water pump and I upgraded to a new 4.2 gpm unit....should have done that years ago...what a difference.
We would have probably kept the unit another year as we were getting to the point of out-growing the unit, but we could not pass up the deal on the 2015 Rushmore after this years factory rally. Time will tell with the Rushmore as I think they got the kinks worked with this model year, but if not, we will work through the issues if/when they may come up.

2015 Rushmore Springfield
Disc Brake upgrade, Goodyear G614 tire upgrade
RV FLEX-ARMOR roof, Mor-Ryde IS suspension

2017 F350 Dually 4x4 6.7 Bronze Fire
gossamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 11:05 AM   #15
BWS
Weekend Camper

Thanks Lloyd, great thread. We have a 31RK that has been almost problem free as well. Small things that one should expect. We purchased it based on the layout and the construction. Never been disappointed. Added some upgrades to make it user friendly. Been to Florida once, hope to go again. All over Ontario for 5 years 35-45 nights a year. Really makes you think if we were to trade.
BWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 07:27 PM   #16
Family Vacation Member

Good thread LLoyd. I also have made small mods to our 07 32BL. But other than replacing dry rot tires and a battery, we are absolutely satisfied with our Cruiser. We have had up to 10 stay with us at a time, and it's done very well. As far as pulling it, with some suspension modifications and programming for my f250, I have no problems putting over 5k miles on it over the last 18 months.
I will be putting more time in next year camping, so prudence demands an extended warranty. I would imagine age will slowly creep into the mix of maintenance.
SCT Flash 4X tune
Billstein upgrade shocks and dampener
2008 Crossroads Cruiser 32BL
RADMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 08:51 AM   #17
Family Vacation Member

My biggest complaint is I bought an extended warranty! Yes it went to the dealer once because the black water flush kit pulled. And now the China Bomb tires are worn and had a blow-out.
We just LOVE this trailer (we have had 2 others of different brands).
Haven't tracked mileage but its been to Utah for 3 weeks,Dakota's a couple of times and almost every other weekend out for trips 2-6 hours away.

2006 GMC Duramax-Edge Evolution

2011 CT29RLX

Bikes,Canoe,toys,toys,toyz
we-canoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 06:23 AM   #18
Seasonal Camper

I agree that people come to these sites for answers and often others with the same or sometimes another problem add their gripes to the thread. The upside of that is that you can find trends such as don't be over trusting of factory tires. The downside is the discouragement newbies or casual readers can get. As we all know, one "Aw Shucks" kills a thousand "Attaboys."

Trailers and fifth wheels tend to have the unfortunate characteristics of a flimsy house that is dragged thousands of miles over all manner of roads and they require a certain amount of coddling, preventative maintenance, etc. However I think the vast majority come from the factory needing minor tweaks that an astute buyer can spot before buying. And dealers are very efficient until you hand over the check. They can also be a big part of any repair problem after the sale. Even with an awesome dealer, it is a major hassle to take your unit in.

If you are the statistic, your view will be different. After all, you are perfectly safe on a plane unless you are on the one out of tens of thousands that makes the news.

My Cruiser Aire is awesome and I got the few problems ironed out before I bought it. Knock on wood, its smooth cruising now.
Old 05-23-2016, 08:26 PM   #19
Weekend Camper

I have an 04 that I aquired last year. Everything in it works and works well. Don't know if previous owners did much to it. It doesn't have as many gimmics and gadgets as the newer ones so I have less stuff to break. So far I changed the tires the day I bought it and then a battery. Of course DW needed all new dishes, utensils, linens and towels. Our model has the rear living room and the views are just terrific out the back and slide side windows. We love the lazyboys. Our popup didn't have that..
matherne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 04:00 AM   #20
Full Time Camper

We've owned four Jaycos, two Scamps, one Coachman and owned a Cruiser between the last Jayco and Scamps and now are on our second Cruiser. All have been good units but have to say I enjoyed the Cruiser the most so that's why we recently purchased our second and probably our last new Cruiser. I'm hoping this one will be as good as our first one and last many many years. So, yes there are good units out there and its great to see a thread started to prove that all are not bad. Thanks Lloyd

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote