Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2009, 11:37 PM   #1
Family Vacation Member

We were having trouble with the ceiling sweating with the AC on. So I took down the vents to have a look and the ductwork in the living room is about 16 inches longer than the last vent. In the bedroom the duct goes about 32 inches past the last vent. Has anybody else ever noticed this? Seems kinda strange to blow air down an empty duct. I blocked the living room off after the last vent and it was a lot better. Also some of the vents were sticking up in the duct so far that they were only about1/4 of an inch from the top of the duct. I cut them dowm so they are flush with bottom. The air flow was a lot better and I am going to add a vent in the bedroom with all of the extra duct. There was also several holes in the duct at the unit itself. Hopefully this will solve my problem.

2009 CT31RL

2016 Chevrolet 2500HD High Country

Hensley Hitch
ajlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 12:09 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

I found the same thing on our old Cruiser and on our Paradise Pointe. What I did which really helped was to spray expanding foam in the ends of the duct work to seal them off. In fact on the PP I found one of the ends completely open in the bedroom area (blowing cool are into the attic space) and once I sealed it off we had a lot more air. The front AC unit was basically blowing most of its cold air out this duct at the end. I also removed all the dampers in the AC outlets which increased air flow. The last thing I did was remove all the vents from the ceiling and used aluminum AC/eating tape to seal the are between the ceiling and attic space to prevent cool air from escaping there. I was really surprised at how poorly the duct work was put together and how much air was lost because of this.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 02:32 AM   #3
Seasonal Camper

I did the exact same thing as Hunter did only I used some left over insulation that I had, I also did all the heat ducts ans covered the plates on the back of the furnace, I had alot of cold air going into the attic and alot of heat being lost by blowing out the back of the furnace, this is one job that it is worth the time and effort to do..

2004 Ford F-350 CC dually 4X4
mbinohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 02:55 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

mbinohio, I had forgotten about the heating system and all the work I had to do on the Cruiser and PP to fix the air leaks in it. I think the biggest air loss on the heating unit is at the blanks they install for extra duct work that end up falling out or coming part way out. I had to seal all ours with the same aluminum tapeI used on the AC system. I also installed a couple of adjustable heater vent covers to redirect more warm air to the bedroom area.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 06:45 AM   #5
Seasonal Camper

Hunter, most people don't check the furnace, it's not so easy to get to, but it sure amkes a difference I did all mine with the aluminum tape and it made a big difference now if they would put in a quieter unit things would be good....

2004 Ford F-350 CC dually 4X4
mbinohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 11:10 PM   #6
Weekend Camper

I did the same thing. I found the tape they used around the vents to secure the duct work was bunched up and actually blocking the flow of air thru the duct work. Some was hanging off and not even holding it. I used alum a/c tape and retaped all the duct work and now the air to the bedroom is much better. I will do the heat sometime before we turn it on this winter.

Land O Lakes, FL

2007 CF29CK

Ford F250 Diesel Crew Cab
tgckmc is offline   Reply With Quote