Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-21-2012, 12:25 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

We have these Akuret ST235/80R16 tires on our 2012 Cruiser 335SS as original equipment. We have put about 3000 miles on them since we bought the 5er and have had no issues. I have managed to introduce them to a couple of curbs though. (Slow learner!)

I am now going to add a TPMS to the unit and since I have to pop the tires to put in steel valve stems I am considering changing the tires as I have heard some bad things about them as "China Bombs". Info on these tires is very hard to find although it seems there are people out there with bad experiences on most tire brands.

My dilemma is this. I am looking at Firestone Transforce HT's or Bridgestone Duravis 250's in the LT range or Carlisle Radial Trail RH's as a replacement. The LT tires are rated at 3046 lb and the trailer tires are rated at 3520 lb. I get conflicting reports about putting LT rated tires on the trailer but all ST tires are manufactured in China. The trailer sits on 5200 lb axles so I should be OK.

Any thoughts on these Akuret tires and advice on the best way to go??

TosorontioWanderers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 01:37 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

Send a message via MSN to tator447

I also have the "Akuret" brand on my 28RKX. I have only about 2,000 miles on my unit, but through all the weather ups and downs we have had, I will say I have not lost 1 lb of pressure in my tires. As of now they are showing no wear that I can see. I do use a tire dressing on them every time I get to a new campgroung and then when I put it back in the storage lot. This is just my opinion but I think there may be people who have problems that either don't check the pressure enough, or who don't drive at a safe rate of speed. Again, JMHO. I will continue to keep a good eye on them and should I see any signs of wear or breakdown in them I will go with a higher rated tire. I will also be adding TPMS next spring when my wife retires and we travel more.

Jim

Jim & Linda Tator
Watertown, WI
2013 Crusier CF34SS GMC 3500 8.1L Dually
154 nights in 2013 - 4,370 miles
178 nights in 2014 - 5,082 miles
365 nights in 2015 - 6,040 miles
tator447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 01:41 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

Go with the LT tires you will not be sorry. Several of us on here have done so and not had any issues since doing so. We have been through the China bomb tires on our current trailer andI will never own another unit with ST tires on it.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 11:36 PM   #4
Weekend Camper

I currently have the factory Akurets on our 5th wheel. In the past we also installed some Akurets on the prior 5th wheel we owned , a stock trailer, and equipment trailer. On the equipment trailer I haul tractors, a lot of the time in 100 degree heat. I personally have never had a problem with them. Keep them aired between 70and 80psi and change them out after 5 years. I do not put enough miles on my trailers to wear out the tread.

2012 Crossroads Cruiser 31QB

B&W Companion Hitch

martinstwopopfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 04:57 AM   #5
Weekend Camper

Thanks for you input and experience.

Still working on the tire issue. I have my TPMS components now and want to get it done. My RV dealer didn't seem big on LT Tires and say they have had no issues with the Akuret tires (although they wouldn't sell them). I have also been cautioned about sidewall roll with LT tires. Any comments on this?

Old 10-03-2012, 05:20 AM   #6
Family Vacation Member

My LT tires on my truck take a He** of a beating and sit outside 24/7 have weight on them everytime I tow the fiver, and they don't blow out. I hit chuck holes galore, turn every which way, put 50k miles on them and they still don't blow out. They say the ST's get dry rot from seting outside all of the time. I pull my fiver down to Florida and back and have a blow out. I think the ST's are made very cheap---LT's will costa littlemore but for me I'm going to put them all around on mytrailer the next time Ichange tires. My 2 cents worth.

Flyone
Old 10-03-2012, 07:26 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

I have 2 trips from NY to fl on my lt's and think they are great. I will never go back to st tires.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 11:12 AM   #8
Weekend Camper

Well, finally have it done. Have mounted Bridgestone Duravis R500 HD LT235/85R16 tires on my 5'er along with the TST 507 TPMS system.

I will update my experiences with both the TPMS system and the tires as we roll along.

Old 11-11-2012, 08:54 AM   #9
Family Vacation Member

I read some years ago in "Camer Life" that ST tire had a UV protectant in the ruber because trailer tire sit facing the sun not switching to the shady side like a vehical will as drivin dailey ( I try to tow as much as we can). Go with the LTs. My China Duros are holding up so far with 4-5000 on'em.

2006 GMC Duramax-Edge Evolution

2011 CT29RLX

Bikes,Canoe,toys,toys,toyz
we-canoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 01:17 PM   #10
Weekend Camper

I'm a little late with the update, but our Bridgestone LT's have gone to Florida and back roughly about 5000 km. I think the trailier rides and tracks better, and the wear so far is negligible. No handling problems at all. In fact we ran into one situation that involved a panic stop on I-75 and went from 60 mph to almost 0 with no problems at all. They are a little larger, making my between wheel chocks a little difficult to fit, but I am extremely happy with the tires.