Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-12-2010, 03:39 AM   #1
New Camper

We purchased the RVque (brand name) barbeque and it is designed to rest on the side of the trailer. Has anyone mounted the piece of channel that is screwed to the side of the cruiser? The channel holds the bracket for the RVque. Dont know if the heat from the barbeque will damage the side of the 5er.

Flipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 04:34 AM   #2
Family Vacation Member

Hi Flipper. I do not own this unit so take this info for what it's worth. Most brackets can be easily mounted to the exterior surface by setting the screws into the studs. Make sure you locate the studs before drilling. You will want to consider the heat transfer and have adequate separation. Keep in mind any oil/grease splattering. Personally all my cooking is away from my unit.

Northern California

2004 CF25RS

2004 F250 SD PSD

https://i632.photobucket.com/albums/u.../Truck5th2.jpg

Korbe & Diana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 06:06 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

I agree with keeping the cooking away from the side. When I was a a dealership this last Oct. Isaw a man trying to clean the side of a travel trailer. It turns out the folks had mounted an out side grill on it and it had grease all over it. instead of cleaning it then they drove off. apparently more than once. all that dirt mixed in made a major mess, I do not know if it ever came clean

Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 08:40 AM   #4
Family Vacation Member

Flipper

I am not trying to burst your bubble but if you go to RV.NET and search RVQue you will find all sorts of horror stories. I personally had one on our old trailer and did not find it much good. It always blows out because the gas is double regulated and doesn't seem to have enough pressure. It is designed not to get to hot to burn your trailer but will cook burgers in 1.5 hours if you know what I mean. We ended up converting the quick connect to run a standard BBQ connection (Weber). All I can say is good luck.

Rob,Sue&Cyndi

2008 Dodge 3500 6.7
RSCREES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 10:28 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

Not to rain on your parade, but....

A friend of mine had an RVque on his now 5 year Rockwood. He is now using a Webber Q as the RVque was more a pain than it was worth. He didn't have any problems with splatter, but issue with the unit holding up. The brackets began to fail and it didn't cook very evenly.

Not sure what the RVque cost, but if you look you may find a Weber Q 100 for less than $100.00. I found mine at Kohl's last year around Memorial Day for $89 on sale with a 30% off coupon. I then pick-up the storage bag at Camping World end of this season for $24.00. Weber does sell a stand for the Q series grills, but I use a cheap o wood roll-up from Walmart it works great, it's small and enough surface area for plates, spices, etc.

'07 F250 Diesel Crew Cab 4x4

'08 CF30QB

Reese Signature Slider 18k Hitch
salda01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 10:45 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

Has anyone removed the regulator on the Weber Q series grill so it can be connected to the low pressure gasconnection that CR provides?I spoke to Weber and they did not recommend connecting to a low pressure source and removing the grill regulator.
2009 F-150XLT
Russb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 11:03 AM   #7
Family Vacation Member

I had a RV Q in one camper and thought it did good.Only problem I had was the side of that camper wasn't reinforced well enough so I took it to the dealer and he had to put something on the inside of the wall to hold it better.The bracket that it sets in keeps it far enough away from the camper that my grill didn't give me any heat problem.Mine also had a quick connect female end just under the side of the camper just for the grill which had the male in on the hose.I never checked to see if it was high or low pressure.There is a Tee you can buy that goes between the tank and the regulator that has a hose connection that can be used for any thing that requires high pressure.I'm not sure but think it was called Extended stay.

2009 Cruiser 29RK
FB1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 11:07 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to mwebber78

I had an RVQ on my Jayco. It never burned the side of the trailer, it did however leave a grease residue on the fiberglass requiring cleaning.

For the money, I'd buy a Weber unit. The RVQ is a low BTU unit (think: fiberglass, heat and fire).
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 01:22 AM   #9
New Camper

From experience, you completely strave before the burgers actually cook. Curious. How did you convert the quick connect to run a Weber? Did you make use of the existing hose running through the camper? I installed a T in front of the propane tank regulator and just run an extension out to the grill. Is this what you did?
pupup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 03:00 AM   #10
Full Time Camper

Send a message via MSN to tator447

I personally purchased the Coleman Roadmate...my reason being it is portable and when we are not camping we use it at home. Have cooked 6 large steaks on it for friends and family and it works very well. Have not figured out how to hook it to the quick connect yet but I am not that concerned with it either...prefer to cook further from the camper anyway JMHO

Jim

Jim & Linda Tator
Watertown, WI
2013 Crusier CF34SS GMC 3500 8.1L Dually
154 nights in 2013 - 4,370 miles
178 nights in 2014 - 5,082 miles
365 nights in 2015 - 6,040 miles
tator447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 01:51 PM   #11
Weekend Camper

When I had my Rockwood TT I had one on the side it worked fine just grease on the wall to clean off. I later got a coleman roadtrip grill and soon sold it. I now have a camp chief double burner with the grill, cast iron griddle, and cast iron #10 pot. and I love it. I guess over time you will find what best works for you.

2003 Ford F250

2012 Sahara

From Pigeon Forge TN

https://i1261.photobucket.com/albums/...9/DSC_0093.jpg
jim carpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 10:20 AM   #12
Family Vacation Member

We have the weber Q220 and it works great after two years. I personally would not mount a grill to the motorhome but thats just my two cents.:
Captain Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 01:40 PM   #13
Full Time Camper

I bought two Jayco's that had an RVQ. The two RVQ's sold quickly on EBay, uneven heat and flare ups, pretty much a low end BBQ. Invest in a Weber portable and keep the fire and grease away from your RV.

Best of luck, Mike.
Old 06-15-2012, 09:09 PM   #14
Full Time Camper

Mike long time no see I thought you left us forever.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 03:19 AM   #15
Full Time Camper

Sorry to hijack the thread but I'm still around. I was asked to go to Japan so I'm living a dream doing my work and getting paid to see Japan! I'm in my 2nd rotation living in Nagoya Japan.
Old 06-16-2012, 07:43 AM   #16
Full Time Camper

Wow good for you. Hope to see you this year. Now back to grilling.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 07:09 AM   #17
New Camper

We have a BBQ grill that attaches to the channel on the side of our trailer. We have used it to cook all of our grilled food from burgers and dogs to chicken, lamb, pork chops, and steak. We have never had a problem in 5 years. No grease on the side of the camper either. We love that the grill is under the awning so we can cook in the rain without getting wet. It is great to cook outside so that the camper doesn't heat up inside in the summer time. The only time we don't use the grill is when the wind is blowing the sand really hard.

Chicken does take a while to cook on this grill. And you do need to pull out the grease catcher tray under the grill and empty it before putting the grill away in the storage (when cooled off.)

sandia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 02:27 AM   #18
New Camper

I Bought a portable weber ,with the Regulater attacked and connected to the propane outlet on 5er didn't feel very hot so I removed the Regulater from bbqMuch better heat.
Edge10world is offline   Reply With Quote