Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-10-2010, 06:24 AM   #1
Full Time Camper

Any constuctive thoughts concerning this 2004 Crossroads Cruiser with AL-KO axles are welcome.

We are about to purchase a new pair of DEXTER EZLUB AXLES and a EZ Flex Suspension Kit.

The reason is that we took out 1st 5,000 mile trip in 2008 with our new / used 2004 Cruiser only to find that we ruined the original tires. We were NOT overloaded. We replaced all the tires with a better tire (same weight class but higher rating& steel belted, fully inflated) These tires made it for 15,000 miles.

We called Crossroads to learn that the AL-KO axles should be replaced. Dexter Axles were suggested by others. The Dexter Dealer is close by and very helpful. (free shipping) They did suggest a 6,000 lb axle over the 5,200 lb axle and statedthat the hubs and brakes are interchangible.

The plan is to pull the rig out of storage, jack it up, pull off the hubs and brakes, drop the axles, install the suspension kit, bolt up the new axles, re-install the brakes, repack the bearings, TEST drive itand hit the road.

Am I missing anything?

Thanks in advance.

Kamper Dave

Old 01-10-2010, 08:11 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

i dont have any constructive thoughts concerning the work your doing but i'd like to see pictures and post your results when your done. thanks.

2000 ford f350 v10-2008 ford oem rims & tires

https://i647.photobucket.com/albums/u...cture451-1.gif

spinella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 10:07 AM   #3
Weekend Camper

I suggest while you are at it replace the springs and when the job is complete have the assembly aligned by a professional shop. I learned from expensive experience.
https://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r...aravan07-2.gif
pegger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 11:15 AM   #4
Seasonal Camper

I helped a friend do this exact thing on a 2003 CF27RL after tire failures on a trip to Colorado.

Two new Dexter 6000 lbs. axles bolted right up. Dexter would only supply the 6000 lbs axles because of the distance from the spring mount to the wheel flange face. They contend the thicker axle tube is needed for this distance.

Three years now and no further issues with tires.

Viet Nam Vet 70-71 Da Nang

Real airplanes have two wings and big, round, engines
BipeFlier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 01:24 PM   #5
Weekend Camper

If you got the $$$$ install hydraulic disk brakes while you're at it. You'll thank me the first time it rains and some idiot pulls in front of you and hits his brakes.

2005 Cf29CK with all the goodies and hydraulic disk brakes
Squaredancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 10:44 PM   #6
Family Vacation Member

I would choose Dexter over any brand out there. They are a very reputable company with top notch support. I also like overkill. A 6000 axle just sounds better than a 5200lb axle!!

Good luck on your project, keep us informed
Pull Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 11:28 PM   #7
Family Vacation Member

I have a 2004 cruiser with tire wear issues. How do I see if I have AL-KO axles? Did Crossroads say what the problem was?

Northern California

2004 CF25RS

2004 F250 SD PSD

https://i632.photobucket.com/albums/u.../Truck5th2.jpg

Korbe & Diana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 09:18 PM   #8
Family Vacation Member

My axles had a tag on the back middle of the axle. This information helped Lippert determine the information and lead me to a resolution. The date of manufacture was on this tag also. The folks at Lippert never said anything about ALKO making my axle so at the time I thought they had manufactured it.
Pull Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 09:51 PM   #9
Full Time Camper

Thanks for the suggestion aboutreplacing the springs.

This would ensure that there would be no problems installing the Suspension Kit. (such as: driving out the old bushings or new bushings that do not fit). There would only be 3 bolts per side to remove and replace. Nice.

The existing springsare 25.5" dual eye with four 1.75" leaves.

Any idea what weight rating they should be? Are they marked?

1,700 lbs seems weak.

I would think that the higher the rating therougher the ride.

Thanks
Old 01-18-2010, 01:19 AM   #10
Seasonal Camper

Check that your spring hangers are located correct. To do this first get the trailer level as possible. Then hang a plumb bob from the pin. Measure from each spring hanger bolt to the plumb bob line. Keep the measuring tape as level as possible. If any measurement is more than Â? inch off I would consider cutting off the hanger and locating where it belongs. With a two axle trailer there would be 6 measurements.
rcflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 02:44 AM   #11
Weekend Camper

The Al-Ko axles on the '04 models are a very well known issue.

There were specific serial numbers from about Sep 03 to May 04 that had bad axles.

The cause is/was due to a computer glitch where the hubs were welded to the tube part of the axle - out of alignment.

Our '04CF28CK fell in that specific range and were changed out under warranty.

We were lucky in that the severe wear become clearly visible after a 1500 mile trip.

Do a search on these forums and you'll find enough to keep you busy for a month of Sundays'

Also, easy lube axles on a trailer with brakes are like oil and water, they don't mix.

Just make sure you know what your doing when it comes to "shoot the grease" in those axles. I know - I know. Just don't ask me how I know that.

greyeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 11:22 AM   #12
Full Time Camper

Thanks again for all of your tips concerning our axle replacement project.

The original springs were rated at 2,600 pounds OR one half the axle rating.

So I will be ordering new springs rated at 2,900 pounds. That is as close to one half the 6,000 axle rating as I can find. It will have one more leaf that the old unit. Guess we will be riding a 1/4" higher that before.

Thanks Again

Kamper Dave