Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2009, 02:39 AM   #1
Family Vacation Member

When I purchased this 06 CF29CK Cruiser used from the dealer the tires were like new. The original owner had pulled the trailer only a few miles from home. He made no long trips. I have pulled it over 850 miles now and discovered the inside tread on one of the tires was totally gone. Upon closer examination it looked like the axle was out of toe slightly. I called Lippert immediately and they refused to replace the axle. I was not the original purchaser and besides it was out of warranty. After I agreed to purchase the new axle it was shipped to my home. Upon close inspection and comparing it to the new axle, it looked like the spindle may have been welded on crooked. An obvious alignment problem in their weld shop jig. I really doubt this axle had been curbed hard enough to bend it by the original owner. They had ask me for the serial number and build date found on a tag attached to the axle and stopped short of telling me it was a manufacturing problem. The NTSB apparently does not force recalls on trailers like they do on motor vehicles. Defective frames and axles are more common than one may like to believe. I really think something like this should have been covered by a recall.
Pull Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 01:04 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

i agree. it should be covered. seems lipperts quality is hit or miss. its something we should all look out for.

2000 ford f350 v10-2008 ford oem rims & tires

https://i647.photobucket.com/albums/u...cture451-1.gif

spinella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 09:46 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

More miss than hit.......
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 12:16 AM   #4
Seasonal Camper

Pull Dog, your story sounds very familiar. I purchased my '04 Paradise Point when it was ayear and half old.The original owners had the dealer towit to there summer spot and back to the dealer when they traded it in. After towing it several hundred miles I notice two tires completely shot on the inner half. I contacted CrossRoads who admitted Alko had been replacing several axles at their expense because ofthe hubs not being welded on correctly. My serial number was within the relm of numbers that had axles replaced. Because the CrossRoads warranty was out I had to contact Alko who wanted me to ship them the axle shafts for inspection. If they deemed them bad they would send me new shafts. If they were not badthey would send them back, all at my expense because Iam not the original owner.Needlesss to say I didn't go for it. I contacted the NHTSA and they did areport but nothing else. I've since replaced the nylon tires from the factory with ST radials and they seem to be doing fine. If these tires start show abnormal wear I plan to take the trailer to an alignment shop and have the axles bent to correct them. $150 to have this done is better than Alko's idea.It's sad that nobody takes pride inthe job they do these days.
https://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l1...04/TheRig3.jpg
scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 02:59 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to mwebber78
My 2009 had 2 bad axles and they were replaced. I can not say enough bad things about Lippert's QC.
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 12:29 PM   #6
Family Vacation Member

On Lippert axles out of warranty, is it possible to just have an alignment done to correct the problem. Unless it is a obvious problem with a spindle being incorrectly welded, seems a good trailer alignment shop could fix it.

pulpwood007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 10:11 PM   #7
Family Vacation Member

I was not aware AlKo made the axles for Lippert. The new axle I received had a manufacturing date of July 21, the very day I called Lippert!! I assumed they welded one up and shipped it to me. I surely hope this new axle does not have issues. I'm leaving on a trip next Friday and don't want any surprises.
Old 07-31-2009, 12:36 AM   #8
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pull Dog
I was not aware AlKo made the axles for Lippert. The new axle I received had a manufacturing date of July 21, the very day I called Lippert!! I assumed they welded one up and shipped it to me. I surely hope this new axle does not have issues. I'm leaving on a trip next Friday and don't want any surprises.

Pull Dog, sorry for the confusion but Alko and Lippert are separate manufactures as far as I know. My point was that it's not only Lippert that has quality control problems. I would guess that if the new axle was manufactured that quick and sent to you they paid very close attention to the details to make sure it is correct. Hope everything works out for your trip. Keep us posted on how it plays out and have a safe trip.
Old 07-31-2009, 08:39 AM   #9
Family Vacation Member

Send a message via Yahoo to KHUNLINDA2003
We also had bad axles on our 2004 Silverado. We had them aligned by and alignment shop in Redding CA. With 40K miles we have had 3 sets of tires so needless to say we check the tires very often by running our hands over the tread and sidewalls.
KHUNLINDA2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 11:08 PM   #10
New Camper

I am a seasonal camper in Nova Scotia, Canada and we decided to go on vacation
so I took my trailer (07 Cruiser 5th) for a safety inspection and the rear axle had collapsed
at the clamps so it failed of course. I had not moved it since it was delivered by the dealer
in June 07 and the spring shop said that if this had been done by me hitting something to
do this much damage the wheels would have ended up in the kitchen due to the force required;
an obvious defect in the Lippert axle. My unit was out of warranty by two months so I contacted
CrossRoads to explain what had occurred and the reply I received is indicated below:
(short and to the point!)<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" />---- Service6 &lt;service6@crossroadsrv.com&gt; wrote: This unit retailed 5/26/07 and is out of warranty. Janet Fanning Crossroads RV Service Dept. Unfortunately for me the fix will be about $1100.00 to have a new axle installed. Last weekend
I was camping and met a man who owned a 07 Zinger with the side of his camper dented so I
ask him what had happened, he explained that two months after purchasing the camper the wheel
flew off while driving down the road. I also had a discussion with a lady who used to work with
a RV retailer in Canada; out of the 2007 CrossRoads units delivered to the dealer that year seven
had factory defects in the axles. The next time I buy an RV the first place I will check is the RV
brand name and the axle manufacturer; I would recommend others do the same. </PRE>
ShawnS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 11:37 PM   #11
Full Time Camper

Unfortuanately this is the very reason we have probably bought our last CR product. It has come to the point where Lippert crap will cause us to look for a different brand when we buy again which may be sooner than later. Now there are some companies that use Lippert products that are not having near the issues CR has and some that have about the same so that tells me it may have something to do with what the manufacture requires from Lippert. We have begun looking at 5th wheels that make their own frames or non Lippert which may cost us a little more but would be worth it in the long run.

I am really sorry to hear of your problem and find the response you got from CR unacceptable. They should be willing to step up and take care of the problem or at the very least be on Lippert to get the problem repaired for you since your unit is only a couple of months out of warranty. I would suggest you call Randy Mischler @ CR and discuss the problem with him to see if he might be able to help you. CR does have excellent customer service but there is only so much they can take from a poor supplier before it starts to effect their sales. Keep us informed of what happens.
Old 08-27-2009, 04:32 AM   #12
Seasonal Camper

I thought I read somewhere that the axles and frames have a warranty from the manufacturer that is longer than the 2 years CR has on the entire unit. My thinking was that the axles were warranted for 5 years to the original owner of the unit. Am I just dreaming this or has anyone else read this?
Old 08-27-2009, 06:03 AM   #13
Full Time Camper

I think the frame and axlesare 2 years and everything that sits on them is 5 years. I could very well be wrong but that is the way I read it.
Old 08-27-2009, 06:25 AM   #14
Full Time Camper

Keith I think you are correct on the axle warranty. Get ready for the rain and cold, Janet and I are headed that way the 9th of Sept., all you have to do is declare it a rally Edited by: fhenn
Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 09:51 AM   #15
Full Time Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to mwebber78
I can't complain too much beyond saying Lippert is not my favorite product. Crossroads on the other hand has been exceptional in correcting any issues that are Lippert or Crossroads related or otherwise.

If I were in the market it'd be a Cruiser 32BL with the Partiot PKG. - maybe next year if the economy pulls itself out of the hole.
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 03:39 PM   #16
Weekend Camper

We have a 2008 34RL Paradise Point and almost had a wheel fall off. We felt something was wrong, pulled over, jacked up the RV and the whole wheel fell off. Fortunately, I was on a side street and not a busy highway. I was able to replace the bearings and the races and get it to a repair shop. Lippert overnighted a new axel to ABEL RV in Bartlett, IL. Fortunately my unit was under warranty. The problem isLippert doesn't use cotter pins. They use a little washer that they bend over.

Tom Seiler

Downers Grove, IL
pointer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 11:27 PM   #17
Family Vacation Member

Thanks for everyone's comments on my original post. It seems some have problems and some do not. Quality has been replaced by profit to many companies. I guess they must come up with vulgar CEO salaries some way or another $$$.

The new axle I received from Lippert has corrected all of my tire wear problems. I just compeleted atrip of 1500 miles and mynewtires on this axle look perfect. I feel Lippert treated me fairly since I did not purchase this Crossroads Cruiser new and also it is an 06 or out of warranty. They sold me an axle at dealer cost and I paid shipping. The whole thing cost me about $145since I installed it myself. It was not that hard to do. I have owned many boats and campers through the years. None ever had an axle problem so this caught me offguard. I have hit things and bent rims and blown tires but never bent anaxle. I think those dealersor companies who claim this are blowing smoke and trying to change ownership of a manufacturing defect.

Old 09-04-2009, 09:24 AM   #18
New Camper

Thank you to those who replied to my posting. I have contacted Lippert Components Inc. and they offered to send me an axle and pay for the repair. That is customer service! CrossRoads should take lessons from their supplier. I am very satisfied with the resolution to my axle problem.
ShawnS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 11:00 AM   #19
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwebber78
My 2009 had 2 bad axles and they were replaced. I can not say enough bad things about Lippert's QC.
You can not say anything bad about something that does not exist. Lippert does not have a quality control department. They just build and ship. It does not appear there are any inspections of their products. I purchased a 2010 Cruiser 26RK. When I was setting my brake controller the left front brake would lock with 3 volts from my P3. I pulled the brake drum and found it full of grease. I talked to the dealer and he said they would have to be the ones to do the original tear down. The dealer is 40 miles from me. With diesel cost now I decided to just bite the bullet and replace the brakes and back plate. Cost me $50.00. The next test the right rear would lock long before the others. I took it to the dealer and told him I wanted my brakes fixed. They told me all the found was some grease on the right rear. They said they cleaned things and repacked the bearings. You can not clean grease off of a brake shoe. The brakes are trash after they are grease soaked. I called Lippert and they said they could not help me. They had not received a claim form the dealer. So I bite the bullet again and removed all of the brake drums. Had to replace the brakes and back plate on the right rear. The right front drum showed that the brakes had been chattering. I had the local brake shop turn the drum. They told me it was out of concentric by about 20 thousands. The grease Lippert had used was very thin and had a lot of free oil in it. I suspect when they assembled the drum assembly they got some of the grease on the wrong side of the grease seal. The grease would flow much like heavy gear lube. I am out about $150 in parts and three days of my time to get my brakes where I think they may be safe. My next trailer will not have anything made by Lippert on it.
rcflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 08:20 AM   #20
New Camper

Join the club...150 miles on new 07 30SK...50 miles from home the tires on the rear axle were so bent out the dealer was surprised we made it home!

Entire axle replaced!

Had later issues with another Lippert product...see post about slide motors!

cdlove1956 is offline   Reply With Quote