Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-29-2012, 09:51 AM   #1
BWH
New Camper

Hello: I'm a new to RVing, so I'm hoping one of you who has been around a while might have an answer or opinion of what's happening or have had the same happen to you.

I bought a new2011 27RLX CTX Cruiser and pulled it off the lot in May of 2011. A few weeks ago I noticed that the curb-side tread on my rear curbside tire was smooth. The other treads on the tire looked factory, brand new. The other three tires are in great condition as well. It's just the one tread on the one tire. The tires are factory original, 5,000 miles. They are Mastertrack ST225/R15s.

Tire pressure has always been 70 PSI. I check the tires when the are cold and the pressure has always been 68-70 PSI. The trailer has not been over-loaded. I've not hit anything with it, driving or bumped over anything. There's no bent rim, no scalloping or anything else on any of the tires or tire treads. Just one smooth curbside tread on the read curbside tire.

The dealer is at a loss. He's checked the axle, wheel, and hub assembly and cannot figure out why the tire has done what it's done. He has made an appointment for me at the factory and we're towing it down there in late October. The factory says that they will have Lippert there to inspect the axle assembly and hub to see if it out of spec.

Anyone have any ideas or opinions? And -- if Lippert determines it's something they're responsible for--who buys the replacement tire? Any advice? Anyone had experiences getting tires replaced if it's an axle or hub or assembly problem?

Thanks -- BWH

BWH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 10:01 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to mwebber78

We had both our axles replaced on our Cruiser. obvious defective axles. One side had a tire clearly pointing in and the other side was just as bad. We took a 3' level, held it against the two wheels and you could clearly see one tire was aimed inward.
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 11:37 AM   #3
Family Vacation Member

Same thing happened on my 06 model. The previous owner had never towed it more than 25 miles in the first two years so when we bought it and hit the road the inside tread on the left back axle scuffed all the tread off in only 3 or 4 hundred miles. The axle was bent, very common problem. Crossroads cut me a deal on a new one at dealer cost if I paid shipping. I installed it myself in a few hours, bought a new tire and problem was solved. You read about things like this all the time on this and other forums.
Pull Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 01:01 PM   #4
New Camper

I'm so proud to see nothing has changed since 2004. I also received 2 new axles, 4 new tires, and still had to have both new axles "fixed" by a big truck alignment shop.

kaiserrw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 11:24 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

Yes, there is one thing you can bet on with Lippert running gear - issues.
Old 09-30-2012, 03:05 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

I was one of the luckey ones bought our 5er new and had a tire wear off on the inside. Dealer got ahold of Crossroads for weatherchecked tires all 5 were replaced. no more problems with odd wear.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 03:15 AM   #7
BWH
New Camper

Thanks for the reply. Were you under warranty? Did you get tire(s) covered without cost to you? The Crossroads people said I should STRONGLY request a new tire from Lippert. I'm wondering why me versus Crossroads should be strongly requesting???
Old 09-30-2012, 03:17 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

Tell them to request for you. Crossroads installs the components, they chose Lippert over other brands - they can STRONGLY request a new tire for you.....

Old 09-30-2012, 03:22 AM   #9
BWH
New Camper

Will do! It's good to read that others have had similar situations and gotten replacement tires. It befuddled me a bit when Crossroads said that I would have to request new tire versus them.

Another question, Mike - if you know. If they replace one tire what happens wear-wise to it or the other three? I know I always replace all 4 (or at least front or back two) on my car. Do you need to do this on 5ers?
Old 09-30-2012, 03:27 AM   #10
Full Time Camper

No they should wear fine -my replacementwas the door side rear tire. I took the unit across the country with no adverse affects.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:47 PM   #11
Seasonal Camper

What makes the axle bad?Curious. Mine is a 05 and always have run true. Last year i replaced my 6 year old tires with new ones just from weather checking. The tread still looked new. Just wondering so i can keep an eye out.

2005 Cruiser

2001 F250 7.3

danskool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 01:09 AM   #12
Full Time Camper

Abnormal cupping, wearing to one side, feathering, etc.

Mine were so bad from the factory that a straight edge or 3' level held in line with the tire showed the other to be out of position.
Old 10-02-2012, 02:28 AM   #13
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by danskool
What makes the axle bad?Curious. Mine is a 05 and always have run true. Last year i replaced my 6 year old tires with new ones just from weather checking. The tread still looked new. Just wondering so i can keep an eye out.
Interstate 40 Eastbound in Arizona will do the trick.
rcflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:44 AM   #14
Full Time Camper

I would get back to crossroads and tell them that you bought the camper from them not Lippert. There is no reason you have to do their work.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:06 AM   #15
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwebber78
Abnormal cupping, wearing to one side, feathering, etc.

Mine were so bad from the factory that a straight edge or 3' level held in line with the tire showed the other to be out of position.
So the axles are bent wrong? Welded wrong?

2005 Cruiser

2001 F250 7.3

danskool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:35 AM   #16
Full Time Camper

On mine, spindles had run-out - as if bent.
Old 10-07-2012, 02:31 AM   #17
New Camper

"What makes the axle bad?Curious."
My first set of axles had the spindles welded at incorrect angles (F-R). The 2nd set of axles had 1 spindle welded incorrect and one axle tube with incorrect bend angle (which puts both spindles at incorrect angle to the road). Although I paid the big truck alignment shop to fix the issues, it was interesting to watch the corrective procedures, plus it was another "learning experience".
The place also built race car transporters using laser equip to align axles, etc. Their contention was that the RV industry uses axle specs that leave little room for weight variances; with some just being flat undersized. I personally have no expertise to refute or substantiate that hypothesis.

kaiserrw1 is offline   Reply With Quote