Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-14-2023, 03:43 PM   #1
New Camper

Battery cables 09 Cruiser CF30 SK

I have an 09 Cruiser CF 30 SK with a new converter, but am having power problems. Converter and battery are new, but not sure converter is kicking on. I have to keep a charger on my battery. I have a new deep cycle battery, but not sure cables are hooked up correctly. I have 2 thick cables - a white one that I have hooked to negative and a black one that is hooked up to positive. There are 2 smaller cables, red and black, that I am not sure what terminals they hook up to. Any thoughts? Also, someone has mentioned battery breakers that need to be checked. Does anyone know where these would be located? Any thing else I need to check for battery power or converter to kick on? Tahnks fo the thoughts.
Old 02-14-2023, 04:23 PM   #2
Site Team

Typically RV battery connections are Black + and White - . One quick test is to disconnect the battery and turn on a light. If it comes on the converter is wired correctly but still does not mean it is good. If you have nothing than make sure the 110 breaker for the converter is on.

Is your converter located inside the power center where the breakers and fuses are or a deck mount?

Did you possibly/Accidently connect the battery wires backwards for even a second as that would blow the converter fuse.

One other thing make sure the shore power is on.

Let us know what you find.
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2023, 09:41 AM   #3
New Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagst1 View Post
Typically RV battery connections are Black + and White - . One quick test is to disconnect the battery and turn on a light. If it comes on the converter is wired correctly but still does not mean it is good. If you have nothing than make sure the 110 breaker for the converter is on.

Is your converter located inside the power center where the breakers and fuses are or a deck mount?

Did you possibly/Accidently connect the battery wires backwards for even a second as that would blow the converter fuse.

One other thing make sure the shore power is on.

Let us know what you find.
I understand the black- and white+, but I am asking about the 2 smaller wires - black and red?? My converter is in the power center. Where would the 110 breaker be located?
Old 02-16-2023, 09:54 AM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Closer View Post
I understand the black- and white+, but I am asking about the 2 smaller wires - black and red?? My converter is in the power center. Where would the 110 breaker be located?
You have that backwards. Black + white -.

Red + Black - only on that one. Without seeing it it is probably for your front jacks/ Landing gear. There should be a inline fuse in the red line.

The breaker is in your power center with the other breakers and fuse panel and should be labeled converter.
Old 02-19-2023, 04:41 PM   #5
Weekend Camper

My advice is get a qualified RV Repair person or electrician that can troubleshoot your problem on your RV. Trying to troubleshoot via a bunch of people on this Forum could cost you dearly in the long run especially if down the road you have a fire. Electricity should not be left to amateurs.
dlakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2023, 05:46 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlakeman View Post
My advice is get a qualified RV Repair person or electrician that can troubleshoot your problem on your RV. Trying to troubleshoot via a bunch of people on this Forum could cost you dearly in the long run especially if down the road you have a fire. Electricity should not be left to amateurs.
Some people come here to ask before they take it to a dealer and wait for extended periods of time to get it looked at.

I guess since I am the only one responding your remarks are directed for me. The question he asked is a basic one that owners who do there own repairs would be capable of preforming with just a basic meter. I am the first one to tell anyone "If you are not comfortable doing said repairs take it to a shop" My background is not in electrical repair. But as a owner of these things for over 40+ years and doing my own maintenance I have acquired a pretty good knowledge base for the maintenance and upkeep of my campers.

Obviously if the OP or ANYONE asking a question does not comfortable with the answers / suggested repair they should not attempt it. Most if not all my troubleshooting comes from my own experience. Expert no. Just experienced with a little common sense.

So I will leave this here. IF YOU ASK A QUESTION AND ARE NOT COMFORTABLE IN YOUR ABILITY/KNOWLEDGE TO DO THE TESTS/REPAIRS SUGGESTED THAN DO NOT ATTEMPT IT!!!!
Old 02-19-2023, 06:22 PM   #7
Site Team

Very good response/answer Dan.
Myself, I think your answer to the op was straight forth. Anybody that does their own repairs on these rigs, over time will acquire the vary basic knowledge needed to perform their own work.

As far as getting a qualified RV repair person, it's usually easier said than done.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2023, 08:00 PM   #8
Family Vacation Member

Well said Dagst1. This forum is used as sounding board for anyone with a trailer problem/situation. We have all been in that place at some time. If the information you receive helps and you have the abilities to fix it great if now we all know when to call in the experts.

Now, back to the problem. The black and white cables from the battery run back to the front frame of the trailer (at least on mine they do). The white (negative) is grounded to a lug directly on the frame. The black (positive) is connected to a an Auto Re-set breaker located under a plastic shield on the frame. Under this shield there are connections for the wiring coming from inside the trailer.

The black battery cable supplies power which goes through the Auto Re-set breaker which also supplies power to two further Auto Re-set breakers. This is done via jumper cable/wire to each. They are screwed onto a threaded pole on each of the breaker. The wires that come from the trailer are attached to the other poles on the breaker and supply the battery power to any of the 12vDc items inside the trailer when there is no shore power hooked up.

I am not sure of where the other black and red wires are coming from. Are they also attached to battery itself? Are they both from the Positive + terminal? Or are they wires coming from the trailer connection.

A little more information/picture is needed to be able to identify these wires. They may have been an owner install to run some add on electric powered device.

I have done some wiring in this part of the trailer and it can get a bit frustrating at times. I was lucky (if you can call it that) in that I was replacing the coroplast underbelly and could follow all the wires from the source back to the target. There are a hell of a mess of wires in that trailer and looked like they had just thrown them in.

Good luck
Old 02-19-2023, 08:22 PM   #9
Site Team

On my 5th wheel the smaller Red+ and Black- are for the landing gear/front jacks. There is a inline fuse in the red wire and it connects directly to the battery side of the first circuit breaker along with the battery + wire from the battery