Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-23-2012, 02:53 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Would like to attach a bicycle rack to our 2011 Cruiser Patriot 325ck. Checked with the factory, and they say a bumper-mount bike rack will void the warranty because it will stress the bumper beyond specs.

What do the rest of you do in terms of attaching bike racks, and have you had (or do you know of anyone who's) broken/bent their bumper as a result of attaching a rack?

I don't particularly want to void the warranty. Nor do I particularly want to have the bumper break and spill a couple of bikes into the highway, where they could bounce off a few other vehicles.

and Aggie the Gordon setter

Twin Cities

2011 Cruiser Patriot 325CK

2011 Ram 2500 diesel
dbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 06:16 AM   #2
Seasonal Camper

I carried 4 bikes and a spare tireon my bumper for 10 years

Dad carried 2 bikes and a spare tire on his bumper 12 years.

We both don't carry bikes anymore, No need for them and didn't use them anymore.

If your dealer said "NO" "VOID WARRENTTEE" Then i wouldn't do it. I would look for other options, like on the front of the tow vehicle or up on the 5th wheelpin box. But that might void warrentee. On the front of the camper. See some pretty good idea's there.

That is just my opionion. I would also like to seepositive proof that just a u-bolted bike rack ripped off a bumper other than just claims.

Here is what mine entailed, I was getting ready to strap up before a trip.

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/e...bumphitch3.jpg

2005 Cruiser

2001 F250 7.3

danskool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 12:07 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

Posted this before. From experience of 28 years of camping I wouldn't carry anything on the bumper at all. Yes I speak from been there done that. Not fun; bad memories, it will come off. So, since then I've learned.I had a 2" reciever mounted to the frame on the back of my last unit and my new 2011 unit that I bought last September. I had 3/4" steel welded to the frame and extended down on each side and then had a heavy 2" square steel tubing welded acrosson eachend to the extended steel. Then the 2" reciever welded to that coming out just under the bumper. Ok, nowsome willsay it will void the frame warranty. I've had mine in for warranty work and have ask about this claim and noone has said it will void the frame warranty. Even if it did I would still put the 2" reciever on because I bought mine to use and that is what I do. I can carry anything I need back there. Here is pictures of a modification I made of a carrier that allows me to carry mybeach fishing cart or another carrierabove the regular carrier on the back of the 5th wheel.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 03:48 AM   #4
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa-T
Posted this before. From experience of 28 years of camping I wouldn't carry anything on the bumper at all. Yes I speak from been there done that. Not fun; bad memories, it will come off. So, since then I've learned.I had a 2" reciever mounted to the frame on the back of my last unit and my new 2011 unit that I bought last September. I had 3/4" steel welded to the frame and extended down on each side and then had a heavy 2" square steel tubing welded acrosson eachend to the extended steel. Then the 2" reciever welded to that coming out just under the bumper. Ok, nowsome willsay it will void the frame warranty. I've had mine in for warranty work and have ask about this claim and noone has said it will void the frame warranty. Even if it did I would still put the 2" reciever on because I bought mine to use and that is what I do. I can carry anything I need back there. Here is pictures of a modification I made of a carrier that allows me to carry mybeach fishing cart or another carrierabove the regular carrier on the back of the 5th wheel.

</span>
I like your carrier and agree it's much much better than carrying on bumper.

If I wanted to make a setup like yours I'd do it regardless of the warranty. However, I spoke directly with Lippert when I needed to weld to the frame to raise my trailer 2". They specifically said unless their technicians did the welding it would void the warranty. As bad as their frames are I just didn't want to take the chance myself.

As far as carrying bikes, I do something that works for me but probably not for others. I wanted a folding table so it could be moved around. I removed the free standing table. When carrying my bikes, I fold up the table and turn upside down, remove the bike's front wheel (quick disconnect) and carry the bike on the table. I built some brackets for the front bike fork and it rides very steady.

It takes me about 5 minutes to do the whole job and my 2 bikes are inside, out of the weather and safe from theft. Worth the time considering what I paid for the 2 bikes.

pulpwood007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 06:40 AM   #5
Weekend Camper

I had a bike rack attached to the bumper of a 2002 Dutchman, and half way between Michigan and Maine, I almost lost my bikes when the bumper metal fatigued and the bike rack was dragging on the ground. The metal on my Crusier is the same gage, so I would not mount a bike rack unless I reinforced the mounting points.

2008 GMC 2500HD Duramax

2009 Cruiser 30SK Patriot

jererp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 07:49 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

Don't you just like you try to improve on Lippert's cheap work and they tell it will void warrenty. I asked if I could have a certified welder put me a hitch on the back for me and they told me the same story.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 11:49 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

HeyLippert; like everyone else will use whatever possible to get away froma warranty.

I agree with the above. I had my carrier and bikes dragging different times before I finally said enough is enough. I just fix mine how I need it and take the responsibility of repairs later. I know mines not going anywhere now. Hell, the frame may fall out from under the unit; but I bet my hitch will still be attached. LOL

It's a tough decision to make for someone when they start talking about warranty issues. To each is own. Good luck debuster with what you decide.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 01:55 PM   #8
Seasonal Camper

We had a major breakin our rearbumper carry a bike rack, thought that it would be alright to carry bikes the bumper is sound never told any differneteither.Our cruiser is a 2004 and the bumper was not welded to the mainframe where it should have been. So traveling down 80/90 cars were coming up along side of us telling us to pull over. Something was wrong OMG in rush hour we pulled over and my bike tire had beendragging on the road, (we always carry two bikes)So hubby took the bikes/rack off and found the bumper was hanging by a thread. so he had to finshpulling the bumper off shoved it into the trailer. bikes in the back of the truck. God was with us on that day it could have caused an awful accident. so when we got home we had to take the trailer into a weld shop where they re welded the bumper on to the main frame making it so we could carry a bike rack on it!!! Haven't had a problem since. I do know tha the new models have this welded bumper witha hitch attchment for bike racks.
Tuscany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 02:41 PM   #9
Full Time Camper

What about a front mount bike rack for your TV?

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 03:25 AM   #10
Seasonal Camper

A front mount wouldn't work,and our LP tanks areplace in the front of thetravel trailer.
Old 08-31-2012, 11:37 AM   #11
Family Vacation Member

just ordered a 2 inch front mountreceiver hitch for my tow vechicle after reading this thread,will be returning my bolt on bumper hitch to camping world,,thanks for the heads up on warranty

2011 cf285rl patriot cruiser

07 dodge cummings
joescuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 11:10 PM   #12
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joescuba

just ordered a 2 inch front mountreceiver hitch for my tow vechicle after reading this thread,will be returning my bolt on bumper hitch to camping world,,thanks for the heads up on warranty

I have been hauling two mountain bikes on a bolt to bumper receiver for two years. Now and several thousand miles absolutely no problem . I do have the receiver from our PP but installing on this unit will take some time that I did not have in Dec wheN we took delivery. When I get all
Myself back together I may Try it again but no hurry as what I am doing is fine.I was told the bumper was capable of150 lbs and the bikes including the rack do not hit 100 just in the early 90s so good to go. Everyone is talking about welding ,why not bolt it on as I did on the PP JMHO jb
Old 09-01-2012, 12:20 AM   #13
Seasonal Camper

My home made bolt on bike carrier has carried bikes for many years. It has even on the previous RV i had.

No pictures of those bumper problems? I would have been all over the camera pictures if my bumper fell off. My dad's truck just got rear ended. with in 5 minutes he text me 2 pictures. I would like to see the bike rack with bikes and a busted bumper welds to analyze. There is not one to be found.

Edited by: danskool

2005 Cruiser

2001 F250 7.3

Old 09-01-2012, 12:52 AM   #14
Seasonal Camper

I can tell you what happended to us and we were Lucky no one killed in the moment. So for us we did what we needed too! Our highway systems in and around Chicago are like wash boards so when you are traveling with this rack in the back with two bikesand it's bounching up and down severaltimes a year it can do damage to the bumper if not welded correctly to the main frame. Remember our travel is an 04 that meant we traveled a few years with the bikes on the back until the bumper gave way!!!. Safe Travels with your bike racks!
Old 09-01-2012, 12:54 AM   #15
Seasonal Camper

No pictures we were in shock at the moment and didn't think about it. However if your at the Rally next year in July we'll be site # 28 you can then see our bumper that is if we don't up grade to a 5th by then!!!
Old 09-04-2012, 01:47 AM   #16
Seasonal Camper

Don't get me wrong, I don't doubt you had issues as you say. I had a bumper start to seperate on the back of my c-motorhome. While i was standing on it washing windows. Never had a bike rack on that. I was more pointing to the fact that there is 1,000's of campers on the road at any given time, With bikes. And if it was a huge problem there would be data and pictures everyehwere from over the years of cheap bumpers. My dealer sold me my first bike rack and said to keep it under 200 lbs! But it was chintzy bike rack.

Like Chinese tires. On the net everywhere, Bad, Blow out, Pictures. My orginal set of chinese tires lasted from new untill last year, *seen some weather checking" 6 years old. Decided to get new tires. Replaced with same make Chinese tires. I never had issues. Knock on wood and now i maybesorry i said that. But i don't believe in "carma" so it don't bother me saying that.

Last year we stopped carring bikes, I hauled them everywhere and never used them, So i just stopped carrying them. Was thinking on welding on 1/4" plates under the connections on each side to support the joint, Even though i don't carry bikes anymore, The camper is getting older and i don't need the bumper falling off on its own when i stand on it to clean windows or if i get into a rough part of road, It is getting rusty inside

2005 Cruiser

2001 F250 7.3

Old 09-04-2012, 03:09 AM   #17
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danskool

Don't get me wrong, I don't doubt you had issues as you say. I had a bumper start to seperate on the back of my c-motorhome. While i was standing on it washing windows. Never had a bike rack on that. I was more pointing to the fact that there is 1,000's of campers on the road at any given time, With bikes. And if it was a huge problem there would be data and pictures everyehwere from over the years of cheap bumpers. My dealer sold me my first bike rack and said to keep it under 200 lbs! But it was chintzy bike rack.

Like Chinese tires. On the net everywhere, Bad, Blow out, Pictures. My orginal set of chinese tires lasted from new untill last year, *seen some weather checking" 6 years old. Decided to get new tires. Replaced with same make Chinese tires. I never had issues. Knock on wood and now i maybesorry i said that. But i don't believe in "carma" so it don't bother me saying that.

Last year we stopped carring bikes, I hauled them everywhere and never used them, So i just stopped carrying them. Was thinking on welding on 1/4" plates under the connections on each side to support the joint, Even though i don't carry bikes anymore, The camper is getting older and i don't need the bumper falling off on its own when i stand on it to clean windows or if i get into a rough part of road, It is getting rusty inside

I use. The same mount but mounted on top to give me more clearance with steep driveway approach.
I too did exactly as you did on tires just about 6 years good service so I bought the same again and now am going on three years on this set , also about 3 thousand mi.per yer approx!jmho Jb
Old 09-04-2012, 04:02 AM   #18
Weekend Camper

Here is your pic:
http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fu...pging/1/page/1
Schabtod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 06:45 AM   #19
Seasonal Camper

I knew i was going to get that thread back.. He didn't have a bike rack. I got this thread presented to me before. He had on a cargo tray and the tray was secured on both ends. putting more stress on the welds from the bumper not being able to flex.. The bumper needs to flex naturally with the camper frame rails, With the flex of the bumperthe strain isn't on the welds as much. As you strengthen the bumper taking away the flex, The weld jointssee more stress and that is when pealing starts to happen. 2 place bike racks or in my case 4,don't strengthen the bumper or take away the flex, it allows the bumper to flex still.. Put the bike rack on and jump on the bike rack watching the bumper. You can clearly see the flex.. If you get rid of that flexby welding on cargo tray's on both ends, You will be asking for trouble.. Edited by: danskool

2005 Cruiser

2001 F250 7.3

Old 09-04-2012, 07:46 AM   #20
Weekend Camper

I will try to explain the phenomena that caused my bumper to fall off. It is not a load issue as much as cyclic fatigue of the parent metal adjacent to the weld. If you stand on top of the bumper, you will see that it is relatively stiff. Put your bike rack in that bolt-on receiver, ( Without thinking, I centered mine, creating maximum twist ) and then pull down on it with an equal load, and you will see the entire bumper twist. As you go down the road, each time you hit a bump or expansion strip, a load is applied, ( weight X length of lever) and the bumper twists. Fatigue is what happens when you take a paper clip or clothes hanger wire and bend it back and forth until it breaks. The same thing will happen to the bumper where it is attached to the frame (it may take 100,000 cycles or more, but that accumulates faster than you think). The solution is to come up with a mounting scheme that prevents the twisting. For me it was welding on a new bumper with a much heavier wall, eliminating twisting. Hope this helps everyone understand better what will happen. Mine broke after around 1500 mi.

2008 GMC 2500HD Duramax

2009 Cruiser 30SK Patriot

jererp is offline   Reply With Quote