Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-25-2015, 01:15 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Black Water Flush Port Leaking

Help! Came home at lunchtime and saw a puddle under my RV. Opened the cargo door and there is smelly water dripping out of the black water flush port. Just did a complete gray/black water dump a few days ago w/no issues. Anyone else have this problem?
DJindrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 08:34 PM   #2
Seasonal Camper

Did you flush it then as well? How full is the black tank at the moment?
2015 ST270BH
https://burgpath.us/photos/index.php?cat=13
Burgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 06:14 AM   #3
Weekend Camper

Sure did and no issues. Sensor on black tank has read "Full" since day 1 so we ignore it and dump our tanks weekly. Only tank that's ever been full is the galley tank for the kitchen. DW has been dumping dishwater down the toilet so our galley tank doesn't fill up so fast so maybe the sensor is finally right. Took a flashlight to look down the toilet and I can see soap bubbles. Will dump all tanks this morning.

One thing I did do is install a backflow valve on fitting for flush port. No more leaking.

What I'm learning here is that the obvious answer is usually the right one.
Old 09-26-2015, 06:28 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

On our last trailer, a Jayco, my husband used to fill the black tank completely several times at home in an effort to clean it (no backflush on that unit). Then the tank started leaking into the covering under the trailer. We took it to the shop and apparently the pipe going from the toilet did not line up completely with the tank and was kind of forced into position. The filling of the tank was enough pressure to break that connection. We ended up having to pay for a new black tank & installation.

Now he no longer fills the tank (different trailer now) and uses the backfluch to clean it.

As for sensors, we never use any of them. We know from experience how long we can go with all the tanks and dump accordingly.

2012 Cruiser Sahara 330SS
2015 F250 Super Duty diesel
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 07:33 AM   #5
Weekend Camper

Just bought this unit in the spring and started living in it full-time in August. No sewer connection on the lot so we have to take it to a dump site in the park. We've been doing that every few days - never more than a week - and the only issue we had was the galley tank for the kitchen sink filling up too fast so DW started dumping the dishwater down the toilet. Never been an issue until now.

I'll be glad when we're down south where all connections are on each lot.
Old 09-26-2015, 08:10 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

We have gone up to a week (at a festival) without dumping anything. This is how we do it. I wash my hair into a pail. I dump that into the port-a-potties provided at the festival. My pail has a lid for easy transport. I use a basin in the sink and do the same.

Another way to save water in the galley is to do dishes only once a day and not fill the sink up too full.

I also dump extra water into the black tank, but not as much as you do, because I never fill it up.

There are also portable waste tanks you can buy to dump the grey water. You dump the grey into the portable tank and take it to the dump station. A lot of people use this method.

Old 09-26-2015, 08:40 AM   #7
Weekend Camper

Good suggestions all...we're learning to adapt. Like showering in the public restroom in the park - okay, me rather than DW. Will have to talk her into doing dishes once a day. She already likes the idea of having a portable tank for gray water.

Thanks!

Dave & Pam
Old 09-26-2015, 08:44 AM   #8
Weekend Camper

There is a check valve incorporated in the hose fitting where you hook up the flush hose. It is either dirty or failed. It is an easy fix if you can get to it. On my 08 Cruiser 30 SK I can remove the screws on the fitting on the panel side and simply pull the hose going to the tank out enough to disconnect the hose and replace the check valve/hose fitting as a unit. Looks like you have the same trailer. I've not had to replace the flush one but I had to replace shore water check valve. right next to it. These fittings are identical. I replace mine with a brass type rather than plastic which it came with. Note: You can also pull the panel on the left side of the valve panel and see everything back there. Good luck.
08 cruiser 30SK 5er, solid surface counter tops, 400 watt solar system, 6k axles, dexter never adjust brakes, 16" LTs draging a hyde drift boat behind an 08 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4X4, Duramax-Ally, CCLB.
dbflyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 08:48 AM   #9
Full Time Camper

I think the tank was full and leaking out of the hose connection. I have seen this on my PP as well and tank level lights hardly work as well. The only thing I can think of is putting a cap on the hose connection and that should give you a little more room to fill. It is hard to keep in mind how much water you are using when not connected to sewer. I also carry a 5 gal bucket to lower the tanks if needed.
Old 09-26-2015, 09:16 AM   #10
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJindrich View Post
Good suggestions all...we're learning to adapt. Like showering in the public restroom in the park - okay, me rather than DW. Will have to talk her into doing dishes once a day. She already likes the idea of having a portable tank for gray water.

Thanks!

Dave & Pam
When we go a week without dumping at a festival, we do shower in our own trailer. You can save water in the shower by soaping yourself with the water off, then rinsing. It doesn't take a lot of water. Washing my hair does, which is why I take it out in a pail (I have long hair).

Unfortunately, those portable dumping tanks can be a bit pricey. We have one but have not used it in years as we can go a week without dumping. Maybe you can find a cheaper used one online.