Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-09-2011, 01:09 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

I have a 2007 30SK and currently the brake lights and turn signal lights are not working. The tail lights do work. I have had the truck checked out and the plug is working on the truck. I seem to have power at the plug end of the fifth wheelas well. I have replaced the bulbs. Question: Is there a fuse someplace for the turn lights and the brake lights on thefifth wheelI need to check?

Second RV is a 2001 Sierra 30BHS fifth wheel currently parked at property on Lake Athens, TX.

MKOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 03:24 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

Check the sockets first

Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 09:24 AM   #3
Family Vacation Member

If all else fails, check the ground on the trailer to the truck.Grounds are always the problem for me.Take a ohm meter and make sure that the grounds make it from frame to plug on both sides. With a bad ground the 12v takes the least path of resistance to any bulb.Do your turn signals go dim for the wrong side flash or all lights go out when you put the brake on? All these can be caused by bad ground.Good luck

2009 Cruiser 29RK
FB1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 09:27 AM   #4
Family Vacation Member

Forgot, but there are several fuses on your truck that the manual should tell you where they are located.

2009 Cruiser 29RK
FB1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 10:53 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

I have the same rig and do not know of any fuses. There is a major connection box inside the pinbox. Have you checked for bad connections there? There is also a panel in the upper right corner of the rear wall cabinets (above the recliner) I have not opened that panel, but always figured there was some wiring in there to the rear tail lights. Keep us posted.

Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 09:35 PM   #6
Weekend Camper

Thanks for the responses! Truck fuses are all good as is the truck plug. I had these checked at the dealer. I don't think it is a ground problem because there is no dimming of the lights and the wrong side doesn't flash, but I'll check. I saw the box on the pin box so I will check that. I have never seen the panel box in the back cabinet so I need to look for that. I have checked the sockets and even replaced the bulbs, all to no avail. I'll keep y'all posted and thanks for the ideas.

Second RV is a 2001 Sierra 30BHS fifth wheel currently parked at property on Lake Athens, TX.

Old 03-09-2011, 11:59 PM   #7
Seasonal Camper

I hate to repeat but it sounds like fuses in the truck. If you have a GM truck there are seperate fuses for the trailer. Need to know what truck and year you have to help you on fuses. I do not have much faith with dealers. And is this the trailer dealer or the truck dealer? Most trailer dealershave no clue when it comes to many of the trucks.
rcflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 02:40 AM   #8
Weekend Camper

It is a '99 Ford F250 dieseltruck and all the fuses have been replaced, not just checked, but replaced. This includes the fuse box under the dash to the left of the steering column as well as the fuse box under the hood on the drivers side. Replaced at the Ford dealer, not the RV dealer. I'm pretty sure the issue is not with the truck.

Old 03-10-2011, 01:08 PM   #9
Seasonal Camper

Use a voltmeter or a continuity checker to confirm that you have an intermittent 12 Volts at the pin for the left or right turn signal when they are flashing. Do the same with the brake light pin when someone steps on the brake. If you have that at the plug going to the trailer then it CAN"T be an issue with the truck. You should then be able to follow the wiring diagram (I assume Crossroads provides one) and figure out where you are loosing power.

Dodge 3500, 2011 CF305SKP
CygnusSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 10:56 PM   #10
Weekend Camper

To rule out the truck completely go and plug into another trailer...either a friends or at a rv dealer's lot (with permission of course). At least this way you can focus on one or the other. It's got to be something simple if all the lights are out.

2006 GMC 2500HD CC D/A LBZ

Sold 2002 Chevy 2500HD CC 8.1 3.73

B&W Turnover Ball Hitch with Companion
jgerni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 02:43 PM   #11
Family Vacation Member

The same thing happened to our 32BL and it was the trailer connector that was bad. The one from the factory is molded on to the wire harness so I went to the Rv store and bought a replacement connector and cut the old one off.
malojeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 10:58 PM   #12
Weekend Camper

Thanks to all of you who heped me out. Found out the problem was with the sockets the taillight bulbs plug into. They had become rusted and so no connection was being made to the bulb itself. Took a battery terminal cleaner and cleaned them out, installed new bulbs as the old ones were rusted as well, and everything works correctly now. I made sure to seal the lens caps with some silicon to keep the water out.

Thanks again for all the suggestions! Awesome people!!!

Old 03-25-2011, 05:43 AM   #13
Weekend Camper

You would like a set of LED fixtures. See Command Electronics. There are kits to replace the internals. You get inherent waterproffness, almost unlimited bulb life, low energy consumptionand a much brighter tailight for better safety. What's not to like? This one was a no brainer and eliminates your problem.
Old 03-25-2011, 08:08 AM   #14
Full Time Camper

x2 on the Command Electronics tail light replacements...good people , great product!...

06 F350 KR PS CC SRW

...Wish we were camping...
cowboy_71 is offline   Reply With Quote