Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-12-2010, 11:27 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

I have a 2010 30SK, has anybody had any problems with the brakes? I have a2010 Ford w/ the factory installed brake controller. I had to crank it up to 9 when I first started towing the fiver for the brakes to grab, now the brakes are barely grabbing. I looked underneath the fiver but have not noticed any brake adjustment. Just wanted to get some imput before pulling the wheels and hubs off so I can inspect.
outback_06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 12:59 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

Brakes may need adjusting. I have mine set on 5. Works good.
2010 CF30SK Patriot
2007 CF30SK
dalemac377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 01:36 AM   #3
Family Vacation Member

Fist make sure that your trailer brakes are being actuated by the controller. Simply have you or someone else listen as you manually activate the brake controller. Use the controller not the brake pedal as you can apply full voltage. After that's confirmed that you hear the trailer brakes clicking then you have manually adjust each wheel on the trailer. Simple to do, same as adjusting brakes on any vehicle with drum type brakes.

I believe there's a thread somewhere here with step by step procedures. If not the internet is a wonderfulplace to find information.

Here's another example of things to check when doing the PDI on any RV purchase. This unit should not have left the saleslot without properly adjusted brakes!!

'06 F-250 SD V-10

SCT custom tuned

https://i785.photobucket.com/albums/y...a/SDC12617.jpg
ryeja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 03:50 AM   #4
Weekend Camper

My Cruiser dealer told me to do the following and it worked for me. Find a straight stretch of road and get your speed up to 25 mph. Then start appling the brake steady but not hard. The controller should then set itself automaticly. Mine set at 7 gain and I have had no problems. I do check it though before each trip.
Old 04-13-2010, 08:03 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

I also have the Ford Factory installed BC and depending how loaded the trailer is, will depend on what level feels most comfortable to me. I have never need to go over 5.5. Have you confirmed the brakes have power? I would apply the brakes and a buzzing noise should be heard from the wheel area of the trailer, if not maybe a problem. Also can you pull the break away switch and get your brakes to activate?

'07 F250 Diesel Crew Cab 4x4

'08 CF30QB

Reese Signature Slider 18k Hitch
salda01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 03:28 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

If you get to checking voltages at the wheel use a analog voltmeter. I know the newer GM products with the factory brake controller, the output is a pulsating signal. My digital voltmeter will not read it because it is pulsating. When I check the voltage with my analog meter, the needle shows the pulsating signal. Not sure if the Fords and Dodges work the same way.
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 01:13 PM   #7
Weekend Camper

Thanks everybody for the advice on the brakes. I did finally look on the Lipperts web site and they showed how to adjust the brakes. They also mentioned on their site about a brake in period for the brakes and magnets. I am sure that who ever delievered it followed the brake in period. (HA HA) I will let you know when ever I get a chance to check out the brakes and adjust it need be.
outback_06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 12:52 PM   #8
Full Time Camper

I also concur with some of the other ford owners....with my 09 I have it set around 6. Usually, the first tow after sitting a bit, I lower the number down to around 5 and warm the brakes up a bit, otherwise they tend to lock-up...especially on wet roads...

2015 Rushmore Springfield
Disc Brake upgrade, Goodyear G614 tire upgrade
RV FLEX-ARMOR roof, Mor-Ryde IS suspension

2017 F350 Dually 4x4 6.7 Bronze Fire
gossamar is offline   Reply With Quote