Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-29-2017, 12:38 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Bumper Support

I just ordered and received my rear bumper supports from mount-n-lock in Virginia. Their claim is they will increase the weight capacity of the bumper to 400 lbs if installed properly. Honestly, I just tried a dry fit and I don't see how you could install it wrong. It fits beautifully and all i have to do is clamp it into position and drill 3 3/8 inch holes and bolt it onto my frame strut. They extend under the bumper just like a hanger for a shelf. It takes all the stress off the weak welds and puts it all on the 1/4 inch steel brackets. Reviews are great and install looks to be a breeze. People are even putting generators on a carrier off the bumper and say it works fantastic. Check out the youtube video on these brackets. I paid $65 and free shipping from the company and got them in 3 days

phoneguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 08:59 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

Interesting! Do they warranty 400 lbs ?

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 11:43 AM   #3
Weekend Camper

I just finished installing them and it took about 1 hour. They are beefy brackets and now I am confident of adding a bike rack on it. I bought a quality drill bit because I had to drill 6 holes through the trailer struts. I wish I would have seen these a long time ago. All the weight is now on the brackets and none of it is on the welds.
Old 08-28-2017, 09:48 AM   #4
JWN
Weekend Camper

Welds on struts?

My bumper on my Cruiser is held on by struts (about 12 inches long) welded to the frame. The bumper is welded to these struts. These brackets are good for holding the bumper to the struts, but what about the welds that hold the struts to the frame? Just wondering??
Old 08-28-2017, 09:50 AM   #5
Site Team

Jim, can you post a picture of it?
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 02:17 PM   #6
Weekend Camper

the welds holding the struts to the frame are far superior to the welds holding the bumper to the struts. I have tested the new supports out 2 separate trips and everything was rock solid. i was skeptical too but they have worked out great
Old 08-29-2017, 04:30 PM   #7
Family Vacation Member

I added the mount and lock system to my Sunset Trail back in April. I have went on three trips since then and had two bikes on the back bumper. No issues at all. You can see my install below.

I'd recommend the mount n lock system to anyone.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5281.jpg (147.0 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5283.jpg (166.6 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5280.jpg (179.0 KB, 24 views)
Old 08-30-2017, 11:39 AM   #8
Family Vacation Member

I have also installed and like them. The one thing everyone should consider and look at is, does your bumper tie to the frame directly (these brackets would be tits) or does your bumper tie to a intermediate I-beam. My does the latter. The I-beam to frame is fully welded, so I still have the bumper to i-beam which looks okay, but it's as good as bumper to frame. So I installed these; I view the bumper to whatever as being the weak spot.

I also decided to install a front hitch on my truck and will toss the bikes out front.