Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2011, 09:22 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Hello folks,
The saga continues. We were planning to buy a 2006 CF32BL but it fell through (there's another thread on that one). So ... we looked at another, 2008 of the same model, still quite a drive away (this weekend was nuts, to say the least). Some of the plastic covering was still on some of the appliances and

fixtures. Just like this dealer had said, it's basically a "new" 2008

set aside for a few years. So although it was a bit more than I wanted

to spend, we left a deposit on it since it was what we wanted and such a good deal (getting it for below NADA low retail). I'm going back Friday to make it final and then bring it home.
The owner is who helped me most of the time (small town dealer) and he was just great about letting me do what I wanted to check the coach out. He let me tow it across the lot to check brakes, and I was able to hook up to water and electric and spent about 2 hours checking everything out. I ended up with a small punch list for him to fix, which I expect to be completed by the time I picked it up.
I was able to confirm that it has a 10gal w/h, 8cuft fridge, but not sure if it is the 13.5k or 15k A/C. It only has one euro chair and ottoman. Equa-flex is installed, just no wet bolts. Water connection and dump valve "levers" are enclosed - accessible behind the streetside baggage door. 15" aluminum wheels (which I plan to take off anyway and use my 16" wheels with LT tires).
So some questions:
- I didn't get around to it Saturday, but I figure I can take the filter off the A/C and look for a model number to figure out the rating?
- Anyone only get one Euro chair and ottoman? Any lead on salvage yards to get a second?
- It has a Fantastic fan with a rain sensor, and what looks like a thermostat. What I read about it meant that it should have come on with a "low" setting on the tstat but maybe we had the switches wrong, or the sensor may have been wet... but we couldn't quite figure out the fan (we were able to run it some but not sure if we were just running on a manual setting).
- The slides are generally smooth in operation, but the LR slide, when bringing it in kinda "sticks" a tad (split second) and then gets going. Almost like there is double-sided tape along the wall against the interior fascia/frame. I'm not familiar with this mechanism, anyone have some comments on what is/isn't normal?
- Just to confirm, it seems like the slideout side walls are not bonded / laminated fiberglass?
- There is a "mystery" switch we can't figure out. Open the "switch" panel which covers the monitor etc. There is a triple switch with a switch for the scare lights on one end and the patio light on the other. The switch in the middle.... we can't figure out. There is no light at the steps we could find. Any clue? I'll snap a picture when I go back to get the coach.

Otherwise we are really looking forward to camping with this 5er. So much more room and features than our last (2002 Wildcat 28BH).

Thanks!

FSuperDuty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 09:27 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

Your mystery switch is for the electrical socket at the top of the awning. You plug in your patio lights there and can control the off and on by that switch. If the unit is new than I would think the dealer would have a copy of the invoice that would tell you what size the ac is. Got two chairs and Ottoman switch ours. Might be able to purchase them thru CrossRoads

Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 10:50 AM   #3
hhh
Seasonal Camper

The slides are built like the rest of the trailer, aluminum beams, fiberglass insulation and the siding attached. See the below pic of a slide being built.

'11 CF285RL Patriot - '08 GMC 3500HD D/A CC LB Dually - Yamaha Zuma 125

tgif: let's RV
hhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 10:59 AM   #4
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhh
The slides are built like the rest of the trailer, aluminum beams, fiberglass insulation and the siding attached. See the below pic of a slide being built.
Great pic. Was that one you took on a tour? Any more?
Old 08-21-2011, 11:24 AM   #5
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhenn
Your mystery switch is for the electrical socket at the top of the awning. You plug in your patio lights there and can control the off and on by that switch. If the unit is new than I would think the dealer would have a copy of the invoice that would tell you what size the ac is. Got two chairs and Ottoman switch ours. Might be able to purchase them thru CrossRoads
The mystery continues... see this image: (for some reason I can't link to this directly)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/66718450@N08/6067667116/

There's a big switch for the Awning receptacles to the left. The mystery switch in the pic is in between the labels "porch light" and "scare light."

Old 08-21-2011, 11:41 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

There are two scare lights on this unit each have their own switch

Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
Old 08-21-2011, 11:47 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

The awning switch is for the outlets by the door up by the awning. In case you want to put lights on the awning. And if you do want lights, Frank has a whole bunch and his wife would like to get more. I'm sure he could give you a string.

Chrisnan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 12:21 PM   #8
Seasonal Camper

The other scare light is on the opposite side of the RV, both my scare lights are on the front of my trailer on opposite sides, same as yours. The switch that you are questioning about controls the light that is right in front of your bedroom slide at the top of the trailer, as Frank had said it is the other scare light switch.Edited by: fixit5561

2003 Lincoln Navigator Ultimate Edition 4X4

2004 Crossroads Cruiser CT30RL
fixit5561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 12:27 PM   #9
Seasonal Camper

The fantastic fan , you have to push the knob that maually cranks the vent open. Push it straight up and it will engage the motor that will open the vent automatically (you may have to give it just a slight turn before it will engage),and turn the fan on when you put the thermostat on the colder setting, which mine is about 60 degrees if I remember correctly. Pull the knob back down to be able to open the vent maually

If it is wet, you have to wait for it to dry before it will work properly. Also make sure the switch that is up by the fan is turned on. Then you can adjust the speed of the fan using the knob that has the 1-2-3 by it.Edited by: fixit5561

2003 Lincoln Navigator Ultimate Edition 4X4

2004 Crossroads Cruiser CT30RL
fixit5561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 01:00 PM   #10
Weekend Camper

In my 2005 28BH, the 5 12 volt switches were for:
Living room overhead lighting
Entertainment center light (glass cabinet over TV)
Left scare light
Right scare light
Porch light.

Hope that helps... and good luck with the purchase.

2005 Cruiser 28BH
lmakepeace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 01:14 PM   #11
Full Time Camper

Nope can not have any of Janets lights, I have a very good marriage, and intend to keep it that way. Her wish list is down to two One being the Texas Long horn lights, and the other is Schnauzer lights. I know where I can get the first but not the second

Old 08-21-2011, 02:03 PM   #12
hhh
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSuperDuty

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhh
Great pic. Was that one you took on a tour? Any more?
More pictures from the tour here > http://www.tgifrv.com/nggallery/page...m-8/gallery-36

Edited by: hhh

'11 CF285RL Patriot - '08 GMC 3500HD D/A CC LB Dually - Yamaha Zuma 125

tgif: let's RV
hhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 02:18 PM   #13
Family Vacation Member

We have a 08 CF32BL and have not regreted the purchase. It has never been back for warranty work since we bought it. Here in Louisiana it is so hot I did install another A/C over the master bed because of the heat this week with a 20amp cord but that is another story. We love our camper and consider it the best floor plan for us. We don't have children living at home so we turned the bunkhouse into a closet and change room for people we bring with us and that has worked out perfectly.
malojeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 09:46 PM   #14
Full Time Camper

The AC size is also listed on the placard in the kitchen cabinet.

Chrisnan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 10:16 PM   #15
Weekend Camper

Wow - you guys are just the best. Thank you for all the answers ... when I go back I know what to do with the Fantastic fan, the second scare light and where to check for the A/C.

Those plant pictures are really cool too. One day I know I want to go on a tour, just a matter of when.

I can't wait to get this thing. I don't remember if I've said this in another thread, but I've had my eye on this floorplan since 06 when it came out, and each year I've thought how much more it would work for us. I'm ecstatic to finally be in a position to get one. Bunks for the kids, but still a rear living area we could enjoy just ourselves if we ever take a camping weekend alone... very nice. We're going to be spoiled.

Lesson learned here is that there just is no substitute for seeing your prospective purchase with your own two eyes and putting your hands on it. The 2006 had a ton of pictures and looked great to me, yet when I walked up to it I could immediately see the delam situation. OTOH the 2008 is nice and tight. I already lived through one delam nightmare with my 2002 Wildcat (and lived to fix it and tell about it) so I'm not about to go anywhere near anything like that.

Anyway we should pick it up either Thursday or Friday. I'll post up again when we have the keys

Old 08-22-2011, 02:18 PM   #16
Full Time Camper

Note that the thermostat fan-sta-stic fan will take about 15-30 seconds to trigger the fan. I thought I had an issue, but it was just the timing. Also, if the air temp is 70 degrees you'll need to lower the the lever to less than that.

'07 F250 Diesel Crew Cab 4x4

'08 CF30QB

Reese Signature Slider 18k Hitch
salda01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 11:56 AM   #17
Weekend Camper

We purchased a 2008 32BL from a distressed dealer in 2009. The wholesale price still hasn't reached the low price I paid. It's our second Cruiser, never been back for warranty repairs and suits us perfectly. Our two granddaughters love their own "room" and are always eager to go.
It did come with two chairs and all I've done is replace the mattress and the skimpy fan in the bathroom with a better unit.
My only problem is I can't keep it at home (won't make it up the driveway like my old 30 foot Cruiser). I actually found a car wash with a 13 foot clearance (6 inches to spare) -- of course it takes a lot of quarters and doing half of it at a time. I've never regretted buying a Crossroads product --- easy to tow and plenty of room.
Hoep it all works out for you.

Jack
finder9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 02:31 AM   #18
Weekend Camper

Thanks everyone. I go to pick it up tomorrow morning. Can't wait....

I had asked previously, maybe ya'll had missed ... is the LR slide operation normal? Sticks a tad before retracting...

2000 Audi A4 1.8T
All turbos!
Triumphguy on rv.net
Old 08-25-2011, 03:07 AM   #19
Seasonal Camper

My slides will hesitate slightly, always have, I always assumed it was a clutch type action. My unit has 3. Been working for 4 years....hope I didn't jinx it

I love my Cruiser, never had a warranty problem, would buy another in a flash.

Enjoy yours.

Check out next year's factory rallyif you can---see what's under the skin!
Tom&Denice, Carmel,Betsy, Brighton&Daisy(Rescued Cockers)YukonXL 2500 8.1 4:10 CT31GR https://i276.photobucket.com/albums/k...ofP1010009.jpg
ClassicHammond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 05:20 AM   #20
Weekend Camper

I thought I had an issue with the bedroom slide, so I watched the gear when I had it open at one time. There is a couple of inches of "play" on the all thread rod between where the mechanism "pushes" the slide out and where it "pulls" it back in. The delay comes when it travels back and forth between these two points.

Hensley, AR

'05 CF29RK,

'01 Ford F250 CrewCab
Monty is offline   Reply With Quote