Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-15-2013, 12:52 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

When we purchased our cruiser, on the walk through the tech informed us we were missing a cabinet door that covered the switches on the end of the kitchen cabinets right at the entrance door. They ordered us a new door, and it has arrived. I picked it up told dealer I would install it, instead of a 45 min one way trip to haul the 5vr to them. I don't think I am going to install it though, seems that we would always be opening and closing this door as the room area lights are also inside this area. Also afraid that someone would leave the door open and I will whack my head on it stepping into the coach. Tucked it under the bed in case we trade it in.

Has anybody else removed this door? Apparently the previous owners did LOL!
Edited by: bdwillie
2000 Ram 2500
https://i1301.photobucket.com/albums/...ps54589c14.jpg
bdwillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 02:19 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

The only switch that I really wanted easier access to was the living room lights. Having to open a door to turn on these lights was a pain especially at night. I left the door on but moved the wiring for the lights to a new box just outside the cabinet and closer to the main entry door. Much better location. The wiring in the wall was just long enough to move it about 18 inches over and down a bit to a standard height.

Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:42 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

Bob -- Was just talking about this last night. Makes you wonder if the people designing these campers actually own a camper, or just design them acording to what cost the least amount of money.

If we leave the camper and even think we will be returning after dark, we leave the light over the kitchen sink, and the porch light on.
2022 Alliance Avenue 32RLS

In God We Trust
A proud member of the one percent...Semper Fi
sleepyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 02:17 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

I guess I'm different, but I thought the little cabinet for the switches was a neat idea. I've owned several other campers that didn't have it, and it seems to me like a neat extra touch.
Valley 16K slider
Ride-Rite air bags
mike06081969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 04:19 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

I also like the cabinet that encloses the switches. It keeps everything neat and in one place.
2010 CF30SK Patriot
2007 CF30SK
dalemac377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 04:41 AM   #6
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemac377
I also like the cabinet that encloses the switches. It keeps everything neat and in one place.

I too like the organization of the cabinet but didn't like not having an inside lite switch easier to get to when arriving at night.

I added a switch box and two switcheson the wall for interior and exterior lighting by using I think 200 wiremould surface mount and switch box. I installed just to the left of the door as you enterat switch heighth so when you open the door they are just on your left so very handy and much safer than working in the dark.

I too do not understand why the design that you need to open the door and climb into the dark unit to open the cabinet and find a switch amongst many to be able to see.

After my personal modifications this is no longer a pain in the butt safety factor. JMHO jb
Old 04-16-2013, 12:56 PM   #7
Family Vacation Member

I like the cabinet also . But John is right, If you forget to leave a light on its a pain to see what switch is what. Without just blindly flipping switches till you find the right one. LOL!
Old 04-16-2013, 02:33 PM   #8
Full Time Camper

The flourescent lite above the kitchen sink has a high/low switch. We always leave it on low when we leave. That way if we come home after dark we have lite in the kitchen area when we walk in. Seems simple enough.
2010 CF30SK Patriot
2007 CF30SK
dalemac377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 11:09 PM   #9
Full Time Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to mwebber78
Not sure of the exact design you have but many brands have a cover over the utilities with a key holder, cork board, and cell phone pocket with a nearby 12v charge station. I haven't seen the interior lights hidden in these, that would get annoying after awhile.
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 04:29 AM   #10
Weekend Camper

I did not care for the switch cabinet set up as well. So, I installed three (living area lights, porch light and the right side scare light) switches that are lower and closer to the entry door.

It's nice to be able to reach these switches without or before stepping in to the 5th wheel. Oh, and by the way..... I have hit my head on that door more than once before this modification.

I believe this was the first modification I made on the Cruiser.

Robert
Huntington Beach, California
100ton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 05:59 AM   #11
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemac377
The flourescent lite above the kitchen sink has a high/low switch. We always leave it on low when we leave. That way if we come home after dark we have lite in the kitchen area when we walk in. Seems simple enough.

Dale; I understand your position but if you go away in the daylight many of us don't think to do that if you didn't know you would be so late.. I should probably teach Lexie to turn the lights on for us but until I get that done the easy reach switches make it very nice and safe too! and I don't need to overload the old memmory bank either.JMHO jb
Old 04-25-2013, 10:47 PM   #12
Weekend Camper

We like our door with the cork board cover hiding all the switches. We leave the outdoor lights on which illuminates the step as well as over the door so we don't stumble in the dark and can see to put the key in the slot. Enough light pours in when we open the door to see what we are doing to turn on the interior lights.

2008 GMC 2500HD Duramax

2009 Cruiser 30SK Patriot

jererp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 02:50 PM   #13
Full Time Camper

FWIW, my Crossroad is the first RV I have ever owned that didn't have a light switch just inside the door and easily found in the dark.
2009 Ford Lariat F350 SRW CC Diesel
2013 Cruiser CF305SK Patriot Edition
avvidclif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 04:29 AM   #14
Weekend Camper

I boondock a lot (especially while hunting), so I don't like to leave lights on that drain the battery. I added a pressure switch and a small led light behind the cabinet door so when I open it, I can see which switch to turn on.

Hensley, AR

'05 CF29RK,

'01 Ford F250 CrewCab
Monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 07:09 AM   #15
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avvidclif
FWIW, my Crossroad is the first RV I have ever owned that didn't have a light switch just inside the door and easily found in the dark.

Old 05-03-2013, 01:34 PM   #16
Weekend Camper

We have the 29RK and have a bat powered motion light right inside door against steps. As soon as you open door and step in the light comes on. Then inside panel is magnetic light which lights as soon as you open door so you can see which switch to use. Everything goes off in about 15 seconds and the light on the floor is never tripped unless you are in doorway.

29RK

06 Duramax
railroadmichael is offline   Reply With Quote