Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2020, 07:12 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Caulking and Reseal Dilemma

Hi I just purchased a beautiful 2010 Cruiser CTX. I knew that it was going to have the caulking looked at as it has sat for a while, and the sun always on one side. I took it to my Rv shop today, they do a pressure seal test and also 100% visual on all caulking and sealants. My Dilemma is that everything on the roof needs to come out and be resealed. 2 vents, sky light, kitchen and bath vents. The trailer has never had its caulking looked at, they want to remove old caulking and apply new caulking. Also front cap and rear cap seems need to be taken off and resealed. And also some windows apparently need resealing The trailer has only been used 4 times in the first 4 years and than I guess it sat but was not covered. It is in showroom condition, everything works all appliances look brand new. So do I sink another $5,000 into it and it will be like brand new. Or just let it go and let someone else repair the sealants. Remember we just bought this fifth wheel and haven't even used it yet. We love the layout and the condition it is in. It is the right size for the two of us. How often do others get their trailers in for a complete re caulking job.

Rick M
2010 Cruiser CTX
26RKX
Crossroad Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 07:29 PM   #2
Site Team

Not sure why they have to take out everything. If you are handy, you could remove the old caulk and re-caulk it yourself or with help.

Removing the windows could be tricky but I've done it in the past and resealed them.
Takes patience and some moderate effort.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 07:38 PM   #3
Site Team

Rick, I always take care of the caulking and sealant myself. It's not that hard to do. Just time consuming.
If they want $5000 to do the job---it sounds pretty expensive to me. WOW!

Caulking is something that should be looked at every year. That way you're sure to catch it before something gets away from you.

Everything on the roof could be taken care of with one, maybe two tubes of Dicor self leveling sealant. after the old sealant was scraped off and the area cleaned with Rubbing Alcohol.

As far as the front and rear caps needing to come off you should be able to seal them by going over the seam with 4 in. Eternabond tape.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 08:17 PM   #4
Weekend Camper

Thanks Lloyd Do you to use the Eternabond Tape on the seam on the roof. What about the joint on the sides where all the screws are. Why is there not a beauty strip like on other trailers to cover those screws,as some of the are rusty head but they are still very tight. I think most of the labour must be in removing old caulk which is time consuming. As for the windows My old trailers all used butylene tape and it lasted for years. This Rv shop rate is 130 an hour and they quoted me 42 hours.
Old 07-30-2020, 06:44 AM   #5
Site Team

Isn't there a channel there for that "beauty strip" to snap into? It probably shrunk up sitting there in the sun and either blew out on the road or just plain fell out. You should be able to purchase that strip if you get the measurements and check around.
Old 08-03-2020, 10:30 PM   #6
Weekend Camper

Well I have actually been strpping old caulk from the passenger side of my Cruiser. I went on the roof to check what the Rv shop told me was wrong up there. Well except for maybe a little cracking on the sealant around the fridge vent. Everything looked great. I don't know why they told me that both fen vents had to come off and remove the skylight. Also the sealant at front and rear caps was in perfect condition. I did do a little sealant on them, but I am going the eternabond tape idea. And after a long weekend here in British Columbia, I have successfully re caulked the one side of my trailer. Started at the top with the awning mounting strip and worked my way all the way down to the fender skirts. That pro flex is very user friendly. Also when I did pick my Cruiser up from the RV shop the actual estimate was $8000. Nope I don't think so. Like Lloyd said earlier very time consuming job. But it actually looks great when it is finished. Well I think I will take a little break from the drivers side as it is not as bad as passenger side. A little bit around storage doors and the bottom moulding and maybe fender skirts. The windows are all in great shape. It is amazing when the sun only gets to one side of a trailer.

Rick M
2010 Cruiser CTX 26RKX
1997 2500 Silverado
Detroit 6.5 Turbo Diesel
Langley Bc. Canada
Bc, Canada
Old 08-04-2020, 09:37 PM   #7
Family Vacation Member

Remove old caulk much easier.

I just replaced a roof vent and after watching this video discovered a pretty quick way to remove old self leveling caulk. Just be sure and keep the tool flat on the surface and it removes the caulk very easily.

" "

Best of luck.

Dustin and Doris

2018 Crossroads, Sunset Trail 33CK,
38', 7600 lbs empty, 8300 lbs loaded.
2016 Tundra: 5.7L with towing package with added "Roadmaster Active Suspension"
toolman.dustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 09:58 PM   #8
Weekend Camper

Caulking and Reseal Dilemma

Well I started this post on July 30th. It is now August 18th and I can now say except for the back of my Cruiser, it has been stripped of the old caulking from the front to the back and top to bottom.. The front and the sides all the trim, front cap, windows and storage doors. And has been resealed and caulked. Lets just say that I am getting very good at caulking. Yes it was very time consuming but thankfully we have had such beautiful weather where I live that the 3 weekends and many evenings as I still am working. My fifth wheel is now ready for its maiden camping trip. Well the first time that we get to use it, Maybe Labour Day Long Weekend. Well thanks for all your advice and helpful hints and guess what I saved myself a lot of money. Spent around $150 on caulking and roof sealant.

Rick M
2010 Cruiser CTX 26RKX
1997 2500 Silverado (53,000 Miles)
6.5 Detroit Turbo Diesel
Bc Canada "EH"
Bc, Canada
Old 08-19-2020, 06:41 AM   #9
Site Team

Congratulations Rick!
You not only saved yourself a ton of money, You also have the satisfaction of having learned how to take care of it yourself and not feel like you are at the mercy of a dealer.
Plus, you know what you did, and you know it's done right.
Old 08-19-2020, 01:00 PM   #10
Site Team

Good job. Now you're an expert and like Lloyd said, you don't have to depend on a dealer to rob you blind.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 05:08 PM   #11
Weekend Camper

I wouldn't go back to that stealer er dealer ever again. What a rip off. Best wishes and congratulations on a job well done.
Old 08-20-2020, 05:48 PM   #12
Full Time Camper

My 2015 Z-1 211RD (small TT) had to go the shop for collision repair. Ins took care of all of it beyond my deductible.
While there, I asked them to a) clean roof, b) clean AC and shroud, and c) take a look at my caulking. (I had done some patching over the last 5 years, but only what I could reach from the sides)
Caulk roof Labor - $315, Caulk roof parts $299 (mostly 15 tubes of caulk)
Clean roof - $105
Clean AC - $105

Add tax, and the whole job came to $855

I'm happy with their work!

There seems to be a WIDE variance in shop prices. Shop around!
Dalzell SC
MartyinSC is offline   Reply With Quote