Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-19-2009, 07:30 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Fellow Forum Members:

I am trying to be prepared and hopefully it will not be needed. I am looking through my new Cruiser owners manual and I am unable to read where Crossroad provides do's and dont's regarding lifting the trailer to remove and replace the tire with the spare. I know about the stages for proper torgue on the bolts.

Also, since I have the new "wide stance" suspension system on the Cruiser CTX CF27RLX (15" between the tires) does anybody have any experience with the need for the wet bolt system?

Thanks

Preston, Retired Army (1995}

2010 CF27RLX being towed by a 2005 F350 dually 6.0 Powerstroke, automatic FX4, Airlift Airbags, Reese 15K Hitch
NC Retiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 07:42 AM   #2
Seasonal Camper

Here is a link to a Lippert LIP. http://www.lci1.com/LIP/0134.pdf I got this with the paperwork that came with my trailer.
rcflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 07:51 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

I use a Trailer buddy to change the tires. I have to put a 3/4 inc by 6 inch board under neath it. Than I back up or pull forward, it will Pick up the other tire that needs changing easy no jacks to fool with or worry where to place the jack

Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 08:56 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

Same concept as Frank. In 6 yrs. RVing have only had to change a tire once. The Trailer buddy concept made it quick and easy.

Breckenridge, CO
'08 Crossroads Sunset Trail ST30BH Traded
'21 Grand Design Reflection 31MB 5er
'22 Cougar 29RLI 5er
'23 RAM 2500 4X4 CTD
coastn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 10:32 AM   #5
Weekend Camper

My understanding is if you are going to jack, jack on the frame using a board to spread the load. Wish I had remembered to put the other wheel up on blocks, would have made thejob of replacing the wheel much easier. Even with two 4 inch pieces of gluelam beams under my 6 ton jack I could not get the axle high enough to get the wheel back on the hub. Had to use the truck jack to lift the axle about 2 inches. Need a fairly had piece of wood to put next to the frame. My jack went right through the first one I used.

Keep a close eye on your lugs and studs. Lost a wheel on an on ramp. Stripped the studs and the lugs were gone. Don't know why it happended yet. Dealer is contacting crossroads. Torqued the lugs just before I left home. Brand new torque wrench.

Kevin from K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 11:28 AM   #6
Family Vacation Member

I can't understand what the problem would be to place the jack under the axle directly under the spring. I actually place it on the square steel plate under the spring. I raise it enough to get the tire off the ground then remove the tire. I have used this method for years on all my boats and RV trailers. It has never caused a problem. Why place the jack under the I-Beam frame??
Pull Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 12:17 PM   #7
Weekend Camper

This is the Lippert service LIP sheet on jacking. Crossroads uses Lippert frames.

RECOMMENDATIONS FOR JACKING THE FRAME TO CHANGE A TIRE

1. Carrying a jack rated for the weight of the coach is essential. The must be rated

between 8 and 12 tons.

2. To prevent damage to the coach, carry wood blocks to place between the and the

main rail (I-beam) of the coach and to go under the jack.

3. DO NOT jack the coach on the axle tube or black pipe gas lines.sometimes mounted

to the bottom of the I-beam.

4. Chock the wheels, both front and rear, on the opposite side of the coach.

5. If hitched to tow vehicle, stay hitched and set the parking brake.

6. DO NOT use the front landing gear or rear stabilizer jacks to pick the coach up to

change a tire. this is dangerous and may result in serious bodily injury or death

I have always used the same proceedure as you on my boats and my old Jayco TT, but apparently Crossroads 5ers are different. I also understand jacking on the axles might void the Lippert warranty. Might be worth more research.

Hope this helps.
Old 11-19-2009, 12:17 PM   #8
Full Time Camper

I know what LCI says but I think you will find most that jack where the Ubolts are at or I roll up on plastic level blocks much as the same idea as some of the ways. I also know my tire store also jacks at the same place.

Old 11-19-2009, 12:32 PM   #9
Weekend Camper

Your trailer, your warranty, your decision. As my 5er is waiting on warranty work that may involve Lippert components, I do not choose to give them an out. Thanks.
Old 11-19-2009, 02:11 PM   #10
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pull Dog
I can't understand what the problem would be to place the jack under the axle directly under the spring. I actually place it on the square steel plate under the spring. I raise it enough to get the tire off the ground then remove the tire. I have used this method for years on all my boats and RV trailers. It has never caused a problem. Why place the jack under the I-Beam frame??
You were jacking on axles that were above the spring. Most of the new Lippert axles are located below the spring. The load is now on the spring plate and not theU bolts. If you compare the axle tube wall thickness with the older axles you will see the problem. The newer axles have very thin walls. They do not have to withstand the trailer weight via the U bolts. If you jack directly on the tube or U Bolt the axle tube may collapse.
rcflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 08:17 PM   #11
Full Time Camper

I stand by my first post, get the trailer buddy, and not worry about it

Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
Old 11-19-2009, 10:04 PM   #12
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcflyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pull Dog

You were jacking on axles that were above the spring. Most of the new Lippert axles are located below the spring. The load is now on the spring plate and not theU bolts. If you compare the axle tube wall thickness with the older axles you will see the problem. The newer axles have very thin walls. They do not have to withstand the trailer weight via the U bolts. If you jack directly on the tube or U Bolt the axle tube may collapse.

How could I compare axle tube wall thickness since all axles sealed on each end with the spindle welded in place?? If the wall thickness of the axle is that thin and weak how come when I hit a pot hole it does not collapse ? I can certainly see damage occuring if the jack is not placed as close as possible to the tire. For instance if someone placed a jack in the middle of the axle it would probably bend and thus change the camber of the tire. The reasoning behind Lipperts instructions may have legal implications. Someone placing a bottle jack under the round axle and it slips off could bring lawsuit against somebody.....in today's legal world! I just went outside to check my 06 CF29CK and you are correct. The axle sits on top of the spring and the U-bolts wrap around the bottom of the axle. I have placed my floor jack under this u-bolt many times and never had problems with the wall of the axle collapsing. If I place a jack under the I-beam and try to raise the trailer, it would raise both tires on that side at the same time. If still hooked to the truck it could possibly cause frame twist on the trailer and with all the bad press Lippert is getting with broken welds at the pin box this would raise questions as to the sanity of this method. I believe I shall continue to raise my axles one at a time. The person who did the write up at Lippert probably has never lifted a trailer himself and the write up is there for legalities.
Pull Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 03:57 AM   #13
Full Time Camper

Pretty sure what Frank's talking about is similar to Camco's Trailer-Aid and Trailer-Aid Plus. This is what I've used (once) in the past. Took about 5 minutes to change the tire and will work on uneven ground. No jacks, no hassle. Tweety's describes the Trailer-Aid Plus as "...designed specifically for recreational trailers...the extra 1" lift makes Trailer-Aid Plus handy when performing maintenance on brakes, wheels, and axles."

For pictures of the application, go to:

www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/rv-jacks/trailer-aid.htm

Again, works for me and I don't have to deal with jacks, axles, U-bolts, etc. How does the old song go..."Make it easy on yourself" ?

Breckenridge, CO
'22 Cougar 29RLI 5er
'23 RAM 2500 4X4 CTD
Old 11-20-2009, 05:06 AM   #14
Full Time Camper

Russ that is the same thing I have with a different name. I got mine at a rodeo at the horse trailer display. The big thing is it is not going to fall off no jacks to pump up do not have to worry about placement it faster thus you can get back to your Abita Quicker, easy to store, Did I mention that you can get back to your Abita Beer quicker??

Edited by: fhenn
Old 11-20-2009, 10:18 AM   #15
Weekend Camper

The one and only time I had to change a blown tire by the side of a very busy Calif. freeway, I built a ramp out of my yellow plastic leveling blocks, pulled the good tire on it.This raised the bad tire. Changed tires, replaced everything. Took less than half an hour. So I'm slow.

2005 Cf29CK with all the goodies and hydraulic disk brakes
Squaredancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 03:23 AM   #16
Full Time Camper

Amen, Frank.

Breckenridge, CO
'22 Cougar 29RLI 5er
'23 RAM 2500 4X4 CTD
Old 02-19-2010, 12:01 PM   #17
New Camper

Thanks everyone. You've solved my problem on how to R&R my tires on the new trailer so that I can balance the tires. My local tire shop will balance the tires, but won't touch the trailer. Never did balance them on the old TT.

08 GMC 2500HD

07 Cruiser 27RL
Dave'n'Lou is offline   Reply With Quote