Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2022, 06:11 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Converter - 2012 CrossRoads - Cruiser Sahara CF310QB 5th Wheel

Help please. I am frustrated on finding the converter. It is not part of the electrical panel. It is not mounted in the cavity behind the panel. From the panel, there are 6 awg - 2 positive and 2 neg heading down through the floor to somewhere. So, I figured great, it'll be somewhere between there and the battery which is a basement panel. I pulled all the crap out of the basement, and pulled the panel out. No joy! Just plumbing and water hoses in there. Therr are no other little grated panels telltale of something needing air flow behind it, between the electrical panel and shore power location, anywhere inside.

I read another post of finding one behind the water / winterizing panel. I got excited and checked there - nope.

I hope someone can point me in the right direction. I am to the point of needing copious amounts of whiskey.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20220517_170022.jpg (251.8 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 20220517_170128.jpg (193.1 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 20220517_170157.jpg (194.8 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 20220517_170255.jpg (149.7 KB, 9 views)
Festus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 06:52 PM   #2
Site Team

First Hello and welcome.

The 4 large wires ( 2 white) and (2 black) are the start of your journey. 2 - 1 white and 1 black goes to your battery and the other 2 go to the deck mount converter. It looks like they go into the floor so you may have to pull the under belly down to trace the wires. The deck mount converter would probably be plugged in to a outlet. Can you access the part under the stairs? On ours it lives behind the basement wall on the floor but you have to pull the wall to get to it.

It looks like you already have looked there. So I would follow the wires if you can.

Usually they are plugged into the outlet on the back of the power center but in your picture it looks empty.

Good luck and let us know what /where you find it.
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 07:41 PM   #3
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagst1 View Post
First Hello and welcome.

The 4 large wires ( 2 white) and (2 black) are the start of your journey. 2 - 1 white and 1 black goes to your battery and the other 2 go to the deck mount converter. It looks like they go into the floor so you may have to pull the under belly down to trace the wires. The deck mount converter would probably be plugged in to a outlet. Can you access the part under the stairs? On ours it lives behind the basement wall on the floor but you have to pull the wall to get to it.

It looks like you already have looked there. So I would follow the wires if you can.

Usually they are plugged into the outlet on the back of the power center but in your picture it looks empty.

Good luck and let us know what /where you find it.

It appears there may be a cavity under the stairs - no access from the basement side as my pic shows from pulling the basement storage panel off. I cannot find any screws or access panel anywhere on the stairs.

I just thought of one more place to look - the only grating inside, is for the furnace - maybe somewhere beside it.

Removing the underbelly fabric would be a serious undertaking to trace wires - I have sealed it really well to keep the critters out. Since I already have repair work of the cheap ass wood from removing the basement storage panel, I think before attempting to remove the underbelly, I will just farmerize some ****.

What I mean is, I have been thinking, I already know the converter is pooched from my testing. The panel clearly labels what breaker and wires go to the converter, and I will have to determine which of the 6 awg wires go to battery / come from converter on the 12 volt side. Whether 12 volt or 120, I will disconnect the converter wires from the panel, and cut them to the floor so they can never be reused. I then will obtain a new converter, mount it in the cavity behind the panel where there is tons of room / where it should have been in the first place / therefore completely "accessible" for the next time, and just wire the new converter into both sides of the panel in original lugs / breaker.

Fix the manufacturers engineering and stop the breaking of poor manufacturingand materials, if I cannot find it during my last resort search by the furnace.

I farmerize **** all the time - usually make it better than it was. This plan would be "simple" like it should be. Thoughts?
Old 05-18-2022, 01:57 PM   #4
Weekend Camper

Not behind the systems control panel.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20220518_135425.jpg (191.2 KB, 3 views)
Old 05-18-2022, 01:59 PM   #5
Weekend Camper

Not anywhere near the furnace.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20220518_135454.jpg (91.4 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 20220518_123239.jpg (73.7 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 20220518_123244.jpg (103.4 KB, 4 views)
Old 05-18-2022, 02:00 PM   #6
Weekend Camper

Yesterday, I spoke with the dealer service department. That was about as much of a waste of time as putting an elevator in an outhouse.
Old 05-18-2022, 02:04 PM   #7
Site Team

Are you the original owner? And have you tried following the wires? You would not need to pull the whole underbelly just enough to peek in.
Old 05-18-2022, 02:05 PM   #8
Weekend Camper

This morning, Just Answer provided a number to Keystone RV customer service. I called them up. Tracey tried to be helpful, but everyone she had contact with were adamant that it was mounted with or near the electrical panel.

I also learned that Keystone and Cruiser RV amalgamated in 2016, so stuff like wiring diagrams were not available to her.

Afrer tearing the above items apart, I have found more poor quality construction to fix though. Oh goody!
Old 05-18-2022, 02:11 PM   #9
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Are you the original owner? And have you tried following the wires? You would not need to pull the whole underbelly just enough to peek in.

No offense - still to this day, what does being the original owner have anything to do with anything???

I have tried following the wires as far as that took me. No one can peek in the underbelly - it has the Polar pkg, so insulated underbelly. For as much as that is worth - that is a joke for another day.
Old 05-18-2022, 02:22 PM   #10
Site Team

Because if you bought it used the previous owner may have for some reason removed/relocated the converter. Just saying -- if it were mine i would follow the wires pull a small section of the underbelly down just enough to see the wires and see where they go. But as i stated if you bought it used then who knows. And as the Lady said they are usually located behind the power center if not a part of it and plugged into the plug on the back.
Old 05-18-2022, 08:37 PM   #11
Weekend Camper

Finally found....in the furthest position, completely opposite direction it should have been - rear driver's side corner, bedroom, inside the dresser.

Who in Louisiana Sasquatch engineered / approved this crap? 21' as the crow flies from the electrical panel, and likely around 30' of wire run. I measured 0.5 volts of power drop from one end to the other at that distance. And, of course they mounted the AC outlet directly onto the carpet. Stupid!

Let's recap the idiocy:
- shore power comes into the unit and goes to the electrical panel, passenger side, just forward of center, near the door.
- then they run 120v roughly in a 30' run to the opposite rear corner, and mount an outlet onto carpet. Oh, hid the converter inside the dresser. No air flow - pretty much a sealed 12" x 14" void.

- then run (2) 6 awg wires 30' back thevthe 12 volt side of the electrical, ghenbthexsame from the panel to the battery, driver's side. in the front storage compartment - approximately another 20' of DC wire run.

Anyone else see the voltage loss on the AC znd DC circuits? Dumb!

I can assure that the new converter is absolutely not going back to this location. It will be going into the void behind the electrical panel - less than 10% of the originsl wire run, and way less loss. I hope there are factory designers / engineers thst frequent these sites so they can see thevrwal wotld idiocy for themselves.

In addition, of all the things torn apart in looking, I cannot unsee no insulation where there should be some. Sawdust and cuttings left inside cavities during construction, splintered wood, and a host of other items. All of which need fixing begore putting things back together. It can't be left.

There is no reasonable explanation on why anyone should have to register to a site to ask a question of others over this?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20220518_124627.jpg (150.1 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 20220518_124618.jpg (236.3 KB, 7 views)
Old 05-18-2022, 08:47 PM   #12
Site Team

Again did you buy this new? That is not a factory installed converter. Someone has just thrown that in there. It is not even attached. I believe someone for some unknown reason moved it and that is why i asked if you are the original owner.
Old 05-18-2022, 08:54 PM   #13
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Again did you buy this new? That is not a factory installed converter. Someone has just thrown that in there. It is not even attached. I believe someone for some unknown reason moved it and that is why i asked if you are the original owner.

Actually I am the original owner. The pic was after I unscrewed it from the wall to get at the lugs for testing.

That is a factory install. I didn't move it. I wouldn't do something so utterly stupid!
Old 05-18-2022, 08:55 PM   #14
Site Team

Happy you found it. Good luck!
Old 05-26-2022, 03:17 PM   #15
Weekend Camper

PIA relocation and way overbuilt, but zero voltage loss on both the AC and DC sides.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20220526_151003.jpg (162.8 KB, 8 views)