Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-18-2009, 10:31 PM   #21
Full Time Camper

I think if you visit other forums you will find a lot of bad frams in the pin area. I saw 1 the other day with 2 metal braces welded in and I believe it was payed for by Lippert. Why because the person pushed it with pictures on the forum and fought with dealer and Lippert. Lippert says it's not my problem the Manufactor gave me the spects for frame, and msn. says I did'nt build frame.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 12:19 AM   #22
Seasonal Camper

If people who have had these problems would register a complaint through the NHTSA (National Highway Transportation Safety Adminsitration) the government could bring Lippert to deal with the problems.

Viet Nam Vet 70-71 Da Nang

Real airplanes have two wings and big, round, engines
BipeFlier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 08:04 AM   #23
Full Time Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to mwebber78
Sorry but aren't these called travel trailers? Maybe Lippert should stick to making park model frames and let Dexter/Leland build the rest of them.

In fact, they applies to their axles, too. They are fine to drive to the seasonal site but don't put too many miles on them or you'll bend them....
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 08:11 AM   #24
New Camper

<a href="http://travel.webshots.com/album/573625377aHZsaR?vhost=travel&amp;start=12" target="_blank">

I have posted a link to some pics I have taken of this problem. Hope it works!

http://travel.webshots.com/album/573625377aHZsaR?vhost=travel&amp;start=12

Just a FYI to finish up......

*We are not full time RVers. Our trips average about 6 times a year and never in rugged terrain.

*We have never had this off-pavement. (at a deer lease, etc.)

*We have never pulled another trailer with this trailer.

*We have taken really good care of this trailer and feel that it has never been abused.

*As people have recommended, we did an online search and found that many others have had trouble with Lippert frames.

*We realize that these kinds of things can happen to any trailer, but we thought this might be a safety issue and are trying to help others.</A>Edited by: debbie.ellison@att.n

2004 Cruiser 28BH
debbie.ellison@att.n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 08:36 AM   #25
Site Team

Debbie:
That looks like a serious problem alright. Have you had a certified welder look it over and give you an opinion? Please keep us posted and up to date on this. I'm sure everyone here on the forum wants to know how you make out with it.
Thanks for posting the pictures.

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 09:34 AM   #26
Full Time Camper

To me it is pretty clear it is a Lippert issue. I think they should step up and make this right. They did step up and make it right when the outriggers were an issue on some of the frames in the past but I think that was only because they knew they had a problem and I think Crossroads put the pressure on them to make it right. You would think with all the bad press Lippert has been getting on many RV forums that the manufactures would be on them about their crappy QA. I would report this issue to NHTSA and keep pushing the issue with both Crossroads and Lippert.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 10:34 AM   #27
Weekend Camper

That is scary!!!!! Thanks for the pictures!! I do hope Lippert makes good on this.
https://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r...aravan07-2.gif
pegger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 11:59 AM   #28
Weekend Camper

If you are going to pusue the issue with Lippert, Crossroads, etc.I would recommendyou put something in the pictures for reference. Maybe hold up a ruler along side the crack so that it is clear just how big the cracks are.

Have: 2008 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2006 GMC Yukon Denali
croberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 10:15 PM   #29
Full Time Camper

This is where Lippert has all their problems , bad welds and inferior metal. I would get this fixed locally and push Lippert to pay the bill. This is a safty issue that has been going on to long.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 04:08 AM   #30
Full Time Camper

Debbie,

It is not clear from the front driver's side pics if the weld has just pulled away from the crossmember or if the crossmember has actually cracked where the weld had been made. The crossmember is thinner gauge steel than the pin box frame and more sensitive to too excessive welding.

There are some other pics you may want to take to help document the issue for Lippert. First, there are 4 horizontal gussets welded at the outside corners of the pin box frame to the front and rear crossmembers. You may need to remove the white plastic trim around the outside of the frame, it will need to be removed anyway for repairs and your unit is out of warranty so this shouldn't be a concern. Second, you have not taken pics of the main verticle welds between the rear crossmember and the pin box frame. You only have pics of the small angle brackets welded to the rear crossmember. Getting these pics will be very difficult, maybe a small auto-focus camera will work or the pin box may need to be removed. Even if you don't get the pics now, get what you can before repairs are started, it's all about documentation.

If Lippert does agree to do the repairs, they may send a mobile welder from their nearest plant in Longview, Tx to your home. That is what they did to make our outrigger repairs. If you proceed without waiting on Lippert, take your pics to several local RV shops and ask if they can suggest a welder experienced with RV repairs. Again, submit everything to TL's Action Line and you will very likely get reimbursement from Lippert.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 05:55 AM   #31
Family Vacation Member

I had one of my trailer wheel fall off as I was entering a c.g speeding around 5MPH....
The welding was poorly done and did not cover the whole area.
I have fixed the problem with a local welder and then send pictures to Lippert ,that was kind enough to send 2 new axles and payed for my repairs.
Reading your case and many others it seems that there is a quality problem with Lippert products like frame and axles.
As we are all in the same boat I think we have to get together and solve this issue one way or another.
I suggest that we chose a Crossroads owner with a law degree or hire a lawyer to present the case.
If we let individuals fight by themselves it is a lost battle in most cases.
As a group we have power and Crossroads/Lippert will be more open to solve the issue in our favorite.
To make this work,please post your opinion on the matter and what should be the next operational step.
Thank you all.

CF29CK 2006

F-350 2006

https://danyshula.blogspot.com//
danyshula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 06:38 AM   #32
Family Vacation Member

BTW in the CR Website http://www.crossroadsrv.com/files/co...on_cruiser.pdf
this quote can be found"The 8� I-beam frames are made by Lippert Components™, but are
engineered to CrossRoads Specs.

It is my understanding that CR must have some responsibility on the components from any other manufacturer they use
But as I posted before it is all a matter of interpretation and therefore one that can deal with the case is a Lawyer.

CF29CK 2006

F-350 2006

https://danyshula.blogspot.com//
danyshula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 01:18 PM   #33
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayle1
Debbie,

It is not clear from the front driver's side pics if the weld has just pulled away from the crossmember or if the crossmember has actually cracked where the weld had been made. The crossmember is thinner gauge steel than the pin box frame and more sensitive to too excessive welding.

There are some other pics you may want to take to help document the issue for Lippert. First, there are 4 horizontal gussets welded at the outside corners of the pin box frame to the front and rear crossmembers. You may need to remove the white plastic trim around the outside of the frame, it will need to be removed anyway for repairs and your unit is out of warranty so this shouldn't be a concern. Second, you have not taken pics of the main verticle welds between the rear crossmember and the pin box frame. You only have pics of the small angle brackets welded to the rear crossmember. Getting these pics will be very difficult, maybe a small auto-focus camera will work or the pin box may need to be removed. Even if you don't get the pics now, get what you can before repairs are started, it's all about documentation.

If Lippert does agree to do the repairs, they may send a mobile welder from their nearest plant in Longview, Tx to your home. That is what they did to make our outrigger repairs. If you proceed without waiting on Lippert, take your pics to several local RV shops and ask if they can suggest a welder experienced with RV repairs. Again, submit everything to TL's Action Line and you will very likely get reimbursement from Lippert.
FYI: Lippert is in the process of closing it's plant in Longview. I live here and was disappointed as I needed some suspension work done.
pulpwood007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 02:19 AM   #34
New Camper

Thanks for all of your responses. I received a lot of good information. At this time I am in contact with Crossroad and Lippert; they are helping me with this problem. Lippert is requesting a piece of the metal to run some tests. I will keep you updated with the progress.

Also, I would like to help with the driving stress on the frame. I have seen several pin boxes that claim to help with the stress on the frame. Do these really work? Do they void the warranty (on a new camper)? Any recommendations?

2004 Cruiser 28BH
Old 07-23-2009, 03:05 AM   #35
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by debbie.ellison@att.n

Also, I would like to help with the driving stress on the frame. I have seen several pin boxes that claim to help with the stress on the frame. Do these really work? Do they void the warranty (on a new camper)? Any recommendations?
Debbie, I recently installed a MorRyde pin box. This was one of the better mods I have done on the 5er. Has eliminated a great percentage of the chucking, and improved the ride all the way around. I don't think it voids the warranty, but I don't know that for a fact. You should probably check with CR for a more definite answer.
If you go back 1 page in the up grades and modifications, and look at my post on "pin box" you should find some more info on this.
Hope this helps.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 06:49 AM   #36
Family Vacation Member

Send a message via Yahoo to KHUNLINDA2003
We too had a problem with our 04 Silverado Lippert frame. One of the crossmembers was never welded. Due to excessive flexing the frame cracked between the axles on both the drivers and passengers side. We had them weld the crossmember and then weld additional plating on both sides. We've driven another 30K with no problems. I wish the DOT would put in laws requiring safe frames and components like they do on cars.
KHUNLINDA2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 03:02 PM   #37
Weekend Camper

I can't stay out of this 1 any longer. I posted last year on this very subject around August 15
although I can't seem to find it. I will give you my sob story again and the very happy ending.

I towed my new Seville CK35 from Med Hat AB to Morden MAN which is about 1100 kms.
While towing this unit I happened to look in the mirror (drivers) and noticed side to side sway.
Not that it's uncommon on the TransCanada Hyw with all the ruts. I checked in my vanity mirror and looked at the pinbox which was not swaying. The trailer was flexing on frame so I limped into
Morden to Sun Valley RV who promptly took a look at it. After a few tests of backing under and
hitching up,they told me I how lucky I was that I had not had a wreck. Contacted the factory and
after telling them it was not safe to pull another mile they agreed to let Sun Valley look at it even
though they are not a Crossroads dealer. I left my unit with Sun Valley over the winter and would
return June 2009 back on the pipeline. Sun Valley rebuilt the frame from the gooseneck forward
and did a beautiful job. Crossroads looked at the pictures that were sent and promptly made good for the repairs which were about 4500 dollars. Happy Ending. Buy the way, I really like this trailer. Can't say enough about Sun Valley and their staff. Old School Honest and will deal
on a handshake. Pretty damn good trailer techs too. Thanks 4 Listening

Doug Palmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 02:31 AM   #38
New Camper

Just to let everyone know, we had a certified welder come take a look before we took it to get repaired. We did this for two reasons. First, to see if it was safe to drive. Second, to check out theoriginal welding.

Currently my trailer is in the shop. The welding repairs and reinforcementhas been completed and we are just waiting for the cap and skin to be reinstalled. Just waiting and hoping for the best....

2004 Cruiser 28BH
Old 07-29-2009, 03:32 AM   #39
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by debbie.ellison@att.n
Also, I would like to help with the driving stress on the frame.Â* I have seen several pin boxes that claim to help with the stress on the frame.Â* Do these really work?Â* Do they void the warranty (on a new camper)?Â* Any recommendations?

FWIW here is my take on this question. What the fancy pin boxes do is provide isolation or flexibility between the truck and the fiver. Much of the benefit is in driver comfort, not necessarily reduced stress on the fiver frame (although there definately will be some reduction). Anyway, my approach was to get a better suspension for the fiver so that it would ride smoother and experience less stress on the entire fiver plus transmit less stress to the truck. I figured that the pin box upgrade could be step two if needed. I've been satisfied with the Mor/ryde IS setup since June, 2004.

If you are only concerned about stress on the pin box attachment portion of the frame, another option would be to get a shorter pin box extension. But that probably means a SuperGlide hitch as well. This is not my suggestion, just an option.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 08:13 AM   #40
Full Time Camper

Debbi we installed the Glide ride by Demco. I did this to hel take care of the chucking that we had. This took care of about 90 percent of the problem. T would think that it would also help take some of the stress out of the fifth wheel.. I would put the Equa-Flex on your unit if you do not have it. I installed it on the Zinger that we had and it made a big difference. The fifth wheel all ready had it on when we bought it. It is a easy install and is Fairly resonable. If you go this route be sure to get the wet bolt kit with it. Best of Luck

Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote