Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-10-2014, 08:24 PM   #1
Seasonal Camper

Cruiser Aluminum wheel

It looks like I need to replace one of my wheels. It has always had a slow leak that I always thought was valve stem related or such. Recently it dropped from 65 lbs to 12 lbs in about 4 weeks. The shop just called and said they were getting some bubbles on the surface about an inch from the valve stem hole. That wheel has always needed more balancing weights than the others. I figure it must have been a bad casting.

I forgot to ask the the shop the size of the wheel so I can order a new one. If I recall it is a 15" x 6" Rim - 6 on 5-1/2 pattern. Does this sound right? E-trailer has a rim that looks very similar so I can get by with just ordering one. If I didn't have two year old Maxxis I would move up to 16" rims.

I am assuming this is something that can't be repaired.

Anyone else have an aluminum rim fail on them like this?

2005 CF29RE 04 Ford F250 crew 6.0 P/stroke FX-4.

(pic coming soon!)
shoetravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 08:52 PM   #2
Site Team

Check out this place for help. http://autosalonleschi.com/wheel-repair-seattle/

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 09:26 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

Patrick, I have not heard of this but you might try some of that spray wheel sealant that you insert through the stem. You will need to drive the RV after installing. I have had good luck with that stuff. It might get you by until you can replace the rim or upgrade to 16" rims. Be sure to tell any tire shop it is in there before someone works on it in the future.
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 09:36 PM   #4
Seasonal Camper

Thanks for the ideas guys. I was able to find a replacement wheel for about $100. So I should have it mounted up by the end of the week. I am going to hold onto the old one to see if I can get it repaired and use for the spare.
The horseshoes turned the other way today. Coming home tonight I followed a truck that had "Alloy Wheel Repair" on the back. I wrote down the number and will give them a call tomorrow....

(pic coming soon!)
Old 05-15-2014, 10:44 AM   #5
New Camper

rims and towmax tires

I have had 2 rims crack / leak in the last year and had a blowout and 2 flat tires with newer towmax tires...I have a 2006 Cruiser travel trailer...anybody else having issues like this?
JLWink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 03:48 PM   #6
Weekend Camper

Leaking rim

I once repaired a leaking aluminum rim that was leaking through a pin-hole using liquid metal that can be bought in tubes at a hardware store. Locate the hole on the inside. Prepare the metal as per instructions. Takes very little to stop the leak. Worked for me.
albertr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 05:47 PM   #7
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLWink View Post
I have had 2 rims crack / leak in the last year and had a blowout and 2 flat tires with newer towmax tires...I have a 2006 Cruiser travel trailer...anybody else having issues like this?
My Cruiser is a late in the model year 2005. I have some of the features that became standard on the 06's. So good chance my wheels are the same batch as yours. Never had a blow out and always kept watch on the tire inflation. This particular wheel on the street side has always had a slow leak issue. Not sure how many valve stems I've had to put in it. Hoping no more problems with this new wheel. I'll have the old one back tomorrow and will have a better look at it. If I can get it repaired I'll mount it up for the spare.

(pic coming soon!)
Old 05-23-2014, 02:58 PM   #8
Full Time Camper

If your going to use it for a spare put slime in it and drive it for about 100 miles. Best thing for slow leaks. I 'slimed my truck tire about a year ago and no longer leaks.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 06:56 AM   #9
Seasonal Camper

Happy to report, I just returned from a trip to my favorite spot in the national forest. I checked the tire in question when I arrived, before I left and when I got home. It stayed right at the same 65.5 lbs that it was when I left home. Nice to have finally solved this issue. Only took about 9 years....

(pic coming soon!)
Old 05-26-2014, 07:57 AM   #10
Site Team

Who says being persistent doesn't pay?
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote