Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-20-2011, 09:30 PM   #1
New Camper

My wife and I are approaching retirement and have decided to full time with an RV. After much thought, we feel we want a 5th wheel since it makes the most sense for us. I don't want to maintain 2 power trains, for example.

We spent the day at Hershey and walked until we nearly dropped. Most units were ruled out and we narrowed our choices to about 3 or 4 manufacturers, CrossRoads being one.

I guess our big question is, how many of you are "Full Timing" in a Cruiser and how is it holding up?

I have learned through our shopping, that many manufacturers will not warranty their product if it is used full time. That tells me to stay away. If they don't have the confidence in their unit, why should I even consider it?

Looking forward to some good input.

Thanks in advance.

Tony & Cindy
PA Amish country. Watch where you step.

Old 01-20-2011, 10:17 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

The Cruiser's owner's manual specifically states that the Cruiser is NOT for full timing.

Art and Karen
2013 Itasca Sunstar 35F, 2013 Ford C Max toad.
170 nights in 2013
132 in 2014
artgpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 10:34 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

There is Cigar Mike that has been full timing in a Cruiser for several years he will cjhime in here soon I would think

Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 10:36 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

Yes they can be full timed in and there are people doing it but as Art said they are not warrantied as a full time unit.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 12:56 AM   #5
Weekend Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to papabear
Tony, Welcome to the Crossroad Form. Like some have already mentioned that most mfg don't warranty a full timer. In my opinion I wouldn't even tell them I was thinking of going full time until the mfg warranty was over. All you should need is a home address for them to title it too. Just a thought is all.

2012 Cruiser Patriot Edition 335SS

2014 F250 4X4 Super Duty Diesel

https://i639.photobucket.com/albums/u...s/IMG_1120.jpg
papabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 01:45 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to mwebber78
I know a few members her part-time or full-time with the units. I am inclined to say they are good in moderate climates but I wouldn't full time here in Maine or anywhere the temp. stays below freezing for an extended period of time.

We part-timed in ours for the summer on a seasonal spot. When the kids get out in June we used it everyday through September. We wore out 3 of the pleated night shades within 2 years, the carpet wasn't up to the task, but everything else performed flawlessly.

I would go for it given the right climate.
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 04:40 AM   #7
New Camper

Thanks for all the input. Looks like it may be in the running. Maine is beautiful but we've never been up there in winter. We go to Acadia every year for a week or two.

Tony

Old 01-21-2011, 06:04 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

I lived in Brunswick, ME with the Navy for 4 years. Back in '95/96 we had over 140" of snow. Not the time to be living in an RV.

Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 09:38 AM   #9
Full Time Camper

As others have said, many brands and models are not warranted for full time use. But the big question to how suitable a unit is for full time use, must include the consideration of what type of full time use. If the RV is stationary in a northern climate, then very few RVs are decent choices. But if full time use involves moving with the seasons, then plenty of them will be fine.

I have used my Cruiser for 7 yrs doing volunteer work, living in it about 50% of the time. But I don't really get to choose the season. I've lived in it for many days of 100+ temps. Is the A/C running almost continuously during those hot days? Yes. And I've also lived in for days when the temps never got above freezing. Did the water lines inside freeze? No, even though I use electric heaters much more than the furnace (in fact I sealed the furnace duct that is supposed to heat the underbelly). You could not look at this unit and tell how many days and under what conditions it has been used over those 7 yrs. The unit is solid and everything works.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 05:47 AM   #10
New Camper

Good to hear from a fellow "Airdale". I was with PMR Pt. Mugu for a year back in the olden days crewing (AT radio/radar tech) on EC121K's and flying Typhoons and Radar out of Guam with VW-1. Mostly DaNang and weather.

Did the last airshow at NAS Brunswick in '07 with my client who flew an F-86 fighter.

I wouldn't look for winter weather to camp in. We would follow the warm around the States.

Old 01-23-2011, 08:12 AM   #11
Full Time Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to mwebber78
If your following the warm air then a Cruiser will fit the bill nicely. They are very comfortable for living and feature a lot of bang for the buck.
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote