Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-13-2009, 12:38 AM   #1
Family Vacation Member

Has anyone had problems with your day/night shades? Ours had one cord(on the night shades)break--more like dissolve. It just frayed to pieces. And, there is at least one or two other shades that seem to be dissolving, with "dust" around the bottom of the cord. Suggestions? Are we not using them correctly, or is this a design flaw/ongoing problem? WE bought our unit in Febuary!!

Dee N Bob

Duramax,allison.etc.

2009 30SK Patriot edition

Pullrite 20.5k Super Fifth

https://i494.photobucket.com/albums/r...b1/NewSpot.jpg
buddhabob1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 12:51 AM   #2
Weekend Camper

Howdy
Same thing happened to us on our 2009 cruiser.One shade had a broken cord another one had a frayed cord. Dealer restrung under warrenty & used a better quality cord.They told us that if the cords are too tight it will cause excessive wear. They also checked all the shades in the unit. Have also read (somewhere ) that the better shades have grommets in the shades for the cords ...mine don't!
Cal

Old 09-13-2009, 01:12 AM   #3
Family Vacation Member

so far, not a problem for us. I put those shades up and down several times a day. Will watch for dusting/wear. Thanks for the FYI
w&cferb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 02:27 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

We had one break onours. The DW decided they are all pretty much junk and we will be replacing ours with something different as they quit working. You can't raise or lower ours without them hanging up on the loops that holds the curtians to the sides.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 03:41 PM   #5
Seasonal Camper

When I first saw the day night shades when looking at trailersI thought what a neat idea. But as neat ideas often go I hate the shades I have. They are most difficult things to use that I can imagine. I have tried adjusting them with little luck. After having to restring one when I let a cord go I can not see how the strings can last very long. The strings see some very rough service. I suspect in a few years my trailer will have the conventional pull shades.
rcflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 12:33 PM   #6
Weekend Camper

I have a funny story to tell about the day/night shades. We have had our Cruiser about 6 weeks and apparently did not get a very good dealer orientation on the unit. My husband is a fanatic when it comes to privacy. When dark sets in he closes all the blinds whether at home or camping. When he closed the blinds on the Cruiser wefelt like we were on display. I wentoutside after darkto make sure and confirmed that indeed we were. I began to look at the blinds to see if a roller shade could be installed above the factory shade. Upon inspection I noticed extra shade fabric on top of the shade. I thought how unusual, if there is too much shade it usually shows up at the bottom (not the top). Then a light went off in my head and I realized that the excess material was a darker privacy shade. I was so excited, but also felt a little stupid. Next time maybe I will read the instructions. Edited by: kjones9820

Jasper, AL

2009 30SK

[https://i565.photobucket.com/albums/s...andCruiser.jpg
kjones9820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 06:21 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

You shouldn't feel bad. I once was putting together a swing set and ran into problems so I got the instructions out and at the top of the instruction, in bold letters it said "SO you finally decided to look at the instructions". Busted!

Chrisnan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 11:47 PM   #8
Seasonal Camper

I vote for doing away with the day night shades and going back to heavy dark drapes. Our day night shades do nothing for keeping the trailer darker. And I've never checked to see if the privacy part of the shades work. If you've camped next to me and my day night shades are not providing privacy..........SORRY!!! Edited by: scott
https://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l1...04/TheRig3.jpg
scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 11:51 PM   #9
Full Time Camper

Scott, on ours all you can see is shadows at night we have checked.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 02:54 AM   #10
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter11
Scott, on ours all you can see is shadows at night we have checked.

That's good news. I've actually measured all of my windows and plan on buyer some fabric that will block light. To make sure you can't see thru at night and also tokeep it darker. Sometimes we get the heat and humidity and thesingle A/C struggles tokeep up. Our day/night shades are the same color in either position. It would havehelped if they made the night section of the shade a dark color.
Old 09-17-2009, 11:32 AM   #11
Full Time Camper

We actually like the shades. We have not had any problem with them once we removed the loop to hold the side curtains and then removed the side curtains all together. They do a good job blocking the light from outside.

Scott - ours are light for day and dark colored for night. Are you saying yours are light colored for day and night positions????
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 11:24 PM   #12
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan
We actually like the shades. We have not had any problem with them once we removed the loop to hold the side curtains and then removed the side curtains all together. They do a good job blocking the light from outside.

Scott - ours are light for day and dark colored for night. Are you saying yours are light colored for day and night positions????

Exactly, they are a cream color andthe day position is light (in weight) material that you can see thru. The Night position is the same color but heavier material. I haven't had any trouble with them as far as them breaking and needing repaired but they don't work as far as blocking sunlight. We've picked out some heavy brown material that matches our interior and we plan to use it tomake curtains we can velcro to the inside of the valances. It should block alot of sunlight and help keep the trailer cooler on those hot summer days.
Old 09-18-2009, 01:45 AM   #13
Full Time Camper

They must have changed the way they were made then. My night side definately blocks the light.
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 01:51 AM   #14
Weekend Camper

Ours(2009 30SK)do not completely block out the light but they provide privacy. They are not room darkening shades.

Jasper, AL

2009 30SK

Old 09-18-2009, 04:24 AM   #15
Weekend Camper

Strange...the night shades on our 2009 30sk are a darker color & block out the light very well. I just hope the new cords hold up.
Cal

Old 09-18-2009, 04:48 AM   #16
Weekend Camper

When I stated that they are not room darkening shades I was saying that they don't completely block out the light. They are darker and they darken the room somewhat but still let enough light through to be annoying in morning when we are trying to sleep. I love the shades and there are onlytwo windows in the bedroom so I could easily block out the light with some room darkening fabric.Edited by: kjones9820

Jasper, AL

2009 30SK