Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2016, 11:38 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Dead mouse smell

My 5th wheel has kind of lost that new trailer smell and now smells a little like dead mouse. So it could be one of the little critters somehow made it into a spot it couldn't get out of and expired. Anyone else ever come across this problem and if so how did you handle it?........
dualsportin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 07:48 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

Promise me that it is not the smell of propane. We had a leak at the tank and the scent reached the interior.

On a more humorous note we also had a pine marten that was caching his dead pocket gophers on top of our propane tank... stinky.
Old 07-08-2016, 11:21 AM   #3
Weekend Camper

Mouse smell

Yes, there is a propane smell coming from the propane tanks valves. I disconnected hoses and gave each valve the sniff test and got the distinct propane odor. Can the valves go bad in just 5 yrs? I have them closed as tight as they will go without breaking something. Are there rebuild kits for these?
dualsportin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 11:25 AM   #4
Site Team

I don't know if valves go bad very often. I do know that the smell of LP has the ability to linger. Especially clinging to rubber hose.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 11:30 AM   #5
Seasonal Camper

To check the valves use a little soapy water in a spray bottle and spray around the valves. If you have a leak you will see bubbles. The smell might be from after you disconnected the hoses. I always have a slight smell after removing the hoses from the tanks. The soap test will tell you for sure. I'm not sure about the rebuild kits, I personally have never had to replace one.

Phil & Janine
2010 Dodge Ram Crew Cab Short Bed 2500HD Cummins
2014 Cruiser 333RL
campingcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 04:28 PM   #6
Gone Traveling

The valves are not rebuildable they will have to be replaced along with the bottle. Mine alsays smell for a while around the valve & relief after being refilled from the liquid spraying out.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote