Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-08-2010, 07:58 AM   #1
Family Vacation Member

Does anybody have pictures of the enclosed underbelly,Would like to see what it looks like.The reason i'am asking is because i seen some kind of tape in a few places & one was a long strip.& they looked out of place.I asked about it& he said thats what they do,Well i went to the dealer tonight to check a couple of 2010 cruiser there & there was no tape,just in a few places i would see acess doors i suppose if there is a problem with the pipes they can get at it.Does something seem wrong with this?I never seen another underbelly so i didn't no what to look for.Also one was in the sharp of a rectangle with tape in the middle like they were patching something up.I don't no what to think.Edited by: campsurveyor
Old 01-08-2010, 09:24 AM   #2
Family Vacation Member

My under side has tape in a few places.I figure it got tore or they needed access to fix something during testing.I wish I hade some of their tape,it holds good.

2009 Cruiser 29RK
FB1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 09:30 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

Try Gorilla tape, it will hold the fabric underbelly. You can find it at hardware stores.

http://www.gorillaglue.com/tapes.aspx

If you are looking to add the underbelly covering I would go with Coroplast instead of the fabric they use. It will hold up and seal much better.

http://www.coroplast.com/Edited by: Hunter11
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 09:37 AM   #4
Family Vacation Member

Yea,But this is a new fifth wheel & it's still at the dealer,i think it should not have this,I think something is wrong,You don't think it's nothing to worry about?
Old 01-08-2010, 09:44 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

Sorry, I thought you were thinking about replacing yours. I should have read a little slower.....

If you have large pieces of tape on a new unit I would ask for it to be replaced. Ours has a couple of small squares (maybe 12"X12") as access points but no long areas that are taped up. Our 05 Cruiser was the same way. Sounds like yours may have gotten ripped in transit or some other way and was patched up.
Old 01-08-2010, 09:54 AM   #6
Family Vacation Member

Hunter11,RVW said they did not do it & they are the one's you picked it up,makes me wonder whats going on,I don't believe CrossRoads would send it out this way do you?Or do you think there might have been a leak & had to repair it?You would think they would drop the whole underbelly?I'am mad,I already paid them but i don't want it if it is not replaced or do you think it's no big deal?Thanks
Old 01-08-2010, 10:05 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

Campsurveyor....When we were looking at used campers, I saw some with patches and tape(some with tape unstuck) There were no such patches on the one we bought, and I dont think there should be any on a new model...unless it was torn or access to a problem was needed... I would ask for a new one....thats what you paid for right?...

06 F350 KR PS CC SRW

...Wish we were camping...
cowboy_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 10:12 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

This is only my opinion but if I was picking up a new unit and the underbelly was not one piece without long runs of tape where it had beenpatched up by someone I personally would not accept it that way. I have looked under several different CR trailers and I have never seen one with any long runs of tape where the underbelly has been patched together.

Now maybe something has changed in the way they do the underbelly now where they use more tape and I am sure some of the folks that have bought new units lately can check theirs and see what they look like.To me the more tape they use to hold the underbelly together the more chance there is of it coming loose and ripping the whole thing off going down the highway. Now after saying all this if they now use Coroplast to cover the bottom then it is not as big of a deal because it is a lot more ridgedbut if they still use the fabric stuff it could be a big deal.
Old 01-08-2010, 10:15 AM   #9
Family Vacation Member

cowboy_71,I agree,I no you can't see it but it does bug me,I can't help it but i want to know what happened but i'am sure i will never know.I will ask for a new one,Thanks
Old 01-08-2010, 10:30 AM   #10
Family Vacation Member

Hunter11,No i'am not going to accept it this way,I want a new one. It's about 250 miles to RVW but i'am really thinking of driving there & to talk to them in person,To me it's a big deal.I guess i feel like i'am getting mess with,LOLEdited by: campsurveyor
Old 01-08-2010, 11:03 AM   #11
Full Time Camper

On my unit there is a square and a u shape that are held together with tape. When I asked Crossroads about it they said it was there on purpose to acess parts that might have to be serviced in the future. They did this so the whole underbelly did not need to be dropped and replaced. (Think about it if some thing goes wrong under warranty it is quicker to remove these small sections than the time it would take to drop the whole under belly and replace it. They save lots of time which equalls money

Edited by: fhenn
Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 11:14 AM   #12
Family Vacation Member

fhenn,I notice when i looked at a couple of 2010's they had acess panels with were held by screws to get to the plumbing,Do you also have them?I didn't no what to look so when i looked under mine,Thanks
Old 01-08-2010, 11:21 AM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by campsurveyor

Does anybody have pictures of the enclosed underbelly,Would like to see what it looks like.The reason i'am asking is because i seen some kind of tape in a few places & one was a long strip.& they looked out of place.I asked about it& he said thats what they do,Well i went to the dealer tonight to check a couple of 2010 cruiser there & there was no tape,just in a few places i would see acess doors i suppose if there is a problem with the pipes they can get at it.Does something seem wrong with this?I never seen another underbelly so i didn't no what to look for.Also one was in the sharp of a rectangle with tape in the middle like they were patching something up.I don't no what to think.
I don't know if this is a big enough picture to help you out or not.

Mine has a few taped places, but like stated before, they are probably access points.
I picked up about 10ft. of that black tape from my dealer to take care of a couple areas that were of concern to me. I'm not familiar with gorilla tape, but in my opinion,it would have to be pretty good stuff to beat this tape from the dealer.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 11:25 AM   #14
Full Time Camper

Yes I have them, I went from a Zinger with no under belly to the Cruiser, I am afraid I was a pest to Randy during the first month of ownership. I later asked a service tech, that I trust, and he said the same thing. That when they have to drop the under belly they get paid four to five hours for it plus repairing what went bad. This way they can go direct to the problem area

Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 11:31 AM   #15
Family Vacation Member

Old Farmer,Yea alot of mine looks like that,But do you also have the acess panels that are held with screws,If you don't & fhenn doesn't i'am thinking they did it with tape in 2008 & they now have acess panels to get to the plumbing.Thanks
Old 01-08-2010, 11:35 AM   #16
Full Time Camper

Lloyd, I hope someone else will come along that has used Gorilla tape that can attest to how well it sticks other than me. Hal Hughes (HEH458) and I added step lights to both our trailers on one of our trips and he had a roll we used to patch the small holes we put in the underbelly fabric to run the wires. Once it stuck you could not get it off.

Both our old 05 Cruiser and our 07 PP have 2 access panels and they are black Coroplast material held in place by screws and two metal strips on each side of the panel. Everything else is solid material as in the picture Lloyd posted.

Edited by: Hunter11
Old 01-08-2010, 11:38 AM   #17
Site Team

Right off the top of my head----I can't answer that. I will go out tomorrow and look. I only spent "half" of my time working on it last summer, so I have to be honest and admit--- I some times suffer from CRS.

Old 01-08-2010, 11:46 AM   #18
Site Team

Keith:
I have no doubt it's good stuff. It's just I have never used it.
I was asking the parts person at my dealer what they used for patching on the under belly and this tape I got was it. I have sealed up a couple holes that bothered me and it seems to be one heck of a good tape. Who knows, maybe it's gorilla tape.

Old 01-08-2010, 11:47 AM   #19
Family Vacation Member

I no where you are coming from,LOL thanks
Old 01-08-2010, 11:51 PM   #20
Full Time Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to mwebber78
Hi Campsurveyor -

I have a 2009 31SB with the fabric-type enclosed underbelly material. I have NO tape anywhere on mine. Outlets are sealed with black expanding poly-foam and service entrances are covered with a piece of black plastic coroplast (plastic cardboard) and held in place with self tapping pan head screws. I can not determine how many areas you have from your post. Could you post pictures? Are these big areas, small areas?

The fastest answer will come from Randy M. at the Crossroads Service center - the guys build these things and repair them. With pictures I am sure Randy could tell you if the factory did this or if RVW did this repair.

My level of comfort with who placed the take on the trailer would determine my willingness to accept or not accept this unit. If the factory placed it there then it's covered by the warranty. If RVW placed the tape there to correct something on the trailer then who will over the tape should it fail becomes very fuzzy.

One common complaint I have heard about RVW is their PDI - so if something is wrong or you are unsure take your time and find the answers from Crossroads before driving into the sunset. Best of luck - let us know.
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote