Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-31-2013, 12:45 AM   #1
Full Time Camper

Took the top off the bed and found out why it was pulling away from the wall - not fully anchored to the bed slide. Multiple holes where drilled looking for a stud - I did not have any problem finding them - found the first one on the right and they are all installed on 16" centers.

Should have taken some before pictures and the mess I found when i took the bed apart.

I installed additional supports to the bed "top". There were 3 2X3s and 1X1s on the ends. I put 3X2s on the ends and added 6 supports (2X3s) between the 2X3s. No more sagging. I didn't replace the plywood because I still would have ended up with a seam. I used screws to attached all of the 2X3s - the factory used staples in everything - needless to say they were pulling out.

I added additional plywood where the slide anchors to the wall, vertical supports, and replaced the 2X2 that the front hinge is attached to with a 2X3.

Added a 2X3 to the front on both sides (bolted in place) this gave a better place to screw the ends of the "hinge plate". The hinge plate was originally screwed to the side of the bed - needless to the say the side of the bed did not provide the proper attachment point.

Added a center support and an end support.

You can see in the pictures where the shop damaged allot of the top of the sides of the bed. It is all covered bed spread.

Can't believe that the factory put most of the bed together with staples and no wood screws.

And - - as many have posted we pull the mattress back about 4 inches before we lift the bed top.

front attachment - I found the 3 studs and used 3 metal screws (2 1/2 inches) to attach each upright 2X3 that I installed. Where the factory used 2X2s or 1X2s I replaced with 2X3s.

Top supports:

center support:

end support

Hinge plate is now screwed in place instead of stapled. Hinges and hinge plate now is attached to a 2X3s instead of a 1X2 and a 2X2. Also the end of the hinge plate is now attached to a the 2X3 bolted to the end of the bed.

Edited by: NorskeNY

2012 Cruiser Patriot CF335SS.

2011 Silverado 3500HD LTZ CCLB Duramax SRW 4X4

https://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/...ailerKeuka.jpg
NorskeNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 10:35 AM   #2
Seasonal Camper

Exploding bed!

Anyone had their bed fall apart and any suggestions on how to fix it?

Has anyone had their gas struts pull the head of the bed base off the wall?

First, I'm amazed they made a queen bed out of 1/4" plywood cut down the center with a 1x3 holding it together.

The 2 pieces of 1x2 they had anchored to the wall pulled right out of the wall. It was in just paper covered luan. I renforced that with 2x4's underneath. Then I built a frame to support where the majority of the weight is across the bed.

Yesterday, the head end pulled away again and blew the bottom of the box away.

Thanks,
Sean
SeanRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 01:13 PM   #3
Seasonal Camper

Yikes.

I've never asked another guy to snap some pics of his bedroom before, but it seems appropriate this time. Can you show us what went wrong with your bed?
dedmiston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 04:45 PM   #4
Gone Traveling

Maybe not pics of what you were doing to break it, but where it's broken.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 06:39 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

Common problem when they use less than required to reduce weight. Most of us have reinforced ours by different methods. A search on here should come up with several options. I'm away right now or I would get some links for you.
Saskatoon, SK
WildWildWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 07:22 PM   #6
Site Team

I will repost a great repair job done by NorskeNY

Sorry SeanRN, but it ended up as the lead post here on this thread.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote