Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2009, 07:59 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

I recently noticed a fine, hairline crack in my fiberglass cap, about 2 inches long. I have a 2007 cf30sk.

A year ago, I noticed a similar crack in another location. I applied a very small amount of silicone caulk and the crack hasn't changed.

I had a body repair estimator take a look at the crack, and he thought the crack was in thecoating of the cap. They could repair it but itbutit wasrather expensive and hetold me upfront that it could crack again.

Has anyone else seen this?Again, the hairline crack looks morelike a scratch in the cap than a crack.

thanks

Joe_A
joe_agogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 09:14 AM   #2
Family Vacation Member

These hairline gel coat cracks appear in fiberglass boats all of the time and this sounds like what you have. If so I don't think they would leak moisture. If it is only in the gel coat it looks like Crossroads could fix you up with the correct color and you could spray or brush it on, sand it smooth with 2000 wet/dry paper and then buff it out. Check some marine dealers for fiberglass repair kits or gel coat repair kits.

Some cheaper or older Rv's used ABS plastic front caps and this stuff is really prone to crack but the cracks go all the way through the material and thus leak easily. ABS is not used much today because of this. Fiberglass is usually easy to repair and I doubt your cracks are into the fiberglass mat.
Pull Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 09:22 AM   #3
Seasonal Camper

I have a 2 inch long hair line cracks/lines in my most front corners. Were i bang my head.. Been there for two years.. They are so hard to see i am the only one that notices them. I tried to capture a picture of it with no luck. But it is there. Little spider looking cracks. They havn't changed or got bigger. I just keep an eye on both front lower corners..

2005 Cruiser

2001 F250 7.3

danskool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 12:11 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to mwebber78

I had small hairline cracks repaired at the factory this past week. They did a nice job.

Of note - the Jayco tour I took of theEagle factoryhad units at the end of the line that had fiberglass scratches/dings and gel cracks they repair at the end of the line. The line worker's put red tape at each defect. It looked like they use a orbital buffer with a compound and a fine grit pad to repair most defects.
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 05:02 AM   #5
Weekend Camper

I had a crack on the front point of my 29CK cap last summer and had the dealer repair it. After just a few trips it is back again. I don't know if it was just a bad repair or some other issue. I guess I will call Crossroads Service and see if they can send me the gelcoat to repair it. I wish I had time to take it to the factory for repair as I would like to get it done right and see the factory at the same time.
Bayou Talker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 06:31 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

Crossroads can authorize the dealer to subcontract to a body shop. Also, if you have a boat/marine shop these folks can fix this.
Old 05-05-2009, 11:50 AM   #7
Weekend Camper

I have 35 years in the marine business with more than a little bit of fiberglass repair experience. That is why I will probably just request the materials and do it myself. Since it is still in warranty I thought it would be better to have the dealer do it so there would be a record of it for just this occasion where it cracks again.

I just might take a few days vacation and make the trip to the factory anyway. It would be nice to put a few faces with the voices on the phone.
Bayou Talker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 12:11 PM   #8
Full Time Camper

If I could fix mine I'd do it myself.