Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-22-2009, 07:10 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Our 2009 30SK was bought new in August. We have used the furnace on a couple of trips without any problems. We are getting ready to go on a four day Thanksgiving trip and now the furnace has started making a loud noise. It sounds like possibly a fan in the blower or something. It gets loud for a few minutes and then quieter again. Anybody had a similar problem?

Jasper, AL

2009 30SK

[https://i565.photobucket.com/albums/s...andCruiser.jpg
kjones9820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 11:14 AM   #2
Family Vacation Member

Kay,

Is it possible that you are hearing the furnace lighting and shutting off? The blower fan is programed to come on for a few seconds (about 15 to 30, if I recall) to clear the combustion chamber and vents of any gas that may have leaked in. It also blows for some time after the furnace flame goes out to cool it down and also clear it.

To check if that is it, go outside to your furnace exhaust and see if the noise corresponds to the lighting of the furnace. You will be able to feel the heat and hear the light off from the outside exhaust. If that is not it then I think a little more description of the sound it is making would help.

2007 CF30SK Cruiser

2006 Dodge 5.9 CTD,48e,4x4,QC

https://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t...CRUISER1-1.jpg
Ridgeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 11:24 AM   #3
Weekend Camper

It's not the lighting of the furnace. It is very loud at times and is intermittent with viberation that I can feel on the countertops. It is much louder inside than out. Sounds like something is loose. We used it several nights without hearing this sound. It isn't a normal sound.

Jasper, AL

2009 30SK

Old 11-22-2009, 11:50 AM   #4
Family Vacation Member

Humm, well it isn't going to be that easy I guess. It will be covered by warranty when you can get it to your dealer, but that probably won't help you for your Thanksgiving trip.

You may want to take a look at the furnace while it is doing this. Might be somethingsimple like something loose such as a heater vent tube or where the furnace attaches to the main vent. You can access it by removing the 4 screws in the panel below your sink counter on the right side. If not it sounds like something internal to the furnace like a fan out of wack , a loose baffle or something. A lot of vibration internal to the furnace is not good. If you can't find the problem I would try very hard to get it to the dealer before you use it. If you can'tget it in before your tripyou could use a small electric heater or two if your going to camp where there is elect hook ups.

2007 CF30SK Cruiser

Old 11-22-2009, 12:05 PM   #5
Weekend Camper

Thanks for the info. I had no idea how to get to the furnace. It sounds like is is right under the sink cabinet. That is where the noise is loudest. I will look under there tomorrow and see if I can find anything. We will be camping on the campus of Auburn university with generators so it would be nice to have the gas furnace. Just returned from having some other problems fixed by the dealer. It's a 2 1/2 hourdrive so I'm hoping I can fix it myself. Have a nice Thanksgiving.

Jasper, AL

2009 30SK

Old 11-22-2009, 11:44 PM   #6
Weekend Camper

I sure don't mean to sound so abrupt, but.

Ifyou or someone else that you know isn't experienced with gas furnaces, best leave it alone. Get an experienced RVHVAC tech to look for the problem.

Propane gas can be extremely dangerous in more ways than one.

This especially true if the unit is under warranty. You mess something up and that's all the more excuse for the dealer to not deal with the problem.

greyeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 03:55 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

If you want to access the furnace on the '09 or '10 cf30sk you have to access it through the lower cabinet around the corner from the sink cabinet. When you open the cabinet you have to remove the cabinet floor and then the left wall panel in the cabinet. You will see the furnace back underneath and the water heater on a shelf above it. This is different than the '07 cf30sk since they added more cabinets aong the bathroom wall.
2010 CF30SK Patriot
2007 CF30SK
dalemac377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 08:28 AM   #8
Family Vacation Member

Dale I didn't realize they had added cabinets to the newer 30SK. But I am not going to go to look atthe new floorplan because then I will want one. Or worse yet the DW will be looking over my shoulder and then I will really be in trouble. She is always looking for more cabinet space.

2007 CF30SK Cruiser

Old 11-23-2009, 08:49 AM   #9
Full Time Camper

Kurt, that is what happened to me. We had an '07 cf30sk like you, then we camped next to Buddhabob1 and his '09 Patriot addition. Well, the DW took one look at the new bedroom layout and the new kitchen layout and that was it. I will say that I was very interested in all the extras that the Patriot addition provides. Good luck to you!!
2010 CF30SK Patriot
2007 CF30SK
dalemac377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 10:17 AM   #10
Seasonal Camper

One remote possibility is a mud dauber nest in the fan. This will make it vibrate like heck!

Viet Nam Vet 70-71 Da Nang

Real airplanes have two wings and big, round, engines
BipeFlier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 10:30 AM   #11
Family Vacation Member

It sounds like the blower squirrel cage or blower motor mounting is loose and allowed the motor to shift. I would call the dealer you purchased from and explain the situation. We bought ours from Bakers Rv in Addison AL but he has since shut down. The factory has sent me to Halls rv in Guntersville and seem very helpful. You might give them a call and see if they can't help you if your dealer won't.
malojeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 10:53 AM   #12
Weekend Camper

Thanks forall comments and advice. I have no expeirence working on gas furnaces Greyeagle and your advice is respected. I thought that I might be able to see if something had come loose but I have decided to let the dealer take that opportunity. I think malojeer may have the problem identified. It sounds exactly like something is loose and/or shifted.

Jasper, AL

2009 30SK

Old 11-24-2009, 08:09 AM   #13
Weekend Camper

When you have the dealer do the repair, please get details and share them with the forum.

Maggie Mae (Basset Hound)

2008 Ford F-250 CC 5.4l 3.73

2010 Cruiser CF30SK Patriot

Chazworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 10:37 AM   #14
Weekend Camper

Update on furnace noise. We took the Cruiser for a four day trip over the Thanksgiving holidays. The furnace did not make the noise again. We had heat without any problems. Don't have a clue what caused the noise and why it stopped after we towed. We still plan onhaving the dealer check it out when we get a chance.

Jasper, AL

2009 30SK

Old 11-30-2009, 07:45 AM   #15
Full Time Camper

Not hearing the sound everything is a guess but it may have been a mud daubber nest or just a lot of dust on the fan bldes.

Chrisnan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 10:05 AM   #16
Weekend Camper

You might be right about the mud dauber nest. If that's what it was I guess it jarred loose while towing. I am thankful we had heat.

Jasper, AL

2009 30SK